I will be starting my secong semester of music in my college in August and last semester I took fundamentals (basic theory), jazz guitar, chorus and piano lessons. I took chorus in place of ensemble because I was not prepared to read music well enough for the ensemble.
This next semester I 'should' be taking ensemble but I feel I am still not prepared for it, I feel that once I take Music Theory 1, then I'll be able to join the ensemble.
So I was wondering if I am completely required to take guitar/jazz ensemble next semester or could I just not take it yet? I don't want the school to tell me to take chorus again in place of the ensemble.
So is it okay to not take enesemble next semester? what happens when you don't take the classes that are group together for each semester?
And actually last semester my friend didn't take chorus along with the other music classes while I was told that I had to, and we both had the other classes the same; could i get away with it too?
Im not sure about your school in particular, but I would recommend working hard on reading, and taking the class. You don't want to blow off reading music, its a skill that is necessary for all of your music studies. Don't hesitate...... get into it now and take it seriously.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Im not sure about your school in particular, but I would recommend working hard on reading, and taking the class. You don't want to blow off reading music, its a skill that is necessary for all of your music studies. Don't hesitate...... get into it now and take it seriously.

Well, i do take it very seriously and I am not blowing it off I just know that I need more knowledge form lessons and practice to be able to play in the ensemble. I juts wanna know if there will be a problem if I don't take it yet.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Well, i do take it very seriously and I am not blowing it off I just know that I need more knowledge form lessons and practice to be able to play in the ensemble. I juts wanna know if there will be a problem if I don't take it yet.

I wouldn't know, but usually the classes are setup that way for a reason.

What kinds of things can you read now?

Something to consider is that you will get good at reading by doing it. In that ensemble you will be put in a situation were you will be reading all the time. At 1st it will probably be a struggle, but I doubt that you will be the only one. I would suggest taking the class and dealing with it. What you gain there will benefit all of your other studies.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I wouldn't know, but usually the classes are setup that way for a reason.

What kinds of things can you read now?

Something to consider is that you will get good at reading by doing it. In that ensemble you will be put in a situation were you will be reading all the time. At 1st it will probably be a struggle, but I doubt that you will be the only one. I would suggest taking the class and dealing with it. What you gain there will benefit all of your other studies.

Well I struggle a bit with reading all the notes on the staff, specially the chords.

You're right though so I guess I'll give it a try. But I got a question about the audition; what would they expect me to play? I know it might vary from other colleges but generally what would I have to do?
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Well I struggle a bit with reading all the notes on the staff, specially the chords.

You're right though so I guess I'll give it a try. But I got a question about the audition; what would they expect me to play? I know it might vary from other colleges but generally what would I have to do?

For the ensemble? Im not sure, I had to audition to get in the program, but not for individual classes.

Try a method book that deals with reading in the higher positions. ( I know some of mel bays do ). You could also try some classical pieces, or even reading some jazz standards.

If you work on Jazz standards play the melody an octave higher than written. Try it in different positions.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
For the ensemble? Im not sure, I had to audition to get in the program, but not for individual classes.

Try a method book that deals with reading in the higher positions. ( I know some of mel bays do ). You could also try some classical pieces, or even reading some jazz standards.

If you work on Jazz standards play the melody an octave higher than written. Try it in different positions.

I thought that I had to audition for the ensemble too, I guess I'll have to ask the school. Well thank you very much your help!
Quote by TrasherFromHell
I thought that I had to audition for the ensemble too, I guess I'll have to ask the school. Well thank you very much your help!

NP & good luck!

PS...

You should also ask around and find out what they are reading in class. Maybe copy some music from someone thats in the class, and use it to prepare.
shred is gaudy music