So my buddy gave me some jap knock off of a telecaster:

I've never been big on natural finishes, but i love it.

when i got it, it had 2 strings on it, nickles under the saddles to keep the strings from hitting the pick up, which was up way too high, the neck was horribly bowed, the tuner pegs were falling apart, all the adjustments were out.. this thing was a basket case.

so i tightened everything down, got longer screws so i could actually lower the bridge pickup, adjusted the truss rod, set the intonation and i discover that, on every string, any fret below 12 is useless. they aren't set right at all. so now im ordering a new neck for it.

and despite all that crap, i just can't put this thing down. even though its some cheep jap thing, i love the tone, and i'm not even an S/C fan.

what the hell?!?!

also, what are the negatives of using a knock-off body? i mean, if i put a fender neck on it, won't it feel just a like a fender, aside from the finish of the body (or lack thereof)?

anyone else have a piece of crap that they are in love with for some stupid reason? and cheepo guitars really surprise you?

KYLEDIT:
PITCHUR:
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Last edited by Explicit User at Jul 22, 2008,
yeah my behringer. it was my first guitar, and it doesn't cease to amaze me when i play it...my mom bought it used...so i guess it has some mods and im not aware of it...cuz the body doesn't fit the neck very well...i would take pics of what im trying to say of the neck but meh...im too lazy
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Teles are not just a country guitar. I despise country and I use a Tele. You can probably find someone who plays a Tele in any style of music.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with using a Fender neck on a copy body. Just don't try to say it's a real Fender if you ever try to sell it.
Quote by Wonthefu
Teles are not just a country guitar. I despise country and I use a Tele. You can probably find someone who plays a Tele in any style of music.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with using a Fender neck on a copy body. Just don't try to say it's a real Fender if you ever try to sell it.

true. izzy stradlin (spelling please) used a tele.
john 5 uses a tele.
lindsay lohan used a tele in a movie.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I have a cheap acoustic takamine jasmine and i love it. It has a nice deep tone to it. That plus Light strings = sex lol.
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
Oh yeah, i know its not just a country guitar, so many people use them, all over the musical universe.

and no, of course i wouldn't try to pass it off as real, i'm just wondering if it'll have the same feel as a real one.

i'm not one to sell guitars anyway.
Quote by Crimzin3

my handed down Ibanez RX20 and my cheap mockingbird. love em to pieces.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Most Japanese guitars are of high quality, so i dont know why you would call it crap.

since the only thing that seems to be wrong with it is the neck it sounds like you got a nice guitar on your hands.
Quote by magnum1117
yeah my behringer. it was my first guitar, and it doesn't cease to amaze me when i play it...my mom bought it used...so i guess it has some mods and im not aware of it...cuz the body doesn't fit the neck very well...i would take pics of what im trying to say of the neck but meh...im too lazy
i have a phenomenal behringer guitar too. ive had it nearly 5 years and it still plays great but its falling apart a bit.
Quote by jake911
Most Japanese guitars are of high quality, so i dont know why you would call it crap.

since the only thing that seems to be wrong with it is the neck it sounds like you got a nice guitar on your hands.

oh yeah, aside from that crappy neck, its a fantastic Axe. I'm just referring the the general conception that cheep jap guitars are generally refereed to as crap. i mean.. the only other thing I'd replaces is maybe the bridge, because it buzzes like hell.. but from the looks of it, it's designed exactly like real teles..
Quote by Crimzin3

Quote by ikarian-pride
oh, and my yamaha acoustic. it has the most amazing tone in the world

i also have some random yamaha acoustic, and love the sound it makes. its been in need of some new strings for a while though....
Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster
Some random Yamaha acoustic
VOX amPlug AC30
My cheap ass Squire P-Bass

Reason? It was my first bass.

The feeling of the instrument in my hands = teh sex.
Try it, I dare you!
in the states or wherever you are, is it cheaper to buy a neck than getting a refret?

on second thought, staring at that pic, by all means get a new tele neck. those string trees on the headstock are nightmares. the headstock looks like it was made in the ibanez factory. your fretboard needs some fairy juice, it looks pretty dry there.

the body looks very sweet. the more you play it, the more it'll take the shape of your arm into the body.

my first electric was a cheap ol nasty thing called a hondo. the cheeky pricks even gave it a model number. anyway, it was a great guitar to play on. at that stage i came across a set of jackson supersrat pickups and put 'em in. the smoothest jazz and acoustic sound i've ever had out of an electric guitar. the low E would sustain for about 4 or 5 minutes, lol. thats what plywood gets you, apart from the weight. its all wood and steel in the end.

but if someone could answer my opening question that would be great.
My dads got a yamaha acousic which he baught for £100, 30 years ago. I'm actually in love with it cause its aged so beautifully and also sounds great.
Quote by evolucian
in the states or wherever you are, is it cheaper to buy a neck than getting a refret?

on second thought, staring at that pic, by all means get a new tele neck. those string trees on the headstock are nightmares. the headstock looks like it was made in the ibanez factory. your fretboard needs some fairy juice, it looks pretty dry there.

the body looks very sweet. the more you play it, the more it'll take the shape of your arm into the body.

my first electric was a cheap ol nasty thing called a hondo. the cheeky pricks even gave it a model number. anyway, it was a great guitar to play on. at that stage i came across a set of jackson supersrat pickups and put 'em in. the smoothest jazz and acoustic sound i've ever had out of an electric guitar. the low E would sustain for about 4 or 5 minutes, lol. thats what plywood gets you, apart from the weight. its all wood and steel in the end.

but if someone could answer my opening question that would be great.

I'm not even gonna bother getting a refret. the finger board is dented a bit, and i'd liek a tele neck just for the sake of it.
Quote by Crimzin3

I have a Dimavery LP which cost me about 100 bucks and i love it. It's got an awesome thin neck and awesome bassy sound. Probably not made of mahagony but hell i love it.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
mm i also have a Yamaha acoustic i got as a started pack for 200USD
and it sounds amazing. however the wood seemed to become dry in many parts very quickly.
a humidifier was of course quickly inserted.
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by platypus01
i also have some random yamaha acoustic, and love the sound it makes. its been in need of some new strings for a while though....

mine too i just hate removing the pin for my low E because it never comes out without pliers.

i might need to adjust the intonation but im waaay to lazy to even learn how to.
my SG. not a real SG, but a Jay Turser JT-50.
http://www.jayturser.com/jt-50.php
or a personal pic:

love it to bits, incredibly low action, beautiful tone.....
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
My Washburn. The pickups and tuners are absolute shit, but I could never sell that baby. I'm having trouble just thinking about modding it too. I love it to pieces.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Angus_Junior35
my SG. not a real SG, but a Jay Turser JT-50.
... pic ...
love it to bits, incredibly low action, beautiful tone.....

SG + Black Lab = WIN!

My $70 Squier '51 ... yah it was modded a bit, but still (DiMarzio Breed and Heavy Blues + vintage Tokai neck). A true stealth weapon when played through a Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MK II