Hey guys, my Rg1570 is going to be here in a few days (hurray!) and I've got a couple questions on modding it...

First off, I play mostly classic rock (zeppelin AC/DC), alternative stuff (foo fighters) but above all instrumental shred (petrucci, gilbert)

My amp is a Roland Cube 60. I was wondering what kind of pickups I should install, and If i should switch them right away, or save for a new amp.

Would I be able to get a solid tone out of my cube with, say, Dimarzios?

If so, which would be some good pickups (for the bridge and neck mostly) to switch out the stocks for?

Thanks in advance
DiMarzios were practically made for shred guitars, but they might not make much of a difference with your amp (which is a pretty decent amp btw.) It all depends on how you EQ the amp, too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Also, if the common consensus is to get a new amp first, can I get some suggestions? Price doesn't really matter, since I'll be saving, but I'd prefer it to be below a grand.
The Cube isn't that bad from what I hear, on the contrary I hear it's kinda good...
Unless he's gigging I think he's good with it.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
you spent money on the prestige and your first thought is swapping the pickups? i would definitely get a different amp first, if anything. but you probably shouldn't have to upgrade anything... that's a pretty solid rig.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Quote by Hamburglekins
Also, if the common consensus is to get a new amp first, can I get some suggestions? Price doesn't really matter, since I'll be saving, but I'd prefer it to be below a grand.

are you in a band? plan to be in one? gigging?
dont get me wrong the cube is one of the best ss amps out there, but to be honest, high quality pickups wont make a difference with a cube
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Now that you have the great guitar, I would go for a decent tube amp, like the Krank Rev Jr. or the Blackheart Little Giant, or even the Crate V series (research each to find which is best for you). Then go for some PAF Pros or Super Distortions, or one of each.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Ghold125
are you in a band? plan to be in one? gigging?

At this point, no.

I play in a "band" with some of my friends, but the couple gigs we played I played on the cube with a really **** guitar and it was fine. I probably won't be actively giggin for at least another year or so, when I move to the city for college.
if you need to play loud, the Line 6 Spider III 150 is really loud, sounds pretty damn good too (i don't know where all these people are getting their opinions when they say it sucks, it can do just about anything). i've got a friend who has one, we used it in a pretty large auditorium with no mics on it and it sounded terrific. or if you're going cheaper, the Crate 120 watt amps are pretty nice, and also relatively cheap. but if you aren't gigging or anything, stick to what you have.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:

^ *face palm*

look at a peavey jsx combo, great amps and can do anything.
Quote by Ghold125
^ *face palm*

look at a peavey jsx combo, great amps and can do anything.

you would face palm, with your fancy B-52 tube amps... if he's trying to keep it relatively cheap, a tube amp would not be the way to go. i just looked up the JSX combo, it's over $1500. i'm merely suggesting to him a solid state to keep the price down. of course a solid state can't sound as good as tubes. but the cost reflects that.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:

The spider 3, 150 watt is just $50 less than the b-52 combo you called fancy...
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

wait till the guitar arrives and see how it sounds through your cube. that'd be the sensible plan.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?