Hey guys, I'm looking for a new guitar and I've narrowed it down to these two, the Ibanez RG series and the Epiphone G-400. Maybe even an Agile, though I'm not too familiar with the Agiles. I mainly play rock-metal, and sometimes softer genres as well. I'm wonder which guitar is more versatile and has the best playing ability, sound, quality, value etc. I'm also open to other recommendations as well.

Also, I'm aware that the playability of Ibanez is also a lot faster and *easier*? Than most of the Les Paul/SGs, but how much faster?

If I were to get the RG, which model from the RG should I get? My budget is around 300-400. I can get the G-400 for around 325 new.

Ultimately, I'm looking for opinions and recommendations from players who own a guitar Ibanez RG series or Epiphone G-400.
Last edited by CasperN at Jul 22, 2008,
You can't just tell us it's an RG,you need to tell us what RG is it.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
there are soo many different RG's and some are complete ****. there is only a few variations for the G400 and there all fairly nice.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
For the RG depends if you want a trem or fixed. For 3 to 400 dollars I'd stay the hell away from any RGs with trems. The edge3 is junk. I'd go for the 321mh or the RG2ex1. Ive got the 321 and love it. The neck is super thin and very fast for playing. I actually prefer it over the neck on the Dinky Pro I just bought. The pups aren't the greatest but their better than most in that price range. Also its nice and light.
Fender MIM Fat Strat
Jackson Dk2m Dinky Pro
Jackson DKMGT
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
Oh yeah another point. The 321 is only like $289. So you can take some of the extra money and at least replace one of the pups for something better.
Fender MIM Fat Strat
Jackson Dk2m Dinky Pro
Jackson DKMGT
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
Quote by Broken-pick
You can't just tell us it's an RG,you need to tell us what RG is it.

I wasn't sure which RG would be the best for 300-400. I'm leaning towards the RGs with the tremolos, which one would be less lightly to go out of tune with frequent use of the whammy?
Quote by CasperN
I wasn't sure which RG would be the best for 300-400. I'm leaning towards the RGs with the tremolos, which one would be less lightly to go out of tune with frequent use of the whammy?

None,unless you go for the Prestige ones or 5xx series.Get an S series if your budget is low.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103382164-i1168030.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc

I like the second one because of the pick ups , tremelo, and the reverse head stock.

I have a Epiphone G-400 Custom. Its great for what i paid for it ( and it has 3 pick ups) but the neck is a little fat and it takes a while to get use to standing up and playing with the top heavy neck.
Cheap RG hardtail is something u cant go wrong with...

Stay far away from a trem unless u know one pretty well, exspecially the Edge IIIs
Guitars:
Jackson JS300 Kelly
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez Nylon acoustic

Amps:
Crate 15 watt(Broke)
Dean 10 watt amp
Peavey Valveking 112
Peavey XXX(Lookin for a cab...)

Pedals:
G2 Zoom Multi-FX(Tuner)
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm gonna throw a different guitar into the mix:
One of these babies:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262&Ntk=All&Ntt=michael+kelly&Nty=1

Most of those are out of my price range.

Are the RG350DX any good?

Are the RG5xx's discontinued? I can't seem to find them on the Ibanez site.

What is wrong with the Edge III's?
Last edited by CasperN at Jul 23, 2008,
Edge III suck.
Srry

I dont know about production of those RGs srry...

U could get the 350 and maybe swap out the Edge with an OFR
I dont know if this is accurate though.
Guitars:
Jackson JS300 Kelly
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez Nylon acoustic

Amps:
Crate 15 watt(Broke)
Dean 10 watt amp
Peavey Valveking 112
Peavey XXX(Lookin for a cab...)

Pedals:
G2 Zoom Multi-FX(Tuner)
Quote by CasperN
Most of those are out of my price range.

Are the RG350DX any good?

Are the RG5xx's discontinued? I can't seem to find them on the Ibanez site.

What is wrong with the Edge III's?

Edge III have bad quality metal and it dosent stay in tune at all.
Damn, I guess my choice would have to be a Epiphone G-400. Does life go on without a tremolo?

I'm still open to everyone's suggestions/help, so keep them coming.

Thanks.
if you want a better guitar look used. you might me able to get a schecter with a FR off of ebay or craigslist. But Tremelo arent the greatest they are a pain to change tunnings with, thats why i prefer no trem.
Try it, I dare you!
I think I'm going to go with either the Ibanez RG3EXQM1 or the Epiphone G-400. I've read horror stories about people trying to tune the Edge III trem and I just don't think anyone should spend more time on tuning the guitar than playing it. The Dinky seems really good, but its a little over my budget

How would the ESP Viper-100/200FM compare with the G-400s?
Quote by CasperN
I think I'm going to go with either the Ibanez RG3EXQM1 or the Epiphone G-400. I've read horror stories about people trying to tune the Edge III trem and I just don't think anyone should spend more time on tuning the guitar than playing it. The Dinky seems really good, but its a little over my budget

How would the ESP Viper-100/200FM compare with the G-400s?

With ESP anything under the 400 Series is usually trash.
I still say save $50 more for the Jackson Dinky, you will like it alot more than they ibanez and SG.
You cant go wrong with an rg321mh.. its a solid guitar. Plus you can save the cash for amp fund or a pickup.

Alternatively to the RG you should check the SA120. Same price range. Diff shape and tremolo. Similar guitar in sound.
Ibanez RG321MH - Royal Blue = sexness
Quote by JessicaGonzo
With ESP anything under the 400 Series is usually trash.
I still say save $50 more for the Jackson Dinky, you will like it alot more than they ibanez and SG.

I'm with this guy. Or girl, I suppose.
I think the S series would also be a good buy. Which models are good within my price range? I want something that can be very versatile. The guitars with the EMG pickups wouldn't be too good playing anything else besides metal, correct?

Basically, I like the fast necks on "metal" guitars but not as much for the high distortions. What can be a good compromise? I guess I'm looking for something similar to Steve Vai's style. I know there is the RG550, but they're hard to find and are costly.
Last edited by CasperN at Jul 24, 2008,
You really should try both. I have an RG and an SG style guitar, both are great but they are VERY different in terms of how they are to play and how they sound. My friend has a G400 and it's a nice guitar. It depends what you prefer the feel of.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker