I'm pretty into Cross Country, and this year our team has a chance of getting to State, with me as the 2nd or 3rd runner. Only problem is, my friend (well, not a super good friend, we basically only talk cause we run together every day) who is our number 1 is super religious and was on a mission trip in Africa. He came back and said that he is quitting because God told him to. What the hell?! I'm gonna be so pissed if God screws up our chances of making it this year.
roflmao
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Brain245
I'm gonna be so pissed if God screws up our chances of making it this year.

I'm sure God would be pissed at you if you screwed up his chances of making it to state when he went to high school as well.
I'd like to hear your friend's proof as to why God exists.
That would be an interesting story.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by ratmblink123

Yeah, I'm not much of a believer myself, but I'm not even gonna try to go that route with him.

Personally i'm not a big fan of trying to convert people over to my beliefs, this would be one of the few cases where it really benefits myself or anyone around me. There's no way I'd be able to convince him that God doesn't exist, he sticks with what he believes pretty strongly. Which I respect, I guess. But anyway I doubt he'd take my advice over his God's advice... our coach is gonna talk with him, but i don't know.
Last edited by Brain245 at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by ratmblink123

Holy ****, you're cool.
Quote by ratmblink123

lmfao +1
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Wow. Believe me or not, I am one of the most open-minded people I know when it comes to religion, but that's just fucking stupid.

But is this your senior year? Cuz if not, there may be a chance he'll come around next year. And if you guys are the top two runners, then I'm sure you guys will still have a pretty good shot at state.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that this is both of our senior years. We were close last year, but kind of got screwed out of it because all of the best teams in this half of the state happen to live right in our area, causing us to lose at regionals.
Quote by Brain245
Yeah, I forgot to mention that this is both of our senior years. We were close last year, but kind of got screwed out of it because all of the best teams in this half of the state happen to live right in our area, causing us to lose at regionals.

Fuck.

Is pretty much all I can say to that. I know how you feel cuz this past year was my last year of high school track and one of our good guys got hurt in the beginning of the season. We were pretty worried that that was going to screw us over, but we ended up getting runners-up, so it wasn't too bad.

But I don't really know what to say to that. Maybe sit him down and ask him what God told him?
LAWL, DID SOMEONE SAY GOD?! NO SUCH THING!!

I love how whenever a thread that talks about Religion pops up, everyone attacks it, but Atheism and such goes unquestioned..

I have nothing against people without religion, but what is the appeal in attacking people's belief?

It's something you have to feel inside of you, I've been directed from a Superior being I believe to do things with my life..

If that's what your friend says, just let him do it..
Quote by Rolento
Holy ****, you're cool.

Dude! I know!

Oh, and I'm not atheist for the record...

BEDBUGS
Quote by ratmblink123

I'm sorry, but whats your point? Religious debates are in no scarce quantity here, you don't need to start one every time someone mentions God.

ON TOPIC: hahah. He works in mysterious ways I guess... Maybe this is a sign that the rest of you need to buck up and rise to the challenge.
LAWL, DID SOMEONE SAY GOD?! NO SUCH THING!!

I love how whenever a thread that talks about Religion pops up, everyone attacks it, but Atheism and such goes unquestioned..

I have nothing against people without religion, but what is the appeal in attacking people's belief?

It's something you have to feel inside of you, I've been directed from a Superior being I believe to do things with my life..

If that's what your friend says, just let him do it..

It's not attacking someone's belief, it's pointing out the uncomfortable fact that people use religion as a shield to hide behind. This runner guy sounds like he's probably tired of this, went to religion camp, and was given the impression that it's not that he doesn't want to do this anymore, it's GOD'S WILL that MAKES him want to stop, so it's okay to quit and take the easy way out.

All bitterness aside that I'm sure that oozed, people like that tend to use the "God Told Me" route because in their eyes, it gives them the right to do anything.

As House once said "Itsn't it interesting that when you talk to god, you're religious, but when god talks to you, you're insane?"
Quote by Dionietzsche
I'm sorry, but whats your point? Religious debates are in no scarce quantity here, you don't need to start one every time someone mentions God.

ON TOPIC: hahah. He works in mysterious ways I guess... Maybe this is a sign that the rest of you need to buck up and rise to the challenge.

The point wasn't to start a debate, I was merely stating my feelings on the situation, and I obviously knew that TS wouldn't have said something that immature to his friend, I was simply messing around.

Sorry for any misconceptions.

BEDBUGS
I'm sorry, but whats your point? Religious debates are in no scarce quantity here, you don't need to start one every time someone mentions God. QUOTE]

Indeed
Yeah. I just hate to see him work this hard for years, then suddenly give it up his senior year. And running is something that he really likes and cares about. Not to mention how it's going to affect me/ the rest of the team.

I don't know how to approach this though, since he knows that I don't believe in God, and I'll come across as a huge prick if I try to talk to him about it. It would be counterproductive.
I wish god would tell my softball coach not to make me run cross country.....

Now i have to diet and run 5 miles every morning before school.
=\
Quote by JessicaGonzo
I wish god would tell my softball coach not to make me run cross country.....

Now i have to diet and run 5 miles every morning before school.
=\

lol

Hmm... maybe we can work out a bargain with God.
Quote by ratmblink123
The point wasn't to start a debate, I was merely stating my feelings on the situation, and I obviously knew that TS wouldn't have said something that immature to his friend, I was simply messing around.

Sorry for any misconceptions.

Yeah yeah, you got the right and everything... but statements like that always start debates, and it just gets exhausting reading the same debate over and over again.