ever since ive gotten my godin lg signature, ive had buyers remorce. ah, well. last time i take advice from my brother, a professional jazz musician.
anyway, im selling it as soon as its payed off, as lame as that is. im looking for an upgrade. im looking for something that costs maybe a bit more at most, but still affordable. heres a small list of bands i like to help guide your advice: coheed and cambria, angels and airwaves, all that remains, bring me the horizon, blink-182, coldplay, flogging molly, older greenday, from first to last, family force 5, escape the fate, chiodos, rise against, motion city soundtrack, radiohead, pink floyd, queens of the stone age, porcupine tree, tool. on the other end of the spectrum i listen to joe pass, stevie ray vaughn, and countless other musicians that are a bit easier on the ears. please, no blanket "get a les paul" statements. and if you do, give me a reason.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Last edited by adamrandall at Jul 22, 2008,
Shecter maybe? Im quite fond of the Shecter Hellraiser Fr. But thats just my 2 cents. Affordable and amazing for metal.
just go play a bunch of different ones until one feels right
i'd say HSS strat or a firebird or an SG
just a few things i'd try out if i were you
I want Super Saiyan abilities
i Say like a jackson or a carvin they have amazing unique tone compared to GIBSON OR FENDER.....(sigh...)anyway they can handle most genres quite well and if you ever wanted to start your own band you would sound a bit different and unique compared to the gibson fender tone that is so overplayed.. and it would be nice if you through some dimarzios in there or maybe seymour duncans?
how much are you willing to spend? take a visit to carvin's site, you can get a custom guitar made to your specs, for the most part, and are pretty affordable, compared to high end gibsons and the like. the guitar im ordering at the end of the summer is going to cost me anywhere from 1100 to 1500, depending on if i take out some cosmetic extras.
get a les paul. seriously. or an sg. that will be perfect for those kinds of bands, hard rock, punk, metal.

budget?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by jackofclubs
Shecter maybe? Im quite fond of the Shecter Hellraiser Fr. But thats just my 2 cents. Affordable and amazing for metal.

Doesn't look like most of the bands he likes are metal.

Anyhow, I would suggest maybe looking at what guitar some of the people in those bands use.
Quote by trevorjps
i Say like a jackson or a carvin they have amazing unique tone compared to GIBSON OR FENDER.....(sigh...)anyway they can handle most genres quite well and if you ever wanted to start your own band you would sound a bit different and unique compared to the gibson fender tone that is so overplayed.. and it would be nice if you through some dimarzios in there or maybe seymour duncans?

no point in being different for the sake of being different
if you like a tone go with it, but not just because it doesn't sound like a fender/gibson
that's just silly
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Maybe look at a PRS SE, there are a few options there (singlecut, pickups, bridges etc)

Ibanez S series is fairly versatile, good options.

LTD EC series has a few good options as well (400 + series).

With the music range you are looking at, you need to find a guitar that's versatile, but also going to sound right for you, play as many guitars as you can, it's going to be personal preference in the end.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Doesn't look like most of the bands he likes are metal.

Anyhow, I would suggest maybe looking at what guitar some of the people in those bands use.

Alot of those bands are metal... Especially All that Remains.
the thing is alot of those bands are playing guitars that only would sound good for that style. i do need something versatile. i was considering an hss strat or firebird. i dont like the size of sgs that much. im a bigger guy (not fat, just a sasquatch), and it looks like a toy in my hands. have any advice on carvin guitars? im reluctant to order something in that price range off the internet without ever hearing or playing it. what carvin pickups would be most versatile?
i dont really have a price range. if i find a good guitar, ill save up for it. i have a job, and im not too impacient.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
A lot of jazz players love the Godin guitars. I can't get into them but the uality and price is right.
How do you find your Greg Bennett?
I'm looking at buying one as a backup guitar.

Check out the PRS range, if you can find a guitar with humbuckers that have the split option to make it a singlecoil it will add to the guitars versatility.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Perturabo
How do you find your Greg Bennett?
I'm looking at buying one as a backup guitar.

Check out the PRS range, if you can find a guitar with humbuckers that have the split option to make it a singlecoil it will add to the guitars versatility.

I actually got mine used at guitar center for only $200.
Quite a good deal. Not really much help though. sorry.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
to be honest most of the bands youve listed use a Les Paul. So a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard, i think LPs are pretty Versitile. But if you want some thing different i would say a schecter.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
to be honest most of the bands youve listed use a Les Paul. So a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard, i think LPs are pretty Versitile. But if you want some thing different i would say a schecter.

where do they keep gibsons in guitar center? all they have is like an explorer and 50 sgs. i swear to god, i didnt see a single gibson les paul.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Do NOT get a Gibson Les Paul Studio, if you do get a Les Paul. Quality control on the Studios is pretty iffy. If you end up buying a Les Paul get an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. In spite of the Epiphone on the headstock, they're superior.

High end Epiphone > low end Gibson.

Or you could get a Hagstrom Swede, or a PRS Singlecut SE. Just don't get a Les Paul Studio.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Do NOT get a Gibson Les Paul Studio, if you do get a Les Paul. Quality control on the Studios is pretty iffy. If you end up buying a Les Paul get an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul. In spite of the Epiphone on the headstock, they're superior.

High end Epiphone > low end Gibson.

Or you could get a Hagstrom Swede, or a PRS Singlecut SE. Just don't get a Les Paul Studio.

well, les paul standards, classics, and whatnot are all in the budget. i want a guitar that will be the end all guitar for me.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
how are explorers?
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by adamrandall
well, les paul standards, classics, and whatnot are all in the budget. i want a guitar that will be the end all guitar for me.

Oh damn. Classics?

Now thats a great guitar. They have a Nice Beefy Tone, just the hot rod version of the standard. But you should try them out. And with the studio you can find a good one just look.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
Oh damn. Classics?

Now thats a great guitar. They have a Nice Beefy Tone, just the hot rod version of the standard. But you should try them out. And with the studio you can find a good one just look.

like i said, i have a job. im a teenager, so my whole paycheck either goes to useless sh*t or guitars.

once i sell the godin, ill have about 800 already. plus whatever i make before then. and im willing to wait a bit.

where do they keep the gibsons though?!
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
walk into guitar center, like 50 sgs. no gibson les pauls. alot of epis, no gibsons.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX