i've been playing guitar since i was a little kid. i'm not amazing but i'm far from an amatuer. i started taking lessons about 2 months back to bone up on my bag of tricks since i'm primarily self taught.

anyways, my guitar instructor is a little bit older then me and is the best guitarist i've met. my lessons end up being nothing really but us talking about metal bands and discussing our favorite shredders. he of course writes out about a page full of licks each lesson cuz i did go there to learn something. every now and then we jam out to a chord progression and take turnes soloing. there's been moments where he's had to stop and say DUDE, so i guess i'm doing something right. i like jamming with the guy and we have very similar tastes in music and i'd like to start a band with him. would it be a no no to ask my teacher to start a band? we're both about the same age and i know he looks forwards to my lessons.

what do you guys think?
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
if you are the same age, then do it.. but if not the EXACT same age.. no..
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
he is probably too good to want to start a band with you. just being honest. but instead of saying, do you want to start a band lulz. ask him if he wants to chill sometime. and let it go from there... let the magic happen.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
if you are the same age, then do it.. but if not the EXACT same age.. no..

i'm 21 and he's 24. so is that a no?
huh. well maybe man. idk thats kinda a toughy
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
Quote by tona_107
he is probably too good to want to start a band with you. just being honest. but instead of saying, do you want to start a band lulz. ask him if he wants to chill sometime. and let it go from there... let the magic happen.

oh i dunno dude
he's told me my rythym chops are better than his

but his leads destroy mine's

so i think that's like a perfect union

like tipton and downing

ya know?
For some reason while reading I got the vibe you wanted to do more than start a band with him. <_<
Quote by emkaybee
For some reason while reading I got the vibe you wanted to do more than start a band with him. <_<

no no no no no

there will be no going brokeback here
if you both enjoy making music together then yes
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Quote by tona_107

my experience, friends first who just like to jam, bandmates second. :-)
Quote by emkaybee

lol.

but seriously if you have to ask if its a good idea, its probably not.
Quote by emkaybee

haha yea me too
but yea man go for it if you think he feels the same tell him how you feel.....then ya know do the whole band thing.
Hahaha

Coming to theatres in August!

BROKEBACK BAND!!

haha...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
He probably doesn't want to start bands with his students. You are not his only student, and if he is extremely helpful and friendly and complimenting all the time, its because he does that to all of his students so he can keep them. Remember this - he has dozens of students. He is not in dozens of bands.
Do NOT look behind you.
I dont think its a huge deal if your a little younger than him. Im sixteen and in a band with three people over 20 but youd never guess by the way we get along. I do think that you have to be a little careful when approaching this. I agree with the person that said hang out first and let the magic happen. Stuff will fall into place eventually.
I see no problem with asking the guy, you're near enough the same age, you're obviously into the same stuff and he already seems more of a jamming partner than teacher.

Quote by VRAerosmith2
I dont think its a huge deal if your a little younger than him.

Agreed.
The whole age thing is purely image related, if you're not too bothered about image, it hardly matters if there is an age difference because it's the music that matters.
I know plenty of older guys who have, or have had, younger guys in their band simply because they are outstanding musicians.
Look at it this way, when putting a band together, the most important attribute you're looking for in a fellow musician would be how well you can get along with them, then musical ability, then there's what else that person can bring to a band, maybe they have a PA system or a van, then there's musical taste, idealy you want someone with similar, but not exact, musical tastes to yourself (which can kinda be age related since people of a similar age are more likely to have similar musical tastes) and lastly age.
With each attribute that you demand of a band member, the harder it is to find someone who fits all the attributes, so the question of age should really only arise if you find yourself in the position of having to chose between two or more people for a position in your band
If they both fit all the attributes equaly well, but one is from a much different age group from your own, then it's probably best to go for the guy who is nearer your own age group.
But how many of us ever find ourselves in that position? It's usualy a case of taking whoever is available.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 23, 2008,
I was thinking about asking my instructor the same thing, as we have all the same tastes in music, yet he's a little over 20 years older than me, I'm 21.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Look at All That Remains. One of the guitarists was the others student. That band is hella good and shizz, maybe you and your teach can end up like that.
Quote by JagStang5246
Look at All That Remains. One of the guitarists was the others student. That band is hella good and shizz, maybe you and your teach can end up like that.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers was the same way. Mike Campbell, their lead guitarist, was Petty's teacher when they were still in Mudcrutch.