Let's face it, I have a ****ty amp. It's a Marshall MG halfstack. It sucks, the tone sucks.

My band is going to record next week.

Can can manipulation on the computer make a bad tone into a decent one?
Last edited by Paul Carbonella at Jul 22, 2008,
I dont think so, but im not sure
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Its possible. Wayne Static of Static-X has confessed to using MGs, and his recorded tone isnt too bad IMO. Altho it will take a good program, i think its doable.
Where are you recording, because studios will often have amps you can use.
There is poetry in despair.
I'll admit I have an MG halfstack too, and for all everone bashes them, their clean is much better than most other half stack in that price range, but yeah the distortion sucks, so I usually record through boss pedals and that works pretty good if you don't have a ridiculously explensive recording program. Also if you are going for a heavier tone and haven't tried this already, try the amp on a guitar with EMG active pickups. I couldn't believe the difference between my guitars with Seymore Duncan Passive pickups and Ibanez stock pickups, etc. compared to the EMGs, my personal favorite is the EMG 89s for this amp, so I guess my advice would be start by getting as many guitars and effects you can manae to borrow from people and you should find something that works.
Quote by Paul Carbonella

Can can manipulation on the computer make a bad tone into a decent one?

There's an old adage in the recording industry that says something like "You can't polish a turd. Well... you can, but in the end, even if you spend all day polishing, all you end up with is a shiny turd." The polite way of saying that is "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

However... all is not lost.

Good point above about wherever you are recording will probably have an amp you can use. I let other bands use my gear when they come to record if they need to or want to.

A couple other things to try:
I have a little Behringer DI box that takes one signal and splits it into two. It's active, so it doesn't cut each signal in half like a passive one would. Plug the guitar into the input, and run one of the two outputs to your amp. Run the other output (probably an XLR) into the mixing board or interface or whatever. This will record the sound of your guitar as perfectly clean as it gets.

Here is what you do with it:
1. Try an amp simulator plug-in. Mixed with a real miked up amp, they can sound surprisingly good and add a dimension to your original tone that could really work well.
2a) Re-amping: Run a line out from your mixer or your interface and send that clean guitar tone to another amp later... maybe your friend's amp if you really need to after he has recorded his part.... Record the result as it NOW sounds coming through an amp. Alternately, run that signal through a Pod or V-amp and dial in a sound that works.
2b) Re-amping the PROPER way: Same as above, but you put a little device in line that brings the signal at line level and brings it up to a level that your guitar would actually push out. Radial makes one. I think they call it a re-amp box or something. The studio might have something like this. It makes the amp or modeler you use in the end actually respond as if you were actually playing a guitar instead of running a clean signal from a mixer.

Here it is: http://www.radialeng.com/re-prormp.htm

It's not really expensive as studio gear goes, but it's not cheap either. Hard to say if the studio would have one, but it would be a really handy tool exactly for situations like this.

You could go back a week later after borrowing someone's amp and re-amp your tracks!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 22, 2008,
There was a dude on here not too long ago that recorded a few metal tunes with an MG250DFX and it sounded really good. I have the same amp and I disagree with most people that bash the MGs tone. It's not a tube amp for sure, but for a solid state amp you could do much much worse. If you'll take the time and sit down with amp and tweak you can find a decent tone. Also, don't scoop your mids, and don't use the contour knob unless absolutley necessary.

Now to find that thread....

EDIT:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780970&highlight=Marshall
and
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Richard777/
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Jul 23, 2008,