A little background, I'm 26, I was in my first rock band at 14 and have been in alot since, playing everything from polka, to country, to alternative, to rock, to metal. This is a new venture for me and it is a bit exciting!

So I just formed a very small band. As a matter of fact it only has 2 members. I play guitar and sing and the other member works on a computer doing synth, bass and beats, and sings. So far it's working out rather well in the writing stages, this is new so no gigs yet. But I have always been a purist (I.E. Real instruments = real music, I'm a bit of a classical and classic rock nut). But the things we have been creating are very good and very different than the norm! (I'll post some things as they are done) Basically, my question is this: Do any of you find it ok to leave the "box" and enter another "box" as you feel it is easier to break out of the new box? or is it all the same box?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What is a "box?"

Figuratively: It means that you are stuck inside a set of rules that you must abide by. Getting outside the box means you are breaking the rules, but in that good way!
^+1

dude i do a mix of metal/industrial/techno and random other types of music all thrown together. don't limit yourself. if you write a crushing guitar riff and put a xylophone over it and it sounds good then use it.

edit: at what point were there rules?
Quote by z4twenny
^+1

edit: at what point were there rules?

You.. YOU!! That is what I needed to hear! You are good! You are GOOD!
Thank you my friend!
Quote by ValoRhoads
You.. YOU!! That is what I needed to hear! You are good! You are GOOD!
Thank you my friend!

glad to help
You make the rules. You make the music. Music is in you, do what you want.
my musical objective is to completely annihilate the box, being in the box is for hacks.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Exisistential Rock will be the genre of the future.

Keep at it.