Some of you may have seen my thread comparing a deluxe reverb and a vibrolux, and since then my budget may have shrunk a bit...

I was thinking of a blues junior, which should be good i would think for some SRV, clapton, robert cray kind of blues stuff. I know it probably isn't as good as the MIA tube amps, but will it satisfy a tone junkie like me for at least the next few years?

Also, how much better is the jensen speaker in the NOS blues junior? And how would this react to a TS808 for a real SRV attack?

Thanks, hawk
About the last few questions, I don't know, sorry.

But I must say you can get a real gritty blues tone out of this monster. Good for relatively decent sized gigs, and if not, can be mic-ed.

I have trouble get a good clean sound at loud volumes though, my drummer pretty much smashes the snare drum like it called out his mum, but it seems to me you like gritty tones as your preference is SRV and other blues stuff.
with a pedal like a digitech bad monkey can a stock blues junior do rock around say--- Guns and roses level?
The one i played got good cleans for what you want. With the help of pedals, You could get guns n' roses. not sure how great it would bbe, but i imagine it would be acceptable, from what i've heard.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
It has good cleans. Probably not quite Deluxe Reverb cleans, but good. It should suffice for what you play, though. What is your budget, by the way? There may be something better out there.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Cleans are fantastic, the NOS speaker sounds really nice. I've had really bad reliability with mine, but when they're working, they sound really nice. Really good for what you're using it for.

THere's a guy on youtube who gets fantastic SRV sounds out of his. I don't really play much SRV, but it'd suit your needs well.

That said, very little clean headroom, but as you said, you'd be micing your amp.

I'd say try one out. You could probably get a used DRRI for close to the price of a new NOS Blues Jr, so you might want to keep looking for one.

Edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-65-DELUXE-REVERB-REISSUE-TUBE-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ260266529215QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This isn't too bad of a price. I'll bet you could go lower too if you wait and scope one out.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by hawk5211
I am also curious about what the cleans are like on a blues junior. I know that when pushed it distorts nicely, but how are the pure low volume cleans in comparison to a deluxe reverb or a virolux

The blues Jr is based on a tweed amp but the output stage is set up to give even less bass. That is good for distortion but not so good for cleans.

The Deluxe reverb is based on a blackface amp which has very little in common with the tweed amps. The treble on both amps is about the same. The midrange on the deluxe is turned down to 4 and fixed so you can ajust it. Also, the midrange on the deluxe covers the same frequencies as the mids AND bass combined on the tweed amps. The bass knob on the deluxe changes frequncies that most tweed amps can't even produce.

Both amps sound good clean but they sound compleatly different. The blues Jr will be focused and bright. The Deluxe reverb will be open and have a certain emptyness to it.

Give these 2 soundclips and listen and you will be able to hear how much more low end the blackface amps had and how much more midrange the tweed amps had.

Blackface
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/sounds/amptest/bfcompressed.mp3

tweed
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/sounds/amptest/tclean.mp3

SRV used blackface and tweed amps. Often he used them at the same time because the combination of amps gave a thick midrange and gave him the bass he wanted too. Basically what this means is that you could get by with either amp but neither will do everything that SRV did.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The blues Jr is based on a tweed amp but the output stage is set up to give even less bass. That is good for distortion but not so good for cleans.

The Deluxe reverb is based on a blackface amp which has very little in common with the tweed amps. The treble on both amps is about the same. The midrange on the deluxe is turned down to 4 and fixed so you can ajust it. Also, the midrange on the deluxe covers the same frequencies as the mids AND bass combined on the tweed amps. The bass knob on the deluxe changes frequncies that most tweed amps can't even produce.

Both amps sound good clean but they sound compleatly different. The blues Jr will be focused and bright. The Deluxe reverb will be open and have a certain emptyness to it.

Give these 2 soundclips and listen and you will be able to hear how much more low end the blackface amps had and how much more midrange the tweed amps had.

Blackface
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/sounds/amptest/bfcompressed.mp3

tweed
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/sounds/amptest/tclean.mp3

SRV used blackface and tweed amps. Often he used them at the same time because the combination of amps gave a thick midrange and gave him the bass he wanted too. Basically what this means is that you could get by with either amp but neither will do everything that SRV did.

Wow, ther is alot of difference there between the two. I almost think that i pefer the tweed better.

as for budget, someone was asking. I have none really. I will get whatever is right for me. I would like to keep it under 1250CAN$. I realize that the BJ is way less than that, but if that amp will do me then I will be able to invest some money in some pedals and such.

edit: wait a sec, so is the vibrolux considered blackface then, as opposed to tweed? I found it almost had a little bit more to the low end than the deluxe reverb had.
Last edited by hawk5211 at Jul 24, 2008,
try out a Vox Ac15 way better than the blues junior cheaper than the deluxe reverb but sounds awesome, i like the reverb on the AC15 better tough.
definately check one out, also look into traynors.
I personaly like the twin reverb cause of the headroom, they should really put a switch one it to change it from 100 to 25 or something lower but if they did that there wouldnt be much use for a deluxe reverb.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 24, 2008,
I'd just buy the Deluxe Reverb if you're willing to save up.

That thing sounds amazing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by hawk5211
Wow, ther is alot of difference there between the two. I almost think that i pefer the tweed better.

as for budget, someone was asking. I have none really. I will get whatever is right for me. I would like to keep it under 1250CAN$. I realize that the BJ is way less than that, but if that amp will do me then I will be able to invest some money in some pedals and such.

edit: wait a sec, so is the vibrolux considered blackface then, as opposed to tweed? I found it almost had a little bit more to the low end than the deluxe reverb had.

Keep in mind that the blackface clip was taken with the bass and treble at 10. If I had turned them down to 6 and turned up the volume a bit it would have brought up the midrange and leveled things out a bit.

I'm not sure what schematic fender is using for the vibrolux they are making now days. The most famouse vibrolux amps were blackface so I assumed thats what they used. The blackface Vibrolux used a .047 uF cap for the midrange where the Deluxe used a .033 uF cap. This means the vibrolux will have a slightly wider midrange and slightly deeper bass if the new vibrolux is based on the blackface version.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by hawk5211
I know it probably isn't as good as the MIA tube amps...

made in america isnt the be all and end all of quality standards. try the amps out. you might be surprised.
Thank you please.