All right. I have a fender fm 212r amp. It's very loud, and the cleans are actually very good but the distortion isn't quite cutting it. I need something that sounds...well just better. I'm looking for a somewhat light distortion, that at the most is heavy enough for AC/DC covers. All i am looking for is a single pedal because I already have a multi-effects pedal(digitech rp250) I have heard the Ibanez tube screamer is good?
Advice???
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Zvex box of rock, two circuits, a boost and overdrive circuit, sound modelled after a cranked JTM 45, can get an early Angus tone easily.

Or a Fulltone OCD, similar unit, both are very good, but be prepared to shell out some big bucks.

TS-9 is a good unit, but not for AC/DC type of sounds.
hmmm i think I'm gonna check that one out. Do they typically carry that at guitar center?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
From other threads, I have heard it is mostly meant for tube amps and mine is a ss? Will it still have a good tone?(like in some of the demonstration videos)
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Well better yet, which of those would sound better through a SS amp?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
I think that OD pedal only for tube amp thing is a load of bollox. If they're supposed to drive tube amps into overdrive then why do they have their own clipping circuits? They make their own overdrive emulation.
These go to eleven...
All right...I think I'll go for the box of rock because it seems a little more like full distortion pedal vs. just od. Do you think any local non-chain guitar stores would carry it?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by Rockerdude135
All right...I think I'll go for the box of rock because it seems a little more like full distortion pedal vs. just od. Do you think any local non-chain guitar stores would carry it?

Honestly your best chance is go to a larger music store choose a similar guitar to yours and try out various overdrive pedals on the stores Frontman's (hopefully they have them).
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
I've been playing acoustic for the past few years so I just had a little search for new technology and found these:

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdrive.html

They look fantastic and might well be what you're looking for - to add a bit of valve colour and warmth. As soon as I see a boost one in a shop I'm going to try it with my AC-50!
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I think that OD pedal only for tube amp thing is a load of bollox. If they're supposed to drive tube amps into overdrive then why do they have their own clipping circuits? They make their own overdrive emulation.

theyre not supposed to drive tube amps. they are exactly as you say, to emulate a tube od.
but regardless, a od wont have as warm of a tone through an ss.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
The clean boost is what I use to drive a tube amp but if I want to get a similar tone at low volume levels, I use the overdrive circuit (by the time you're pushing a non-master volume plexi into overdrive, its no longer at a reasonable volume, an overdrive pedal is a must)

the box of rock is a great great unit, it will at least sound decent through any amp and is super flexible. If you're looking for Angus Young/Clapton/Hendrix tones, its probably the best available alternative to an actual JTM45 stack. I think you'll have some trouble finding one in a Guitar center though, but here is a list of dealers.

http://www.zvex.com/dealers.html

They are expensive though ($199-$350) but worth every penny. Don't get me wrong, if you want the true sound of a cranked tube amp, you'll eventually need to get a real tube amp, but this is what I would use when I simply can't turn my amp to 10.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 23, 2008,
Hey Rockerdude,

I have a Frontman 212
I have a Digitech Bad Monkey
I have a Digitech RP250

I have not tried the Monkey OD on the Frontman but would be willing to try later and let you know. If you are wanting a good tube sound and you ARE gigging you may want to just sell the Frontman and get a used 30 watt tube amp.

Also, there are Overdrive effects in the RP like Maxon and Tubescreamer so you can always try to find a preset you like and then crank up the OD. Have you tried that? I have not but I hear other people that do. Do you have X-Edit software downloaded on PC?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Rockerdude,

I have a Frontman 212
I have a Digitech Bad Monkey
I have a Digitech RP250

I have not tried the Monkey OD on the Frontman but would be willing to try later and let you know. If you are wanting a good tube sound and you ARE gigging you may want to just sell the Frontman and get a used 30 watt tube amp.

Also, there are Overdrive effects in the RP like Maxon and Tubescreamer so you can always try to find a preset you like and then crank up the OD. Have you tried that? I have not but I hear other people that do. Do you have X-Edit software downloaded on PC?

All right...well I got the amp for a discount from some guy I know who thought he was gonna use it for a band that didnt accept his tryout, so selling it is a no-no. And I have downloaded tons of presets from the site...but there just digital and don't sound good once i crank my amp past 5,(my amp sounds better at high volumes alone) I'm hopin the box of rocks works well... and I can always just plug it into my friends peavey half stack for gigs/recording. thanks for the help
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Maybe there IS a single pedal out there that can get you those ^ tones (AC/DC covers) on a solid state frontman. I can try the OD on mine but it won't be for several hours.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by jake911
Try a digitech bad monkey.

No. The Bad Monkey is DigiTechs version of the TS-9 tubescreamer. Its already been determined that a tube screamer will not give him the tones he wants.
do u think the box of rock will have tones similar to those of slash?
Gear

Crate Vintage Club 50

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Here are the ones you'll hear the most often.

Fulltone OCD, Maxon OD808, Maxon OD-9.

I haven't tried the OCD but face-to-face i liked the OD-9 more than the OD808.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by Rockerdude135
do u think the box of rock will have tones similar to those of slash?

You could certainly PLAY Slash stuff, but whether the tone is similar... I don't think so.

The box of rock is modeled after a JTM45, Slash tone is getting into JMP-JCM territory.
Well, personally I'd say get the Fulltone OCD. The HP mode will give your SS amp a more tube-esque vintagey tone, and if/when you use a friend's tube amp, you could always turn it to LP mode for a more transparent OD. It's very flexible .
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
^Yeah, that's probably the best option but I did just hook up my Bad Monkey to my Frontman for the first time and wo....big difference. Both clean and dirty channels (I have one set up clean the other dirty). Man, that actually sounded pretty good. Volume 4 tho.
i can nail ac/dc tone with a bad monkey on either my valve jr or my bandit 112. for a $100 less.