Hey Folks -

I found a used Fender Hot Rod listed that looks perfect for me. It's the 40w 1x12 version. The ad says it has Svetlana 6L6 tubes. When I spoke to the guy, he said the Svetlana tubes are Russian instead of Chinese stock tubes. He said they are comparable to and a bit better than the originals.

Two questions: Is the Fender Hot Rod with Svetlana 6L6 tubes and amp to buy? If he says the amps doesn't have many hours on it, any ideas why it wouldn't still have the original tubes?

Thanks!
Maybe he wanted to change the sound, just try it out, if the tubes die on you soon down the road its not a big deal, it'll happen sometime anyway
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
The tubes probably are a touch better than stock ones. As said, he probably replaced them because he wanted a different sound. Don't let tubes that aren't stock be a deal-breaker. It's worth asking him why he replaced them, though.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The guy changed the tubes because he is the type that likes to mod things to improve them. He will be including the original 6L6 Groove tubes when I pick up the amp on Monday.
^The original groove tubes aren't worth putting back in.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^The original groove tubes aren't worth putting back in.

It's still nice to have the original parts - even if they sit in a box. Which is probably the exact reason the seller still has them!
Yeah, I'm just giving you a heads up that groove tubes are generally crap, lol

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I bought it! I picked up the amp last night. This thing is AWESOME! I can see why people were critical of the Marshall HDFX I used to have...

The Hot Rod is VERY loud. As a 'bedroom player' I may need to look into one of the volume reduction mods.
get a blackheart instead i was gonna do that but i may get a TT ionjstead so i can crank it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

yea, I have it too and i love it, but it's really loud

...just check if you can get an attenuator, or maybe an od pedal to use it at lower volumes
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by tincho729
yea, I have it too and i love it, but it's really loud

...just check if you can get an attenuator, or maybe an od pedal to use it at lower volumes

Lot's of good info about the Hot Rod and Deville here: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

BTW - Interesting how when I was looking for an amp, the Hot Rod was the thing to get. Then, when I found this one with the Svetlana tubes, everyone says the original Groove tubes suck!
I'll just mirror what tincho729 said in that yeah, i love the amp too but it is hella loud.

For a bedroom set up I would definitely suggest an attenuator. The Load Coil type are more expensive I believe but do a better job of handling the power. check tedweber.com forward slash attenuators i believe.

good luck and let us know!