for my year of guitar lessons, i learned by using TAB. my teacher never really bothered to teach me any of actual note reading, since i didn't really get it. i've been playing for almost 2 years and i'm starting highschool soon, where we'll probably have to learn notes for guitar class instead of tab...since tab is like cheating.
i'm a little concerned about practically having to start over.

any tips? advice? is it really hard to learn?
RAWR Means I Love You In Dino
I personally do not like notes at all, seeing as how I had to learn em for guitar class as well. They really arent too hard if you know where the notes are on the guitar, but tabs are still much easier for chords and stuff like that.
i recommend starting right away learning music. it's not incredibly hard and very useful. pick up a book to help u learn to read music. tab is great for the guitar but only the guitar.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
its easy to learn if you pay attention

tho as you get into songs you end up tabing it it anyway

at least at my school we do

most teachers never really care anyway

but then again it depends on the teacher and the school

my school isnt the greatest and the guitar teacher is really only there for the almighty orchestra.... fag
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Not really, but it's hard to get good at sight reading. A good tip I can offer when you come to sight reading is to learn to identify intervals rather than notes. Obviously you need to know which note's which on a staff, but it's hard to think like this at speed.

But just stick with learning the basics for now. If you want to learn a bit before your classes start look at the lessons on http://www.musictheory.net and get some music books to practice reading.
Quote by Eirien
Not really, but it's hard to get good at sight reading. A good tip I can offer when you come to sight reading is to learn to identify intervals rather than notes. Obviously you need to know which note's which on a staff, but it's hard to think like this at speed.

But just stick with learning the basics for now. If you want to learn a bit before your classes start look at the lessons on http://www.musictheory.net and get some music books to practice reading.

That link is a god send. Thank you so much. I've been wanting to start theory, but I don't have the financial abilities to have a teacher.
You don't need a teacher to learn. Everything that you need to start off being decent, or great depending on how YOU are with the guitar, is free and avilable for you on the internet, and more specifically, UG.

But, I like tabs, and if you can use tabs, I say why not? They're easier to read and they give you the same point as reading notes. But if you want to learn theory, just know where every note on your guitar is, and once you do that, the rest will just flow.

Remember the rule that B has no sharp and C has no flat, and E has no sharp and F has no flat. All the other notes have sharps though. F#, C#, A# exc...
Quote by JennJenn
for my year of guitar lessons, i learned by using TAB. my teacher never really bothered to teach me any of actual note reading, since i didn't really get it. i've been playing for almost 2 years and i'm starting highschool soon, where we'll probably have to learn notes for guitar class instead of tab...since tab is like cheating.
i'm a little concerned about practically having to start over.

any tips? advice? is it really hard to learn?

Well tab isnt "cheating", but if you want to learn to read you might consider getting yourself a standard method book, and start teaching yourself through there.

btw, did you ask your teacher to teach you to read music?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by fob12
You don't need a teacher to learn. Everything that you need to start off being decent, or great depending on how YOU are with the guitar, is free and avilable for you on the internet, and more specifically, UG.

But, I like tabs, and if you can use tabs, I say why not? They're easier to read and they give you the same point as reading notes. But if you want to learn theory, just know where every note on your guitar is, and once you do that, the rest will just flow.

Remember the rule that B has no sharp and C has no flat, and E has no sharp and F has no flat. All the other notes have sharps though. F#, C#, A# exc...

I know, but teachers can help. Educational systems are there because you can't learn everything on the internet.

But I have learned a lot out of school, and I've learned all of my music outside of school.
the new batman movie kicked butt, i went to go see it at midnight the night it came out.
Quote by ACDCRocksPM
the new batman movie kicked butt, i went to go see it at midnight the night it came out.

Do you know this is the wrong forum?
Reading tab and reading music feels like its using a completely different part of your mind.

When I'm reading music (and I know alot of guitarist's/bassist do this) I think in intervals and degrees and I end up using alot of brain power.

Tabs tell you what to play, exactly how to play it and are good if you just want to learn a quick song.

I sort of liken reading music like crossword and sudoku puzzles. Maybe its not completely necessary, but its fun
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Learning to read isn't as hard as you'd think. Most people overestimate it. It's even easier to learn if you know your fretboard notes off quite well.

What is hard is to sight read fluently. There's a difference between being able to work out something and being able to read it fairly spot on instantly. You want to strive towards the second.
I recommend Guitar Freak Workstation with SightReader Master.
It's totally adjustable to the users level and works on reading notes with rhythms. I've looked around and there's nothing for guitar or bass software that deals with sight-reading but this. The download site with some info is www.prolevelguitar.com
PS it does chords as well. From what I can see, you can upgrade the software to a whole bunch of tools I haven't seen before... there's some videos on them.