Page 1 of 2
Ok, I searched it and didnt find anything on this... surprising.

But anyways Ive been seeing quite a few threads for getting revenge on people.

I could write a whole book on this but basically I believe revenge is immoral and vain. Ill make more comments as this is further discussed.

Keep these questions in mind.

Will it really get you want you want? What is the point? Why do you want to make a fellow human being as miserable as you?

Discuss please....
if someone was to hit me, i would hit them back.. yea it would make me feel way better knowing their as miserable as me, if their the cause of my misery.
I don't usually try to get revenge, I guess I'm just easy going or something.... Revenge doesn't really solve anything, so there's no point. Peace & Love FTW!
Quote by paranoideyes
if someone was to hit me, i would hit them back.. yea it would make me feel way better knowing their as miserable as me, if their the cause of my misery.

I wouldn't see that as revenge, more of instant retaliation.

I see revenge as planning something to hurt someone or bring someone down and I would never do it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt

I see revenge as planning something to hurt someone or bring someone down and I would never do it.

Yeah.... I think I didnt really put up my definition of revenge and I cant really because its kinda hard to explain but even though hitting someone back doesnt quite fit the definition of revenge; I still view it as revenge. I see revenge as violent or harmful retaliation meant to physically or emotionally hurt the person targeted.
Quote by blackflag49
revenge is a dish best served cold.

What if one prefers cold food. Some foods are better cold, example: Pizza.
Quote by stratkat
Karma doesn't quite give the same feeling of satisfaction.

it sure does... when you simply take a deep breath god will thank you for the anti violence move you did so the guy will hurt his small toe on the counter top and won't be able to snowboard for 1 month
Quote by original=punk
What if one prefers cold food. Some foods are better cold, example: Pizza.
gross...

i'll stick to revenge, thank you.
Quote by blackflag49
gross...

i'll stick to revenge, thank you.

We can never get along, can we?
We should star in a sitcom.
Quote by paranoideyes

Thats not very hippie of you... why do you have that below your name then?
Quote by tr3nt

for a better example, if someone robbed my house and stole all my most treasured items, and i found out who did it, i would surely go **** them up. i agree revenge isn't morally right, and there is always the " high road " but theres something about revenge that gives you satisfaction like nothing else.
Quote by original=punk
We can never get along, can we?
We should star in a sitcom.
we'd be like the odd couple lololol..
Quote by paranoideyes
for a better example, if someone robbed my house and stole all my most treasured items, and i found out who did it, i would surely go **** them up. i agree revenge isn't morally right, and there is always the " high road " but theres something about revenge that gives you satisfaction like nothing else.

I know a lot of people dont see it but if you think about it thats kinda sick.... getting enjoyment out of a fellow being's pain. Like . Its no different than seeing someone writhing in pain as you press hot coals to them or something and laughing and enjoying it.

Im not trying to critisize anyone, as the satisfaction of revenge is felt by most people (even though not as much anymore, I sometimes resort to revenge without knowing it but Im working on stopping myself more and more).
I don't know I really don't believe in morality as the only reason we have morality is because of a social change. Take away society we would have no morals. I totally believe in revenge it would make me feel alot better.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind" - I believe that was Ghandi, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Think about the above quote.
I don't believe in revenge at all, in every sense of the word. I think it's petty, and only leads to more negative emotions and actions than ever needed.

This also means I don't believe in the death penalty, since it's basically just revenge dressed in a suit.

I'm just a pacifist anyway, though, so any I really dislike any kind of violence and hate.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I dunno...I think revenge can be used as a deterrent so that something doesn't happen again...in that case wouldn't there be less pain (emotional and physical) in the long run? And then would it not be justified?
Quote by aaronob
Will it really get you want you want? What is the point? Why do you want to make a fellow human being as miserable as you?

1) Yes, it will get me what I want. I want the other person to be miserable.
2) The point is to make myself feel better by hurting the other person.
3) I want to make the other person miserable as me because he did the same to me.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by SathiaSun
1) Yes, it will get me what I want. I want the other person to be miserable.
2) The point is to make myself feel better by hurting the other person.
3) I want to make the other person miserable as me because he did the same to me.

But hurting a fellow human being shouldnt make you feel better... it just spreads more pain around the world.

Quote by MontyM
I dunno...I think revenge can be used as a deterrent so that something doesn't happen again...in that case wouldn't there be less pain (emotional and physical) in the long run? And then would it not be justified?

Good point you have there. I think you may be getting revenge confused with justice or punishment. However, sometimes they go hand-in-hand with revenge.

Im not sure. Im a strong believer in second (and third, fourth, fifth, etc.) chances and I accept that people make mistakes. It would have to be an emotionless punishment I guess. I think thats the difference between revenge and justice. Revenge is usually emotion-driven aimed at destroying someone else's emotions. Justice is more of a... I guess you would call it learning or teaching experience? There should be no emotion involved, just enough to annoy or inconvinience the other person so they dont do it again.

There is a fine line though.

Any one else have an opinion on this?
war begets war.

same situation with revenge and thats what i wholeheartedly believe in.
I got my own life to live,
I'm the one that's going to die
when its time for me to die.
So let me live my life
the way i want to.
-Jimi Hendrix, If 6 was 9
One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however much we have suffered from him.
- Socrates
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
never go to sleep angry, its not good for you ...

... stay up and plot revenge!!!
To all the villianous insects who preach their slanderous, dupliciticious loathing; to each beautiful walking laceration who made me weep and bleed ... I hope you choke

ROCK ON DUDES
Revenge isn't a way to solve anything IMO, violence breeds violences and same goes for hate.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Perhaps you should just swear a blood oath and then on your deathbed, tell your children to deal with your beef.
I'm not especially bothered about revenge because I'll screw over pretty much anybody anyway.
I really hate someone, and I've been planning on revenge. It might not make me feel better, but it won't make me feel bad either, so revenge = win.

I don't give a **** if the person I mentioned dies.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Revenge is pointless and usually, in all forms, practised because of some sort of anger. It's generally an irrational, often and unfair and almost always unnecessary way to treat anyway.

It's the basis behind things like the American death penalty and so on. The fact that such a facile and important decision is made for such stupid reasons is terrible.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Life isn't fair. All those people talking about karma, being a good person doesn't earn you a big paycheck.
If someone wrongs you, I say go ahead and ruin them if you feel it necessary.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Depends on what you'd consider revenge. Would it be revenge if in the heat of the moment, someone punched you in the fact, and you punched them back? Would it be if you had some way of knowing that after that first punch they would not hit you again? Would it be once you both part ways? Would it be once the situation is over, and you both go home?

Depends on your perspective of revenge IMO.
Quote by tayroar
I don't know I really don't believe in morality as the only reason we have morality is because of a social change. Take away society we would have no morals.

I agree, absolute moral values are a product of society, and no action is inherently right or wrong, at least in my view. However, I think that revenge in many cases is pointless: just because I don't believe it is wrong to kill a man who has stolen from me, it doesn't mean I want to kill him, or that I will.
Basically:
Quote by Meh!
Revenge is pointless and usually, in all forms, practised because of some sort of anger. It's generally an irrational, often and unfair and almost always unnecessary way to treat anyway.

It's the basis behind things like the American death penalty and so on. The fact that such a facile and important decision is made for such stupid reasons is terrible.

+1
Page 1 of 2