I've been told that to solo "in key" would require you to take a chord progression and solo over it using basically an equivilent scale. So to solo over a G major chord progression you could use the G major scale or a few G major scale modes. If I was to solo over a G major pregression using an F scale, this would bo out of key; is that correct?

What if I wanted to solo using A minor pent. and G major? For example a song I know contains the Aminor chord and G major in the intro; the verse alternates between G, Am, C and D. When I solo using the Am pent and G major over the intro/bridge, it sounds good. Would this be solosing with arpeggios?
Use the relative minor to solo with a pentatonic scale in G major. So, instead of A minor pent, use E minor pent.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
The interesting thing about pentatonic scales is that you do not have to use the relative minor pentatonic. You can generally use any minor pentatonic from a minor chord in that key.

For example.

Song is in C major - chords C F G Am repeat.

You can use any minor pentatonic from D E or A. Because these are the minor chords in C major.
Quote by pwrmax
bangoodcharlote might kill me for posting this but this video's pretty useful for the problem you're having.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=marty+friedman+melodic+control&ei=ckuHSN6fEYa64gK71tGQCA

Why would she kill you? She's not god. She doesn't own the video. She has no reason to.

TS: The first thing you said is right. You solo with a scale that has the same root as the key.

For the second part. An A minor chord is in the key of G major (hell, all those chords are) so all you do is solo with the G major scale and when you're over each chord accent the notes of the chord. So, when you hit the A minor chord, you're still playing G major over it but accent the A, C, E notes because they're in the chord (so you know they will sound good).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by jasonmetal love
Use the relative minor to solo with a pentatonic scale in G major. So, instead of A minor pent, use E minor pent.

You're still using the G major scale, not E minor. The scale is defined by its relationship to the tonal center.