Hi,

My guitar has a female 5-pin DIN connection. My amp, however, has a 1/4" headphone jack input.

I was wondering if I buy a 5-pin DIN cable and a 1/4" headphone cable, could I create a 5-pin DIN to 1/4" headphone adapter?

If not, is there any place you would recommend I look to find such adapter?

Thanks!
Quote by infinitbelt
Hi,

My guitar has a female 5-pin DIN connection. My amp, however, has a 1/4" headphone jack input.

I was wondering if I buy a 5-pin DIN cable and a 1/4" headphone cable, could I create a 5-pin DIN to 1/4" headphone adapter?

If not, is there any place you would recommend I look to find such adapter?

Thanks!

5 pin DIN on your guitar means it is a MIDI connector. If it's a real guitar, though, it should also have a 1/4 inch jack. Otherwise, you also need a MIDI module for it to make synthesizer sound

Congradulations on the purchase of a guitar synth.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by Roc8995
What kind of guitar do you have?

The funny thing is is that it doesn't even have a brand name on it. Its quite old and from Europe so maybe that is why.

Quote by Jestersage

5 pin DIN on your guitar means it is a MIDI connector. If it's a real guitar, though, it should also have a 1/4 inch jack. Otherwise, you also need a MIDI module for it to make synthesizer sound

Congradulations on the purchase of a guitar synth.

So I cannot connect the guitar straight into an amp? What do you mean if it's a real guitar? So for a MIDI module I would have the female 5-pin DIN from the guitar go into what on the module? And then what kind of connection would go from the module to the amp? I am quite new to this type of connection so I am not exactly sure what is going on what is the purpose of the MIDI module?

Thanks!
Last edited by infinitbelt at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by infinitbelt
The funny thing is is that it doesn't even have a brand name on it. Its quite old and from Europe so maybe that is why.

So I cannot connect the guitar straight into an amp? What do you mean if it's a real guitar? So for a MIDI module I would have the female 5-pin DIN from the guitar go into what on the module? And then what kind of connection would go from the module to the amp? I am quite new to this type of connection so I am not exactly sure what is going on what is the purpose of the MIDI module?

Thanks!

Okay, if it's really old, and etc and from europe, we may actually need the pictures to help you.

The reason we say "real guitar" is that some guitars is completely synthesizer, and some is standard guitar with midi out capability. The 5-pin is an assumption, being that in instrument, 5-pin DIN is designed for MIDI use. However, being old, it could be some propriety standard or a special nation's standard, and unless we know more we cannot help you further, except based on more assumptions. Does it have any power switches, and etc?

Also: MIDI is a standard used by synthesizers, that produce sounds digitally. Assuming your guitar cannot output any MIDI signal, it will need a synth module to translate the midi control signals into equivalent MIDI sounds (and from that module can go to amps and etc). Our guitars, even the cheap squier ones, actually work closer to a microphone, by capturing and outputing sounds in analog.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
Okay, if it's really old, and etc and from europe, we may actually need the pictures to help you.

The reason we say "real guitar" is that some guitars is completely synthesizer, and some is standard guitar with midi out capability. The 5-pin is an assumption, being that in instrument, 5-pin DIN is designed for MIDI use. However, being old, it could be some propriety standard or a special nation's standard, and unless we know more we cannot help you further, except based on more assumptions. Does it have any power switches, and etc?

Also: MIDI is a standard used by synthesizers, that produce sounds digitally. Assuming your guitar cannot output any MIDI signal, it will need a synth module to translate the midi control signals into equivalent MIDI sounds (and from that module can go to amps and etc). Our guitars, even the cheap squier ones, actually work closer to a microphone, by capturing and outputing sounds in analog.

Here's a picture: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/100_4848.jpg

Thanks!
Is the front jack the only jack? I can't see what other jack is available. Also, you should show us the headstock, too, both front and back. (or even the neck plate if it exist)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
Is the front jack the only jack? I can't see what other jack is available. Also, you should show us the headstock, too, both front and back. (or even the neck plate if it exist)

Yes, that is the only jack (the female 5-pin DIN).

Here's the front of headstock: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/100_4849.jpg
Here's the back of headstock: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/100_4850.jpg

Thanks!
Okay... unfortunately, I could not help you anymore except taking a big assumption that the jack is midi out, and the numerous knobs and buttons manipulate the sound. However, it is a BIG assumption.

In any case, you should either try to get another guitar, or see if it's possible to trace the guitar wiring circuit to determine how the pickups are wired with the output (seeing you know electronic stuff), and from there determine if it's MIDI out or just analog output with a different plug.

BTW, what is your amp?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
The russians use to make guitars just like this. I saw billy gibbons had one he said he never did figure out how to plug it in.
I'm currently in the process of looking into getting a 70's soviet electric. You can easily find the 5Din to 1/4" jack adapter on eBay. Hope this helps!
Quote by T.Rambow
I'm currently in the process of looking into getting a 70's soviet electric. You can easily find the 5Din to 1/4" jack adapter on eBay. Hope this helps!

Bro seriously? A 5 year old thread?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs