I am wanting to change the 2 humbucker pickups in my Ibanez Prestige S5470. They sound decent, but think a change could make a huge difference. Any suggestions? I was thinking about Dizmarzio, but I have no experience with their pickups. I play fusion, prog, metal, alt. rock. That's what this guitar is used for. I would love to get a good Guthrie Govan fusion sound out of it. Smooth sounding leads. I have a Mesa Boogie Mark IV that i use with no od to boost, although I might buy a BB booster to use with it because I've heard they sound fantastic with Mesa's. Any help is greatly appriceated and if you need me to answer anymore questions about the style of music I like or play just tell me. Thanks.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
I'll tell you this: I reckon you'll struggle to get a Govan type tone out of a Mesa, he uses Cornford amps which are very much British voiced, can you give any other examples of the kind of tone you're going for?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'll tell you this: I reckon you'll struggle to get a Govan type tone out of a Mesa, he uses Cornford amps which are very much British voiced, can you give any other examples of the kind of tone you're going for?

Petrucci of course, but I've got his tone dialed in good. I got a pretty good one now with it. You just got to know how to have the controls on the regular eq to the graphic eq. If you don't, it will be real muddy and flabby, but I have a good smooth tone with it, and I think a pickup change would be a pretty big difference with this guitar inpaticular (sp? ), but anyways Petrucci. I've got a strat set up for EJ type stuff. Really, my own tone in general. I use this guitar right now most for any original stuff, and I got my lead tone as smooth as I can with the amp settings, so I think the pickups that would give me the smoothest leads would be great.

EDIT: I didn't really specify what style of music my original stuff is. Fusion with prog breakdowns. I also write some more alt. rock type stuff too, but mostly fusion/prog style stuff, hence where i get the Govan/Petrucci tones from.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Last edited by mlkIII at Jul 22, 2008,
Can anyone help me?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Have you used the Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio pickup calculators?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Dimarzio Drop Sonic/ Air Norton
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by aznrockerdude
Have you used the Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio pickup calculators?

No, is it on their site? I'll go check.

Fusion is like jazz, but with distortion, and very shreddy jazz leads. Very cool music if you ask me. Look up Guthrie Govan on youtube or Greg Howe to get a good example.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I think I am going to go with the Evolution pickups. I have listened to them and they sound great on clean and with distortion. I think they are great pickups, and I'll post when I get them in the guitar, so I can give my 2 cents on them. Thanks for the help guys.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
sorry to bring up an old thread but im in a very similar situation to the ts. im likely going to get an 5470 in a few months. i want this guitar to be my main guitar for everything for many years to come so i am looking at replacing the whole set of pickups.

im looking for a lead tone similar to guthrie govan. Im also looking for a classic warm, crunchy rhythm tone and jangly cleans.

i am looking at either a breed, true velvet, paf joe combination or a super distortion, true velvet, paf joe combination. i think an evo in the bridge would be nice for leads but just to bright for distorted rhythm (which i do on the bridge).
would the norton be too weak. it has roughly the same output specs as a breed but it is classed as a medium output humbucker.