I need some help on these two:

First, I am just starting to prep a body to be refinished, but I didn't know how to get out the sunken nuts that the stoptail and TOM bet bolted into. Are they glued in or just press fit? If they are glued, could I just heat them up to melt the glue and then yank 'em? If they're press fit, what's the best way to pry them out? It's a Washburn if that makes any difference. Also, since I'm refinishing the body, saving the finish from "extreme" methods is not an issue

Secondly, I plan on refretting the neck with bigger frets, and while I'm at it I was wondering whether or not I could just stick another fret on the end of the board. It looks like there is enough space, and I don't really know why I couldn't, but I was just making sure.

Here are some pics of both:

i'm not sure i understand how you could both make bigger frets AND add another fret to that fretboard.

as far as nuts go, i think it may be specific to the guitar, but i've heard they're usually glued? i'm not anywhere near positive though.
when you remove the fret, check stewmacs scale. get a digital caliper and see if it will line up properly with enough space.

the nuts are press fitted, you wont get them out without ruining unless you have the rather expensive and gay stewmac tool, in which case you compromise the ability to put them back in.
yes lp is correct that the nut (I believe the proper term is bushing) is press fitted, but is wrong when he says that it is impossible to remove it without a special stewmac tool. if your bushing has a hole in the bottom of it you can remove it by sticking a metal rod in the bushing through the hole and by screwing the insert into the bushing. This obviously will raise the bushing up out of its place. Ive only done this once so far from a pro bushing remover, but it seemed to work like a charm.
Quote by carousel182
yes lp is correct that the nut (I believe the proper term is bushing) is press fitted, but is wrong when he says that it is impossible to remove it without a special stewmac tool. if your bushing has a hole in the bottom of it you can remove it by sticking a metal rod in the bushing through the hole and by screwing the insert into the bushing. This obviously will raise the bushing up out of its place. Ive only done this once so far from a pro bushing remover, but it seemed to work like a charm.

Do you mean like this: the black rod is the rod I put in there, and as I screw in the bolt, the bushing will be forced out of the wood since it will be displaced by the black rod, right?

Quote by lumberjack
Do you mean like this: the black rod is the rod I put in there, and as I screw in the bolt, the bushing will be forced out of the wood since it will be displaced by the black rod, right?

Or, as wood is softer and easier to move than metal, or a tight metal fitting, you'll just push the rod into the wood.

Screw the mount in, then use a claw hammer.
You could add another fret but takes some special tools to add the fret slot. Not something your going to be able to do with a hacksaw. The sleeves maybe try one of the auto motive style pullers they rent at local auto parts places.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Or, as wood is softer and easier to move than metal, or a tight metal fitting, you'll just push the rod into the wood.

Screw the mount in, then use a claw hammer.

And MintSauce supplies the /thread suggestion! They came out as if they were held in there with scotch tape........