so.. i have the opportunity to get a 75 watt spider 2 head for 150$ and its in the shop right now getting something fixed on the gain for the guy im buying it from

i think its 2x 4ohm out put and my cab has mono 8 ohm and stereo 16x2
.. thatll work right?, like ill get like 1/4 the power out of it i think.. or 1/2?

either way, 150$ not a bad deal
but do you think the whole gain repair thing is a bad thing?

also no flaming just for getting a spider, i like thier tone on the spider3 so ill try this out
im just sick of using my combo as a head, as for it also sounds blah without my me-50

thanks guys
Ok listen, I'm not going to give you some bandwagon-esqe rant on the Spider Series by Line 6. As a whole, they're interesting amps. They provide an array of tones that can be quite cool because of the settings per channel. I know that if I had **** loads of money, than I would go out and by the 120 watt version just because it would be so much fun to mess around with.

Their are two problems with it though.

1) They are not necessarily bad sounding amps, just not very tonal specific. So, while people on this forum tend to think that they sound like ****, they don't. They just have par-sounding settings and tones, and don't stack up to a tube.
2) They aren't gig worthy. Unless you wanna fork out another hundred or so bucks, you can buy a footswitch that switches between the channels one by one. And the whole fact of the matter is, the tones you want may be on different sides of the amp, so it requires several problems in gigging.

However, 150 buckaroonies is a good deal. If I had the money, I might take it. However, there are other things that have more priority. Such as a metal muff, and some new p-ups.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Ok listen, I'm not going to give you some bandwagon-esqe rant on the Spider Series by Line 6. As a whole, they're interesting amps. They provide an array of tones that can be quite cool because of the settings per channel. I know that if I had **** loads of money, than I would go out and by the 120 watt version just because it would be so much fun to mess around with.

Their are two problems with it though.

1) They are not necessarily bad sounding amps, just not very tonal specific. So, while people on this forum tend to think that they sound like ****, they don't. They just have par-sounding settings and tones, and don't stack up to a tube.
2) They aren't gig worthy. Unless you wanna fork out another hundred or so bucks, you can buy a footswitch that switches between the channels one by one. And the whole fact of the matter is, the tones you want may be on different sides of the amp, so it requires several problems in gigging.

However, 150 buckaroonies is a good deal. If I had the money, I might take it. However, there are other things that have more priority. Such as a metal muff, and some new p-ups.
]

no this would be just for practise because i dont want to wear out my 120watt combo
but ya, i read they over heat quick if you dont match the ohms, but im not looking into a new cab right now
so .. 16 stereo and 4 output .. it should work correct?
but thanks for getting right to it and not doing the whole.. your a dumbass save your money thing
, and no i dont want a tube yet, im still learning, when the time comes ill buy one
Spider amps tend to have alot of electric gremlins. So how long it will stay fixed for is debatable. And good amps dont wear out, they arent like a set of tires. MGs and spiders do tend to wear out and like tires are simply thrown away for another set.
Quote by Tackleberry
Spider amps tend to have alot of electric gremlins.

I've heard this a lot on the forums, but as a former Spider owner, that wasn't my experience. My Spider 3's tone was rather sterile, but it was dependable. For practice I don't see it being a bad deal. You may want to look around though for some of the other SS practice amps in that price range just to be sure you'll be happy with your purchase.
Quote by black-serenade-
dont compare spiders to mg's!
thats terrible :P

He wasn't comparing them, what he was saying was that It could break very easily because of the bad build quality of the two amp ranges. Also I personally do not like the sound that spiders put out because I recently played one and could not find a decent sound on it. I am commenting on the tone simply because you may eventually become annoyed with it. Overall it is your choice and 150 dollars isn't much money.
Quote by black-serenade-
dont compare spiders to mg's!
thats terrible :P

Why not? The MG is a better amp imo.

Better cleans on the Spider though. Spiders make my ears hurt on the gain channel, at least I can stand an MG, mostly because it's just mud and you don't have to stand listening to the ice-picky notes on the Spiders.

I personally think buying a Spider, even for that cheap is a waste of money, especially if it's had problems and is being fixed. If all you're using it is for practicing, why do you need something that loud? Buy a Epi Valve Junior and use a Distortion pedal, same price and 20x better sounding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com