Page 1 of 2
depends on your drummer. and proabbly, maybe. but you wont have enough headroom.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I'm not sure that's gonna cut it for a jam...but maybe for a gig if a PA is involved. I couldn't imagine using just 5 watts for them though..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

well depends on the band (i.e. really heavy hitting drummers) but yes and yes

and by really small gigs its really small gigs
5 watt will definantly not cut it stand alone for a gig
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
A 5 watt tube amp is going to be more for you hanging out around the house or doing some recording. Did you know that Jimmy Page used a 5 watt amp and a telecaster to record the first to Zep albums? Brian May always used a homemade 5 watt tube amp in front of his wall of AC30s for the tone. I have an old Valco manufactured 5 watt tube amp and it's got the best tone of any of my amps.
that 8in speaker will be the down fall of that amp. it might sound decent at bedroom levels. but cranked it will probly get ugly in a hurry. PA and miked at low lower volume it might work.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 22, 2008,
You'd need a bigger speaker in it to compete with a drummer. And a bit more wattage too, my 5 watt with a cab struggles.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
when i had my 5w blackheart in my appt, my room mate could hear me playing when he was outside and half a block away. of course he couldnt hear much more than that i was playing, but still. so how loud does it get? fairly loud. will it compete with a drummer, probably not. if the drummer isnt a hard hitter and you dont mind having no semblence of a clean sound, you may be able to scrape by in a small bar gig. anything more than the size of a smallish room and i dont think 5w will cut it.
Quote by Acquiescence
well this amp

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=63083&sourcetype=singleitemsearch

right here looks decent and cheap and loud-- but i cannot find any input/reviews on this amp at all.---- and im wondering can you practice at quiet levels with a 18 watt tube amp?

That one should do what you need it to do. I would recommend that over the Royal 8. Those things suck!

Go for that v-18.
Quote by Acquiescence
well this amp

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=63083&sourcetype=singleitemsearch

right here looks decent and cheap and loud-- but i cannot find any input/reviews on this amp at all.---- and im wondering can you practice at quiet levels with a 18 watt tube amp?

thats pretty damn cheap..............would make me wonder a little about quality. anyone have this amp?? reviews please.
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
How come I've heard people say that 5w amps won't work for metal?

Probably because most of the 5w tube amps out there arent really metal amps and cant get enough gain.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Will the black heart be able to fuzz pedals and other dstortion overdrive pedals through it well?
Quote by Christ Lover
Will the black heart be able to fuzz pedals and other dstortion overdrive pedals through it well?

yes it takes them very well.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Wouldn't a 5w amp with monster distortion be a big seller since it's small enough for all the kids at home to use?
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
Wouldn't a 5w amp with monster distortion be a big seller since it's small enough for all the kids at home to use?

That's why they make the Krank Rev Jr. Probably won't be loud enough with a (metal) drummer though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 23, 2008,
It's loud enough to get you arrested, but not loud enough to compete with a drummer imo. Tried it for grins, and it just doesn't have the cut. And I tried a mid heavy setup with a tubescreamer, vintage speakers, and a JB loaded Jackson. Part of the reason I got my 60 watt Crate VC6
Quote by CJRocker
It's loud enough to get you arrested, but not loud enough to compete with a drummer imo. Tried it for grins, and it just doesn't have the cut. And I tried a mid heavy setup with a tubescreamer, vintage speakers, and a JB loaded Jackson. Part of the reason I got my 60 watt Crate VC6

Are you guys talking about the Krank Rev Jr? I have one and I can't even turn it up past .5 in my house. Man I wish I could at least get it up in the 4-6 range....
1. My amp is switchable from 5 tube watts to 25 watts. Wattage is more about headroom than volume really when set to the 25 watt mode its only about 1 step above 5 watts (example, on 5 watts I play my amp at 4, on 25 watts I play it with the volume on 3, etc). So if you dont need the headroom the wattage is fine.

2. The speaker size is what is more important IMO when talking about low watt tube amps. I was looking to be a Crate V series amp and I've talked to people about them and they are generally said to be a good deal for the price. I think 2X12 and 18watts is perfect for wat you want and the V series does have a nice crunch to it.

3. I really wish there was a low wattage tube amp for high gain but I think its generally that 5 watt tube amps are usually class A and lack the gain but retain a perfect warmth for classic rock etc. I think its a marketing thing also in a way. Why let your customer buy an amp for 250$ that will do what they want when you can make them buy a 50 watt amp for 1000$. But I'm guesing its more of a tube power to gain ratio thing if thats possible.

Anyways when I'm playing at 5 watts its loud enough to shake the walls at about 4 or 5 and should be fine for a jam with a drummer who knows how to consider his band mates and 5 watts is awesome for a warm sound when recording as well as 18 watts. I said go crate for the 2X12 and nice crunch. Good deal and whenever you want to upgrade it shouldnt be hard. Good luck dude.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold
Are you guys talking about the Krank Rev Jr? I have one and I can't even turn it up past .5 in my house. Man I wish I could at least get it up in the 4-6 range....

I am, I don't know about CJ though. Have you ever played with a drummer?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude

No, I've never played with a drummer but I'm sure the Rev Jr halfstack would have no problem playing with the loudest of drummers.
screw 5 watt my amp is over 9000!!!!
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
Quote by mmjohn
thats pretty damn cheap..............would make me wonder a little about quality. anyone have this amp?? reviews please.

the 1x12 version is 20 cheaper--- but i cannot find any input on this amp

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=0&TempID=1&STRID=10325&Method=2&CategoryID=0&BrandID=1606&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&SearchPhrase=+v18&Contains=%2Av18%2A&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

would it be ok for bedroom practicing if you just shove master volume to like 1 or would iit be too loud
I just looked into this myself and came to the quick conclusion after trying out the V18-212, that it would be way too loud for bedroom practice. I ended up with getting the 5w/3w Blackheart head and cab. This works out for me because I also have a seperate B-52 AT-100 head with a 4x12 cab to plug into if I need some more volume, and thats why I got the seperate head version-to use that 4X12 cab if I want. You might want to consider waiting for the 15w/7w Blackheart that would be coming out in a month or two, or if you go with the 5w Blackheart, maybe get an additional speaker cabinet for gigging.
Quote by aznrockerdude

I am talking about the VJ through a 412. Never tried the Krank as there are no Krank dealers for like 60 miles.
Quote by 2HoldOr2Fold

Get an attenuator, or don't worry about it because with high gain amps you don't really need to crank them to sound great, although they do sound better at like half volume.
Quote by aberrant
Brian May always used a homemade 5 watt tube amp in front of his wall of AC30s for the tone.

Hey - not trying to be an a**hole, but Brian May's live rig was just the wall of AC30's. He used the little amp (the Deacy) on early Queen albums.
Its probably not bad but I've never tried it. For myself I prefer the options with getting the 5w Blackheart. I.e. full EQ, can plug into other cabinets, switch to 3 watts...
what about a 5 watt tube amp with 10 inch speaker like

I would just go for the V18-112. I loved that amp when I tried it. Nearly fender cleans and decent gain. Not metal gain by any means. Quiet enough for me in a condo (or you in a bedroom) and could keep up with a drummer easily. Won't have clean headroom against most drummers without paying attention to your guitar's volume knob and how hard you pick. Just one opinion.
Quote by Acquiescence
well this amp

This is your best bet. You can practice at low volumes with a 15-18W amp by using the master volume. You may not get cranked power tube break-up, but that doesn't make it bad. You want that much power -at a minimum, IMHO- to cut thru with a band. More if you want cleans at those volumes.

I just got a higher end 5W amp with a 12" speaker, and had trouble getting over a GIRL drummer with the amp practically wide open. If there was another guitar or keys in the room, I'd've been sunk.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
This is your best bet. You can practice at low volumes with a 15-18W amp by using the master volume. You may not get cranked power tube break-up, but that doesn't make it bad. You want that much power -at a minimum, IMHO- to cut thru with a band. More if you want cleans at those volumes.

I just got a higher end 5W amp with a 12" speaker, and had trouble getting over a GIRL drummer with the amp practically wide open. If there was another guitar or keys in the room, I'd've been sunk.

+1

This crate V18 in either 1x12 or 2x12 is perfect why ask for more?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
+1

This crate V18 in either 1x12 or 2x12 is perfect why ask for more?

its 38 pounds and im going to college in like a year
In the EPI forums a dude posted he gigged with his VJ - IN A GYM no less - used a PA of course and a Pod XT and everyone including the other bands were completely blown away at his tone from that lil' Bugger (and the POD too) and through the PA it was HUGE sounding. Didn't even have it wide open.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Acquiescence
its 38 pounds and im going to college in like a year

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

Perfect for the studio or jams or practice. And a great blue marvel speaker.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

Perfect for the studio or jams or practice. And a great blue marvel speaker.

Erm... The Blue Marvel is hardly a "great" speaker, and the Windsor combo has demonstrated itself to be a huge disappointment by most people's standards. The Crate V18 (if it can be found in a 1x12 config) would seem to be the best bet. That, or another 15W amp like the Crate V16 or Fender Blues Jr, used.

Depending on the TS's timetable, the Epi VS looks pretty promising, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Erm... The Blue Marvel is hardly a "great" speaker, and the Windsor combo has demonstrated itself to be a huge disappointment by most people's standards. The Crate V18 (if it can be found in a 1x12 config) would seem to be the best bet. That, or another 15W amp like the Crate V16 or Fender Blues Jr, used.

Depending on the TS's timetable, the Epi VS looks pretty promising, too.

The crate V18 1X12 as previously suggested or the valve senior both look good.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Page 1 of 2