I can't believe I haven't found one thread on Jaco Pastorius, the best and most innovative bass player ever to pick up the instrument. I'm listening to s/t right now and it's absolutenly blowing my mind (yet again). Discuss.
**** that's right! there hasn't been a thread on Jaco! haha this real crazy, my friend was telling me this story yesterday about another friend of his who had a dream where Jaco gave him bass lessons! far out yeah? and this guy in his dream asked Jaco, why he ****ed up his life with all the drugs and ****, and Jaco apparently told him, "I did everything, but never smoked a cigarette".

yep.

so yea, Jaco is probably on of my favorite electric bass players - there's something so organic and yet virtuostic about his playing. I recently got a live album from 1985, Jaco playing live with his electric band at the Lonestar Cafe in NYC. And this was when Jaco was apparently in decline with his mental and physical health, but man that **** is still tight as ****!

It's only fitting that much of Jaco's playing is reflected in the playing of Chris Wood (from MMW), or atleast IMO.
He's one of my favorites, he had such awesome tone, and he could play fingerstyle faster then I've ever heard anyone before. But my favorite bassist (funny the above poster would mention him) is Chris Wood.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
umm by the looks of the last two post i personally think we should make a chirs wood thread...he is a great bassist his playing never gets old, not to mention i love MMW lol
Quote by Axegrinder#9
listen to Jaco's bass melodies on "The Chicken" and then listen to melodies Chris Wood churns out in "New Planet" (off the End of the World Tea Party album). It'll make sense

lol New Planet is my GFs favorite song by them she was stoked they opened with it a rochester lol

but on topic yea jaco is a beast like bassist. his creative never ceases to wow me. his bass lines are so smooth and quick and his chours like tone is just awsome
Quote by Axegrinder#9
listen to Jaco's bass melodies on "The Chicken" and then listen to melodies Chris Wood churns out in "New Planet" (off the End of the World Tea Party album). It'll make sense

He's got some of the grooviest basslines I've ever heard, as evident on Chank.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I love Jaco but I think live he has an over tendency to overplay quite a bit and he does his crazy fast runs in seemingly odd places, and uses them as throwaway endings quite a bit, atm I'm specifically thinking of a few versions of Amerika.

I still can't believe what he plays sometimes even though I've listened to his stuff so often. Also his big band stuff is TIGHT. A great line up he's got there.

Finally one last point I wish to add is that it seems to me like a lot of people overlook his composition skills for his virtuosity, but for me the latter is more impressive because it was always more consistent, and of the same high standard as his playing.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
I love Jaco but I think live he has an over tendency to overplay quite a bit and he does his crazy fast runs in seemingly odd places, and uses them as throwaway endings quite a bit, atm I'm specifically thinking of a few versions of Amerika.

I still can't believe what he plays sometimes even though I've listened to his stuff so often. Also his big band stuff is TIGHT. A great line up he's got there.

Finally one last point I wish to add is that it seems to me like a lot of people overlook his composition skills for his virtuosity, but for me the latter is more impressive because it was always more consistent, and of the same high standard as his playing.

I know exactly what you mean about the fast runs. That run in the middle of Amerika doesn't really fit, but the one at the very end does. And I also agree about the composition skills exceeding the virtuosity, Continuum is such an amazing song, and it's not that technically challenging (compared to most of his stuff.) And that intro lick in Opus Pocus is also great.
Last.fm

i only have one album with him on it and thats "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report.

i do want to pick up more of his work, he's definately up there on my fav bass player list.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Jaco is amazing, real insperation to millions. Its such as shame that he had to die the way he did (beaten up by some security guard for being drunk)

oh well its a way to go i suppose (however Entwhistle tops the list dying from a heart attack while drugged up and havin sex with a prostitute!!!)

My favorite track of his has to be 'Havona' by Weather Report - its mindblowing
Quote by vickers89
however Entwhistle tops the list dying from a heart attack while drugged up and havin sex with a prostitute!!!

Srsly? He died while screwing someone?

Anyways, Jaco is pretty much the only jazz musician I enjoy listening to. My bassist friend forced me to listen to him and then I'm like, "Hey this is pretty cool!" Best bassist ever.
Quote by _bacon_
Srsly? He died while screwing someone?

Anyways, Jaco is pretty much the only jazz musician I enjoy listening to. My bassist friend forced me to listen to him and then I'm like, "Hey this is pretty cool!" Best bassist ever.

well if jaco is the only jazz you enjoy listening too i think you should check a little higher up on the page. and see that a few of us were talking about medeski martin and wood and their bassist chirs wood he is dirty as all hell a pretty good modern day jaco if i must say so myself. seriously you should check them out.
Last edited by fudger at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
i only have one album with him on it and thats "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report.

i do want to pick up more of his work, he's definately up there on my fav bass player list.

The only albums that I own with Jaco Pastorius as the known bassist are the five albums he did with Weather Report, of which Heavy Weather is my favorite album (A Remark You Made being my favorite song from that album).

However, I do believe he can found somewhere else in my jazz collection, considering he had quite a few collaboration albums with artists such as Pat Metheny (and I own quite a few of his albums).
buy Jaco's self-titled. You won't be disappointed. Herbie Hancock plays piano on quite a few of the songs.
Quote by ohhey9040
^How did I not know that?

Lol, yeah I feel bad for not knowing that as well. That makes the album that much better though.
Last.fm

Quote by Axegrinder#9
**** that's right! there hasn't been a thread on Jaco! haha this real crazy, my friend was telling me this story yesterday about another friend of his who had a dream where Jaco gave him bass lessons! far out yeah? and this guy in his dream asked Jaco, why he ****ed up his life with all the drugs and ****, and Jaco apparently told him, "I did everything, but never smoked a cigarette".

yep.

so yea, Jaco is probably on of my favorite electric bass players - there's something so organic and yet virtuostic about his playing. I recently got a live album from 1985, Jaco playing live with his electric band at the Lonestar Cafe in NYC. And this was when Jaco was apparently in decline with his mental and physical health, but man that **** is still tight as ****!

It's only fitting that much of Jaco's playing is reflected in the playing of Chris Wood (from MMW), or atleast IMO.

Say...do you think your friend could transcribe that lesson for us?

( )
Quote by jim morrison714
buy Jaco's self-titled. You won't be disappointed. Herbie Hancock plays piano on quite a few of the songs.

I may have listened to that album before, actually. A friend of mine owns one of Jaco's solo albums, which I listened to, but I'm not sure which one it is.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I may have listened to that album before, actually. A friend of mine owns one of Jaco's solo albums, which I listened to, but I'm not sure which one it is.

Remember any of the tunes that were on it?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Listening to Trio of Doom at the moment with Jaco, John Mclaughlin, and Tony Williams and it's awesome. Too bad the show was only 25 minutes and they never played another live show, although they have studio versions of a couple of the songs, which are ok.