Page 1 of 2
First of all what is the difference because I'm a noob and don't know. Second which one you like and why.
I'd do me........

ok, so you know when you have an apple, and when you're done eating you're left with the apple core?
well it's the same with metal and metalcore.
as for the second question, I prefer apples.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
depends on the band, I've never really heard anyone say exactly what differentiates the two, especially since Thrash has a lot of hardcore influences as well, and no one says that thrash isn't real metal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Versus threads are against the rules. I hope you don't get a warning or anything. I just want to tip you off before a mod sees this.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
its not really a vs thread i dont think but if it is my bad
I'd do me........

before this closes.

metalcore usually has some melody to it.

metal doesn't so much.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
versus thread?

lame versus thread?

*Double Reported*

EDIT:

To get my two cents in,

Quote by MetalMegaMan
before this closes.

metal doesn't so much.

You don't listen to a whole lot of different kinds of metal, eh?
It's not a vs. thread, he wants to know the difference between metalcore and metal.

Put simply, metal=fast, heavy, complex, while metalcore=somewhat fast, hard, and usually fairly simple. Metalcore is Metal's younger brother....or as some metalheads would claim, it's younger sister.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Metal is manly, Metalcore is manly only 30% of the time and has extremely gay harmonized vocals much like most modern rock music on the radio. Amen.
I don't know. But a lot of people talk crap about metalcore even though some of the crap people refer to as "metal" sucks.

I like both. I'm happy listening to Opeth and Lamb of God.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Mainly the vocals. Metalcore usually has hardcore-style vocals. And also the style of riffing leans much more towards hardcore.

But the thing that bothers me here is that "Metal" is a main genre, and Metalcore is a subgenre of metal. It would be the same as asking what the difference is between Jazz and Swing.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

It's not much a versus thread, but more of a 'what is the difference?' thread.
As for that, listen to Pantera. This is metal.
Then listen to Avenged Sevenfold. This is metalcore.
Basic difference.
Quote by InvaderTSN
I pray to God that you're talking about their last couple of albums.

Didn't save my sorry ass fast enough
I'm not really into any bands that are hinting at metalcore, I don't know
Metal:Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music[1] that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States.[2] With roots in blues-rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, and emphatic beats. Allmusic states that "of all rock & roll's myriad forms, heavy metal is the most extreme in terms of volume, machismo, and theatricality."

Metalcore:Metalcore is a fusion genre that incorporates elements of the hardcore punk and heavy metal genres. The term is a portmanteau of heavy metal and hardcore punk. While the term appears to have taken on its current meaning in the late 1990s (to describe Earth Crisis),[1] the rudiments of the genre were established as early as 1989 in the work of Integrity.[2] Metalcore is distinguished from other punk metal fusions by its emphasis on breakdowns:[3] slower, intense passages conducive to moshing.[4]

Wikipedia ftw.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
To me, the vocals make all the difference. If its just a guy yelling or screaming into a mic, it's metalcore see: as i lay dying, unearth, between the buried and me. (i'm gonna get flamed for that I'm sure). In metal there tends to be more of a twisted vocalization or strait up singing. Also, in a lot of metalcore, breakdowns seem to take the place of solos although there are also some solos. I prefer metal, but not the most extreme stuff. Megadeth and Dream Theater are amazing
hmmm i don't see the defferance between the two i just seems like you call your music by what you think it should be called as i see it
I like the "apple core" analogy. I would imagine that the inclusion of the "-core" suffix makes the whole genre a type of "metal hardcore." Hardcore is usually die-hard bands who don't give a shit about anything except their music and lifestyle, die-hards if you will. So metal hardcore is just die-hard metal bands that live a metal lifestyle. Unfortunately, this is probably not the case and thus my in-depth and careful analysis is probably null.
Um... I don't know, What is metalcore?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind

You don't listen to a whole lot of different kinds of metal, eh?

and how would you come to that conclusion, eh?
all i know is when i go to a show thats "metal" like a dying fetus show slayer or cannibal corpse all i see is smelly dudes with long hair headbanging like theres no tommorrow!!!but hardly any girls but i could be mistaken cuz of all that long hair in the crowd

at a metalcore show like killswitch or as i lay dying all i see is girls dressed all cute dancing with a smile and dudes doing silly karate moves

but all in all both sides have there ups and downs but to me musics music it's all good as for metal and metalcore they both can be pretty brutal they just have different kinda fans
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Gibsons are pure crap, they're made of plywood and don't even have real pickups. Just sponges with silver paint on them and a small spanish man named Pepé inside squealing.
I recognise metalcore when the rhythm guitar is chugging away in drop d tuning and the lead overlays a lighter melody on top.
2002 Epiphone Goth G400 SG
B.C. Rich Warlock custom
1986 Washburn RR2 Flying V
1991 Peavey Falcon II Stratocaster
Quote by Munchlaxatives
It's not a vs. thread, he wants to know the difference between metalcore and metal.

Put simply, metal=fast, heavy, complex, while metalcore=somewhat fast, hard, and usually fairly simple. Metalcore is Metal's younger brother....or as some metalheads would claim, it's younger sister.

Ermmm... "Which one do you like more", sounds like a VS.

-Core bashers are going to show up eventually, and this'll end up being closed anyways.

EDIT:

Quote by MetalMegaMan

Well, considering the huge number of melodic metal bands...

Also, don't mock me, that's a douche move.
Last edited by Fate_of_Mind at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by MadMudgeN
Metal:Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music[1] that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States.[2] With roots in blues-rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, and emphatic beats. Allmusic states that "of all rock & roll's myriad forms, heavy metal is the most extreme in terms of volume, machismo, and theatricality."

Metalcore:Metalcore is a fusion genre that incorporates elements of the hardcore punk and heavy metal genres. The term is a portmanteau of heavy metal and hardcore punk. While the term appears to have taken on its current meaning in the late 1990s (to describe Earth Crisis),[1] the rudiments of the genre were established as early as 1989 in the work of Integrity.[2] Metalcore is distinguished from other punk metal fusions by its emphasis on breakdowns:[3] slower, intense passages conducive to moshing.[4]

Wikipedia ftw.
i believe you wikipiedia you know all
Quote by MetalMegaMan

Quote by MetalMegaMan
before this closes.

metal doesn't so much.

You said it yourself?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Mad-Season
I recognise metalcore when the rhythm guitar is chugging away in drop d tuning and the lead overlays a lighter melody on top.

Drop C usually
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by aznrockerdude
You said it yourself?

No where in my post do I see the words, "I don't listen to that much metal"...

Usually, what I said is true.

Ex. Killswitch Engage, All That Remains - Metal riffs, double bass, screaming, harmonized vocals/chorus'

Lamb of God, Throwdown - Metal riffs, double bass, screaming.

See where I'm going?
Quote by Fate_of_Mind

Also, don't mock me, that's a douche move.

Don't question my knowledge of metal, that's a douche move.
Quote by MetalMegaMan

Ex. Killswitch Engage, All That Remains - Metal riffs, double bass, screaming, harmonized vocals/chorus'

See where I'm going?

IMO, those are not good examples of metal music, numetal maybe but not the good old heavy metal.

GNR, Metallica, Iron maiden has PLENTY of melody.
Quote by Mythmaster30
IMO, those are not good examples of metal music, numetal maybe but not the good old heavy metal.

GNR, Metallica, Iron maiden has PLENTY of melody.

Sure. It's just my opinion though.
Metal riff:
E|----000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000---

or

E|----0000000000000000000000000000000---

or

E|-00-7-00-6-00-5-00-4-0-3-0-2-0

Only Metalcore riff

G|-------8---7---8---10---8---7---SQUEALLLL
C|--0-0---0---0---0-----0---0---0------------

(inb4 "your wrong" )
Quote by lylewithans182

G|-------8---7---8---10---8---7---SQUEALLLL
C|--0-0---0---0---0-----0---0---0------------

Metalcore is more mainstream, first of all, because it takes influences from more than one genre, therefore it is more easily accessable to general audiences. Although metal can do this too, it doesn't necessarily have to, like metalcore does.

Example:

Atreyu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWb93oXXclA
This song sounds influenced by hardcore punk (lots of metalcore is), some 80s glam rock riffs and solo, metal/screamo vocals, etc.

DevilDriver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=800HsgS03o0
Not as many definite influences here, but I can hear some groove metal with a little thrash and melodeath thrown in for good measure.

Easy enough to understand, no?
Quote by MetalMegaMan
Don't question my knowledge of metal, that's a douche move.

Not when you say that metal doesn't have much melody.

I'm listening to Kalmah right now. They're a perfect example of metal with an overload of melody.

What do you expect me to think by saying something like that?
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
Not when you say that metal doesn't have much melody.

I'm listening to Kalmah right now. They're a perfect example of metal with an overload of melody.

What do you expect me to think by saying something like that?

Another good example of melody in metal: Melodic Death Metal.
Quote by MetalMegaMan

See where I'm going?

KSE also has double bass, screaming and metal riffs, does that make them metal? No.
You want metal with melody, go pick up some good Melodic Metal albums.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Page 1 of 2