Hey guys,

I'm lookin' for a Gibson guitar without the Gibson price, and I'm jonesin' for a hollow body. A 335 to be exact. But they are like $1,700 and up! I see Epiphone has a nice DOT for about $3 or $4 hundred. If I could find a cheap broken Gibson neck, how hard/expensive would it be to switch out the headstocks?
get a dot and redo the head stock?

putting on a new neck would be the biggest pain in the ass. Replacing a set neck is like building a car by hand, all the parts.
Quote by Ghold125
get a dot and redo the head stock?

putting on a new neck would be the biggest pain in the ass. Replacing a set neck is like building a car by hand, all the parts.

Not the whole neck, just the headstock. I'm new at this, but couldn't I steam off the fret board, make an angle cut about 5-6" down the neck near the top, do the same on the broken neck, glue them, sand them flush, and then paint them? I mean, I saw this guy do a neck repair where the neck cracked in half near the head stock and he did just that. Seeing as how both necks would be built by almost the same company, I don't think they'd be so different that you couldn't sand them flush without harming the guitar, would they? Painting is my biggest worry. Would I have to repaint the whole neck? Or even the whole guitar?
Why don't you just get the Dot and leave it like that?

Are you really so obsessed with the word Gibson that you would potentially damage a fine guitar and buy another neck just to have it?

Buy the Dot and enjoy the nice semi-hollow.
Quote by rymep
Why don't you just get the Dot and leave it like that?

Are you really so obsessed with the word Gibson that you would potentially damage a fine guitar and buy another neck just to have it?

Buy the Dot and enjoy the nice semi-hollow.

Dude, no need to get offensive. I just wanted a cheap project. This is not the only thing I am planning to do to this guitar. I would swap out the pick-ups and put a Bigsby on it. I have nothing against second rate guitars like Epiphone or Squire. As a matter of fact, I own one of each, and the Squire is one of my main guitars on stage. I am going more for looks over functionality for once. I just wanted to know if it could be done and how expensive it would be.
Aren't the headstock shapes identical? If so, just get a Gibson decal.

Otherwise, you'd need to scarf the new headstock on. If the Epi headstock is scarfed, you'd be best off cutting in the same place, then scarfing there, otherwise you'll need to use a 13º scarf, which would put your cut around 20mm from the nut.
cmon epiphone were the best holows before gibson bought them
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by -MintSauce-
Aren't the headstock shapes identical? If so, just get a Gibson decal.

Otherwise, you'd need to scarf the new headstock on. If the Epi headstock is scarfed, you'd be best off cutting in the same place, then scarfing there, otherwise you'll need to use a 13º scarf, which would put your cut around 20mm from the nut.

No, Epiphone's headstock is a different shape. I've looked in to the whole veneer thing, and It won't work. I have to say, your post is by far the most helpful. I am a little lost as to what scarfing is, though. I'm totally new at this, so if you could elaborate, that would help me out.

And for all you people telling me to just leave it, or telling me that its a lot of work just to make it say Gibson, I'll tell ya what: If I felt that way in the first place, I probably wouldn't have posted this. I know what I want and can judge for myself what I would like my guitar to look like. So if you are just going to tell me "Leave it. You just want it to say Gibson," PLEASE DON'T POST! So what if I want it to say Gibson? Its MY guitar and MY project last time I checked.

Oh, and to the guy about playing a Squire on stage: Yeah, I do. Its good for the slide work I do and since it is chambered, It gets a nice, deep, full tone that my SG can't get.
ive seen some work on redoing a broken headstock it can get pretty intense especially if you dont know what you are doing. But i'm no expert or anything of course. but unless you really knowledgeable with wood working I would suggest reading up on how to do it, maybe get a really cheap POS guitar with that problem and practice and then maybe fix up a gibson...

i can definately understand wanting a gibson at a cheap price. But beggars can't be choosers. You can check ebay its your best bet. But there is already a lot of people trying to do the same thing, so it might be hard to get one...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial