Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

I currently play (in the loosest sense of the word!) classical guitar, but I've always wanted to play electric; I only actually started classical because the tutor insisted. Anyway, I've decided that if I don't buy an electric guitar now I'll never get one, and I REALLY want to play. I've read the stickied threads and run a few searches, but I'm still not sure what to look for.

I listen to pretty much anything; I guess you'd say I have eclectic tastes. I don't think I'd be playing metal much, but besides that... anything from ska to blues to classic rock. And all that lovely stuff in-between. Mainly blues and classic rock, I'd imagine. I apologise - I've been rather vague so far!

What's making this most difficult is my budget. It's highly unlikely that I can stretch any further than £200 (and, if I'm honest, over £150 will be at a push) At the moment I'm leaning towards purchasing second hand, if that helps; obviously I have a budget, but I don't want to buy a guitar that I'll want to replace in a few months - I don't have the funds to do that! I don't have an amp, either, which further complicates matters.

I've seen this on Gumtree:
http://birmingham.gumtree.com/birmingham/46/26227346.html

They're not MASSIVELY far away, so viewing is viable. I've been told that it has 'minor scratches, but nothing noticable'. But I don't know whether or not that guitar would suit the sort of things that I'm wanting to play (I'm hoping you can help me there), nor whether at that price I'd be as well to get a new one (know nothing about the amp).

Apologies once again for my cluelessness, and I'll appreciate any advice that any of you can offer.

So, Jim, can you fix it?
dude, i'll do you a deal, a roland cube30 and a epiphone les paul special II for £100
london se1?
epiphones are pretty good guitars, i had one for a while and if i was a beginner i would love it.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by GaijinFoot
dude, i'll do you a deal, a roland cube30 and a epiphone les paul special II for £100
london se1?

if your serious

the dude who made this take this deal ASAP, cubes are great amps, and epi les pauls are great novice-intermediate guitars.

great deal
i would look into gaginfoots deal its not bad at all, try bargaining him down tho, oh and if thats a g-400 then yes its a good deal
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Blimey guys, very quick responses here!

I am very interested in GaijinFoot's offer... however, I'm in the Midlands, about 2 and a half hours away, and don't have easy-access to a car, certainly not for such a distance. Any suggestions?

Also, apples and oranges, but as far as possible, how does the LP compare to the SG? In terms of styles suited, perhaps? Is it any more than a matter of personal preference? I have a friend with an LP-type (not an Epiphone - Crafter, apparently) that I could maybe have a look at, but don't know anyone with anything like an SG. =/
Last edited by Spudnik at Jul 22, 2008,
GajiinFoot's deal kicks ass, you should walk 2.5 miles for that xD. I actually have that guitar (my beginner guitar) and it was perfect for AC/DC, Zeppelin, the classic stuff.
Quote by Austyn6661
GajiinFoot's deal kicks ass, you should walk 2.5 miles for that xD. I actually have that guitar (my beginner guitar) and it was perfect for AC/DC, Zeppelin, the classic stuff.

Whoops! Can tell I need sleep - 2 and a half hours, I meant.

Anyone know anything about courier charges for this sort of thing?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Mmmmm... Prize...

*edit*

Sorry, Daydream..
Take that guys offer.. Its a great offer, My friend who takes guitar lessons with me has a Epiphone LP Special II and he quotes.. "ohh.. I bought it for £800"

Well. now.. I know.. hes bull****ting
Epiphone special II are £100 new =)

But yeah take that deal it is awesome and ask how much p+p is even if its £30 its still i good deal!

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Yeah that sounds like a good deal, jump on a train or get some with a car...

BTW: I don't know the guy selling.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
to be honest with you I love my cube but I just got a valveking, as for the les paul I borrowed it to a mate for the last 6 months and just got it back again. I used that set up for my first year or so of playing guitar, it's a shame to let go that little peice of history for me but you know, valveking isnt going to pay for itself.
I'd guess that delivery would be around £20-30? I'll use citylink as there is one close by and they are very good.
how about getting a train down? shouldnt be more than £20 return.
anywho, for a beginner set up it's one of the best and that fact you are getting it about 50% off retail price its a bargin.
I pm'd you btw.
Yep, I have a Special II and it's a great beginner guitar. You won't be displeased.
SG Style + Micro Cube = win

maybe add in a pedal =P
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I agree on the Les Paul special II. Probably the best buy for you.
you should probably punch your tutor. Anyone who forces you to play in a particular style (or on a particular instrument) because it's "better" is a **** teacher if you ask me. you teach the pupil the music he/she wants to play. EDIT: please note that I'm only joking about punching your tutor.

anyway...

i've seen yamaha pacifica 112s go for £139 (new)... couple that to a microcube (£65 i think) and you're around the £200 mark. Of course, you might not be able to stretch to that, but if you ask me that's a pretty good beginner setup (though i'm sure those vintages which steven seagull linked to are decent too, just i haven't tried them). you'd need a lead/cable, strap and some picks (and a spare set of strings or so too)... if you can get those prices in a local shop, you *might* be able to talk them into throwing those accessories in for free... but if you have to go online, you won't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I quit lessons in October - I didn't have the time or motivation to work towards classical grades. I like being able to play without the pressure of working towards an examination... when it wasn't really in the style I wanted to play anyway, it kinda took the fun out of it all.

I'm probably going to take up GaijinFoot on his offer, but given the style that I'm most likely to play would I be better suited to a LP or an SG (or indeed a yamaha pacifica!)?

Also, out of interest, is faulty wiring in a neck pickup repairable?

Thanks again for all the help!
Quote by Spudnik
(a) I quit lessons in October - I didn't have the time or motivation to work towards classical grades. I like being able to play without the pressure of working towards an examination... when it wasn't really in the style I wanted to play anyway, it kinda took the fun out of it all.

(b) I'm probably going to take up GaijinFoot on his offer, but given the style that I'm most likely to play would I be better suited to a LP or an SG (or indeed a yamaha pacifica!)?

(c) Also, out of interest, is faulty wiring in a neck pickup repairable?

Thanks again for all the help!

(a) yeah, i can understand that. I did piano exams when i was younger, but i never did any in guitar (or indeed drums) because they were for fun.

(b) i haven't tried the LP special, that's the problem. From what i hear, though, it's very much a starter guitar- i suspect a pacifica 112 would be a better guitar. it might be worth asking if he'd split up the epi and cube, though, and if he would, assuming you try it and it's all working etc., maybe take the cube off his hands? i'm not trying to screw up anyone's sales, but at the end of the day, this forum is for advice and not selling, so I'll give advice.

I'd have thought the pacifica might be best- the fact that it has a bridge humbucker (good for rock and heavier stuff) and middle and neck single coils (good for cleaner stuff, blues etc.) means it's extremely versatile. there's nothing wrong with an sg or lp either, just if you ask me having a mixture of humbuckers and single coils on your first instrument is a good thing, because you can cover a lot of ground.

(c) yes, assuming it is just the wiring which is wrong (that there's nothing else more serious wrong), and if you know how to solder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks - we were actually just discussing splitting. £70 for the cube on its own, apparently (+£20 courier). I'm torn!

I've had a look for a Pacifica 112 online, but all of the stores seem to say that it's no longer available? Would you recommend going second hand to get a better guitar, given my budget? I don't want to have to upgrade too soon.

Thanks for your patience. =P
well, second-hand will get you a higher-spec guitar for the same money, the problem is that if you're only new, you probably don't know how to set it up properly, etc., and there's no guarantee that a second-hand guitar will be all that well set-up (unless you buy from a shop, which will make the prices a bit higher). A higher-spec guitar which is badly set-up is likely to be less use than a worse guitar which is well set-up!

regarding the cube: it's up to you- £90... you can get them new for about £130 i think (but obviously unless you have a close shop, you'd have to pay postage on top of that too).

there's a new pacifica 112 out recently, the 112V. it seems to be more like £170 at any of the online websites I've seen, but i've seen it in shops in northern ireland for £140. Not quite sure what's going on there, as a lot of the time our prices are higher than England (but then every so often, we get something a bit cheaper).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by Spudnik
So, Jim, can you fix it?

Yes, I can. Seeing as you're from England, like me, that makes things simpler. Haven't read thread by the way, so someone may have already made these recommendations. I also hope you haven't already bought anything. That Epiphone SG with Marshall amp deal you found is decent. It's a good deal because the guitar appears to be the Epiphone SG G400, which is a good little guitar. Unfortunately, the amp is a piece of crap, and you'll want to replace that pretty soon. Which marrs the deal, somewhat. The G400 can be bought new for around £180. Ask him if he's willing to sell the guitar on it's own- you don't want the amp. If not, consider buying it anyway, but also consider these:

Yamaha Pacifica 112V - £160 (new)

A great, great little guitar. Better than the Epiphone G400, in my opinion. It has won many awards over the years (consecutively, year after year) for being the best guitar under £200. It's a Strat copy with a humbucker in the bridge, and covers a wide variety of tones. Which really goes with what you want, better than the Epiphone. What's more, they've recently upgraded it, with better, custom Yamaha Alnico pickups (I've played them, they sound great), better neck and stuff. Really, the only issue with the guitar is the crap tremolo. Just block it off, and you've got a stonking little guitar that you'll always play, no matter how many expensive guitars you get. I know people who gig with their Yamaha Pacifica 112s.

Great guitar, can't recommend it enough. Unlike other cheap guitars, it has professional appointments, and is even made out of alder (like real Fender Strats), rather than agathis or plywood. The recent upgrade is great for two reasons- you can buy the new model new, OR- get a really great deal on one of the old ones second hand, since it's inferior spec. The old one is still a great guitar, just not as good.

Roland Micro Cube - £60 (new)

Pretty much the best practice amp in the world. At 2W, you can really turn it up. It's perfect for home use, and even has several very useable amp models. I have one, it sounds great. I know people with £1,000+ valve amps who prefer to use their Micro Cubes at home. It has two things in common with the Pacifica- it'll always have a use in your collection. No matter how many fancy amps you get. And it's also received a 2008 upgraded model- the Micro Cube RX. Again, same pros and cons. The RX goes for much more money new (it's like £150) and features significant upgrades. Still, the old Micro Cube is a rockin' little amp, and can be gotten for cheap second hand, thanks to the new model. I should know, I bought my Micro Cube a few weeks back, pre-owned, for £40.

So, I recommend those two. Second-hand, you can easily get the old models of the Pacifica 112 and Roland Micro Cube, and come under even £150. I would urge you to stretch to the upgraded Pacifica. If you can really spend £200, get the new Pacifica 112V, and a second-hand Roland Micro Cube. You'll be rockin', and you won't need any other gear for ages. That SG/amp deal is a decent price, but the amp is really lame, and the guitar is not as good as a Pacifica 112.
There is a guitar shop just around the corner, but I'm not sure what their prices are. I'll see what they have in stock. Alternatively, I do have a friend who's a talented guitarist. I'm sure he could help me set it up if I asked him nicely. Still not written off the deal from Gaijin, however..

So you reckon Yamaha is the way to go?

Edit to say: didn't see above post, reading now =P

How does the micro cube compare to the 30? Would I be better to spend an extra £30 and get a pre-owned 30?
Last edited by Spudnik at Jul 23, 2008,
Depends. The Roland Cube 30 is more of a 'small venue' sort of amp. For gigging, you'd want a much better amp than the 'Cube 30. For just home use/practice, though, there is no better than the Micro Cube. It's only 2W, but believe me it get's ****ing loud lol! You won't ever gig with it, but it'll always be your go-to amp at home, regardless of what other amps you have. Whereas the Cube 30 will be too loud for your house, and become obsolete for gigging once you get a new amp. You could use the Cube 30 at home, but you'll never get to turn it up. Amps (even solid state ones) sound best when you dime the volume up.

Depending on your needs (and I have you down as an 'at home practising' kind of guitarist), I heavily recommend the Micro Cube over all others. Someone will undoubtedly recommend an Epiphone Valve Junior (5W valve amp). While they are sweet amps, and good for the house- unless you're a really experienced guitarist with tons of pedals and stuff, you'll only get very few tones out of it. The 'Cube has several (good!) amp models, and a whole bunch of BOSS effects built in. It's tailor-made for your needs, if I've got the right idea about what your needs are. You just don't need 30W at home. You probably won't even be allowed to turn your Micro Cube all the way up, lol! Then in a couple years when you're an amazing guitarist, you can go out and buy a sic gigging amp. You'll still use your Micro Cube at home, and it won't be obsolete.

Try and get the Pacifica 112V. But the old 112 is still a great little guitar. The new one just has so many great upgrades, that for an extra £20-30 it's not to be ignored.
I disagree entirely. The Marshall MG10 is just a piece of crap. Epiphones are decent guitars, but the Pacifica hangs them out to dry as far as quality is concerned. Trust me dude- Yamaha Pacifica 112V, and Roland Micro Cube. You won't need anything else for home practice.
If I got the LP, I might need to replace one of the pickups. How much should I expect to pay for that? Also, if I was able to get the LP alone for £30, there'd be a courier charge of £20-30 on top. I might be able to take a look at some guitars tomorrow - most of the places I've looked at SAY they stock the 112V. Just the small issue of not knowing how to actually play an electric if I'm going to test
It does sound very nice. Not that I'd ever expect to get anything like that out of it, of course! So you guys reckon a new 112V over a second-hand somethingorother for the same kind of money?

Just found out I can get a 5% discount at the guitar shop round the corner, so will see how they compare. Not going to rush into anything, mind.

Out of interest, what are 'Shine' guitars like? Inferior to yamaha? Saw this and thought I may as well ask - can't seem to find much about it.
i'm with martin scott. the pacifica 112v is really nice for the money, and the microcube is cool (and since it can run on batteries, as he says, there's a chance you might always use it at some point, even when you get a better amp- say for playing in your garden when it's a nice day, or playing on the beach, etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So you reckon the micro over the 30, too? And pacifica over something second hand, even if I can get someone to set it up? Thanks.

Does look like a nice little guitar. Never been keen on the strat-look, but 'tis growing on me!

Don't suppose you could suggest something relatively easy that I could learn just for trying one out? Preferably not 'Smoke on the Water'!
i'd learn a few open/cowboy chords (G, C, D normally sound good, and you can play single strings to arpeggiate them, that's what i normally do in the shop ), that'd let you test out the cleans, and then maybe learn something along the lines of smoke on the water (sorry) to test the distortion.

i'm not sure if i'd get the micro over the 30x; there's probably not all that much point in getting something which *might* be useful later, if it's not as useful now, lol. But if you can't stretch to the 30, then the micro is still nice (and the battery thing is cool, though i suspect it eats batteries for breakfast).

second hand: really depends what comes up. if it's a smoking deal, maybe. as you say, you could probably get a luthier/local music store to set it up, if it's a good enough deal (you'd have to pay, though).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I should be able to stretch to the 30, just thought that the micro was supposed to be better for home use. >_<

I can get a micro for £45 delivered and the 30 for £90, both second hand, but I don't want £45 to deter me if one's going to be better than the other in the long term.
Just to clear things up, its not the 30X. its the 30. it doesnt have that power squeezer. not sure what that does anyway.
Aye, sorry about that, guys.

Don't know where I got that idea from!
Quote by Spudnik
So you reckon the micro over the 30, too? And pacifica over something second hand, even if I can get someone to set it up? Thanks.

You can get the old Pacifica 112 second-hand very easily, but you're unlikely to find the new 112V second-hand. It's up to you. I'd go for the 112V if it were possible, though the 112 is still a great guitar. Especially if you can get it for like £70.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure if i'd get the micro over the 30x; there's probably not all that much point in getting something which *might* be useful later, if it's not as useful now, lol. But if you can't stretch to the 30, then the micro is still nice (and the battery thing is cool, though i suspect it eats batteries for breakfast).

For home use, which he has said is what he needs an amp for, the Micro Cube would be a better choice. The Roland Cube 30 is an amateur gigging amp, not a home amp. Trust me, I have a solid state 30W amp, and it's just useless at home (not that great for gigs, either). Like I said, I have friends with really expensive valve amps that just use their Micro Cubes at home. It's tailor-made for that environment. As for batteries- you don't need to use batteries. It comes with a wall plug. If you do use batteries, it takes 6 AA batteries, and the official documentation states that it will run for 20 hours on one set of batteries. In practice, I have found this to be a very conservative figure. I'm at something like 22 hours now, and they're still going.

Yamaha Pacifica 112V and Roland Micro Cube FTW. You won't regret it, dude.
So much conflicting information! =P

Yeah, if I'm gonna get the 112, I figured I may as well spend a bit more and get the newer one. But I'm guessing you don't think that I could get a better (different) second hand guitar for the same price as a new 112?

Sorry about all the questions. Just want to get it right... I really appreciate the advice
Stick with the yam! They sound awesome its possible you could pick one up off ebay for cheaper but if you buy it from a shop you have the guarentee to fall back on =)

Everyone needs the advice to start with and thats why we are here =D

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

So you're getting the Micro Cube definitely? Ace.

Quote by Spudnik
So much conflicting information! =P

Yeah, if I'm gonna get the 112, I figured I may as well spend a bit more and get the newer one.

Excellent stuff, you won't regret it. I'd say get the old 112 if you can score a bangin' deal on it. If you haggle hard with the seller, using the new upgraded model as a reason you shouldn't be paying much for the old model.. and if you haggle super, super hard.. you might get it south of £70. The old 112 is still a great guitar, and if you get a chance to buy it for peanuts, then do so. But yeah, if it's only a matter of like £20-30, get the new 112V. You said yourself you can spend £200, and a new Pacifica 112V and used Micro Cube will come well under that. You might even luck out and find a used 112V, though I highly doubt it. The 112V has pretty much set the budget guitar world alight. In my opinion, it's as good, or even better then a Mexican Fender (which would cost £300+!). If you've got the chance to, get the 112V. It's the only guitar you'll need for a long long time.

Quote by Spudnik
But I'm guessing you don't think that I could get a better (different) second hand guitar for the same price as a new 112?

Sorry about all the questions. Just want to get it right... I really appreciate the advice

Well, not really, no. Not unless some idiot is clearing out his loft, and doesn't know anything about guitars, and you get a 1959 Gibson Les Paul for like £100 lol. But no, seriously, at around £150 (new), there is no better. The 112V is, as mention, on a par/better than guitars that cost twice as much. Yamaha's craftmanship, even at their lower-end, is very high. I have a Yamaha RBX170 bass, and it's really nice. Should be a piece of crap for the price (I paid £130), but people are always saying how nice it is. Yamaha have a high level of quality, and design guitars that are basic, but very musical things. They aren't ornaments like a Gibson or whatever, but they're great. The Pacifica 812V (around £500) is better than an American Fender, lol!

Anyway, while I highly recommend the Pacifica 112V, if you had to get another, for the same price.. you're looking at Epiphone, Agile, and Vintage. I'm sure there's some other decent budget makes. Epiphone are not as good as they were a few years back. The current ones are made in China, and aren't as good as the pre-2004 ones which were made in Korea. I have a Korean Epi Les Paul, and it's very close to my USA Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition. Very close, indeed. The Chinses ones are pieces of crap though, in my opinion. So if you're going to buy Epiphone, get an older one. I've never played an Agile, but people rave about them. Vintage make great budget guitars, though I've heard rumblings lately from Vintage fans that the quality has gone downhill. I don't know.

I'm going to say it again, 'cause it's worth saying- the Yamaha Pacifica 112, year after year, wins awards for being by far the best guitar in it's price range. The new 112V smokes guitars twice it's price. If I was going to get a Mexican Fender- I would just get two 112Vs lol. You will love that guitar. From what you've said, the Roland Micro Cube is your best bet. It sounds great (you won't believe your ears the first time you hear it), and is just perfect for home use, jamming and practicing. You don't need 30W for the house. And when it comes time for gigging, the Cube 30 isn't going to do you much justice, you're going to want something better.

Yamaha Pacifica 112/112V and Roland Micro Cube get my vote. I have nothing else to say on this matter, lol.
Page 1 of 2