I am constantly breaking G string when I'm playing. It usually happens when I'm tuning up to Open but it's only a semitone so its not like that a big stretch. I'm not a hack and can tune my guitar easily. I've done this 3 or 4 time and its just getting on my nerves. I have D'addario Phosphor Bronze strings and they are light gauge. If some one could tell my why I'm snapping strings or if any one else has this problem plese help me.
Never never never never never tune up.

Always down. I know it's a pain to tune down four strings instead of two up(or whatever combination happens to occur), but it's for a reason.

No broken strings, no warped necks.
Quote by archangels666
Never never never never never tune up.

Always down. I know it's a pain to tune down four strings instead of two up(or whatever combination happens to occur), but it's for a reason.

No broken strings, no warped necks.

Um there are some tunings that require tuning up, most people have a guitar set up with ultra light strings to do this. Open A for example does not sound right if you dowtune to get to it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 22, 2008,
Downtune + capo = uptune. Which is a reasonable solution methinks.

The other day I snapped a G String when I was tuning down, which doesn't make sense at all to me. I think I must have accidentally turned the peg the wrong way it's the only answer, but I don't know how I could be that stupid.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
it still doesn't work, youd have to put the capo waaay up the neck to make it sound right, I've never broken a string uptuning except for one time when I accidentally managed to tune my B string up 2 whole steps, but no alternate tuning requires that, except nashville tuning, but you a different set strings for that anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
does anyone know itheres any way to get less tension on that one G string? mine seems tenative tuned in just normal right now, so i wouldnt want to push it. any ideas? not sure if sanding and what not would work

taylor
hmm, idk if you have tried this (i am sure you have tho) take your guitar clear out of tune, then tune 6 how u want... maybe its called E or sumthin? anyhow, and tune your others too it?
Err... some ok answers, but not great ones.

some tunings require you to tune up. You should be able to tune up to about 3 semi tones without a problem.

do not tune down and use a capo. Capos are cheating, and in this process, your guitar will most likely get pulled sharp unless you have a G7 capo(which costs over $50, so i doubt most of you have one).

using lighter strings for different tunings is a BAD idea. use heavier strings. Thicker strings can take more tension than wimpy ones. Also, thicker strings don't get pulled out of tune as easily when you fret a bit too hard. When it comes to different tunings, this is quite important.

also, your neck will not warp from the other common tunings. You can leave your guitar in those tunings and they'll be just fine.

TS, where exactly does the string break each time? You could have something sharp on the nut or the saddle. The break angle of the saddle could also be wrong.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I am constantly retuning my strings up and down, and only once in about every 8 months will i break a string. I used to use dean markleys and they lasted forever, but I have bought some elixirs to try 'em out and they are working decently. I'm going to be getting some Cleartones next, so I suggest getting some nice strings and not tuning up to high. Also, when tuning, don't just crank the tuning key up; tune it slow and keep hitting the string, you should be able to tell when the string has too much tension on it, and then back off.