So, i've been using a starter pack yamaha for a while, but recently i've been thinking, I need a new guitar.

I've actually "performed," for a couple of friends and I guess it was okay, songs weren't too hard if you compare them to what people usually play, but now i'm starting to think I need to get an acoustic-electric if i'm going to play at school next year.

So i'm thinking, for my birthday (which is in January, long way I know) I want to split the cost with my parents to get a very nice, acoustic-electric. Well, maybe my budget isn't that great; around 600 but it's subject to grow depending on how much I save; but i'm a high school student. My parents aren't too fond of this guitar idea, but they still know I need a new guitar.

I'm going to split the cost with them; so I have until now to January.. to get a guitar of my choice but I want to have sort of a good idea. I play for church, and usually mellow acoustic songs; you know.. the Gabe Bondac, kind.

A friend who loves guitars tells me Takamines are the way to go, but I need to open my eyes to EVERYTHING to get the best things I can. When I go to Guitar Center that weekend on my birthday, i'll have a list ready to try them all out. So, I wait for your responses.
will this mainly be used plugged in? If so go for Ovation, they sound amazing plugged in but not as good unplugged.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'd recommend you start looking at/trying different guitars now (or soon) rather than when you're planning to actually buy. That way you'll have had time to figure out what you like, which guitars feel good to you, etc. Better than showing up at the store in January and rushing a decision or something.
Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster
Some random Yamaha acoustic
VOX amPlug AC30
I dont think anyone plugs their acoustic in more than they play acoustically unless they only use the guitar for performances, and that's rare. Most people will use an acoustic acoustically. the Yamaha APX series and Ovations sound bad unplugged. Assuming it's $600 USD, you can get an acoustic that sounds decent plugged and unplugged.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i've got an Ovation and i adore it i play it more than my electrics. i've never found anything that wrong with the sound unplugged though? hope i'm not hi-jacking but whats up with the sounds of Ovations?
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
i recently tried many ovations around that price but didnt like most of them acoustically. they sound great plugged in though especially the ones with the OP-PRO preamp. there was even a LX balladeer at my GC for only 680 USD.

takamines arent my personal favorite. they seem dull to me IMO.

try Breedloves. sound wise they are right between Martins bassy sound to Taylors twangy sound. and i just got a Breedlove AD25 SR Plus and i love it

btw which yamaha starter pack did you have? i also started with a yamaha. it was the Yamaha Deluxe started with the FD-02.
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by 595escape!
i've got an Ovation and i adore it i play it more than my electrics. i've never found anything that wrong with the sound unplugged though? hope i'm not hi-jacking but whats up with the sounds of Ovations?

i think that's because you're more of an electric guitar player. to most of us acoustic guys, ovations sound like crap compared to what else is out there.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by minixmin
i recently tried many ovations around that price but didnt like most of them acoustically. they sound great plugged in though especially the ones with the OP-PRO preamp. there was even a LX balladeer at my GC for only 680 USD.

takamines arent my personal favorite. they seem dull to me IMO.

try Breedloves. sound wise they are right between Martins bassy sound to Taylors twangy sound. and i just got a Breedlove AD25 SR Plus and i love it

btw which yamaha starter pack did you have? i also started with a yamaha. it was the Yamaha Deluxe started with the FD-02.

Yamaha SCF08. Action's quite high to my taste, it's getting hard.

Yeah, I figured I can maybe save a lot more money than 600$, so I might get even more.. I was also looking at that Breedlove online, and it made me swoon. I want that one definitely but i'm afraid the price will skyrocket by January.

Yeah, maybe even more than 600 is my price range; when I play for school (only a few times when I go up during the fall/winter concert) but acoustically, i'll be playing at church. I'll still need a really nice one.
But i'll definitely go start trying some at stores.