Page 1 of 2
I mean, I'm really curious. And who said it's bad? As a Christian, I don't see a rule that says, "When you say a bad word, you'll go to hell."

I mean, it's just all weird, why most people (old ones) in society are so mad at bad words. And now, words like STUPID/DARN are also considered BAD.

Who ever started using them? Who said that you can't use them? When did they start bad words? (Egyptian times/Roman/etc)
Bad words are just words that someone said are bad in the nature they are used.
Everything's got rules.
Blarghuh Highum Doogin

Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.
Quote by Punkrocker94
Everything's got rules.

The question was "Who decided that certain words are considered bad?"

Why are they considered bad? If I said "Stop being such a butt," nobody cares. But if I say "Stop being such an ass," it's a horrible thing. So obviously it's not the meaning that's bad. So it must be the sound. But how can a sound be offensive?
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
The question was "Who decided that certain words are considered bad?"

Why are they considered bad? If I said "Stop being such a butt." Nobody cares. But if I say "Stop being such an ass!" It's a horrible thing. So obviously it's not the meaning that's bad. So it must be the sound. But how can a sound be offensive?

Well then, I got no fuckin' idea.
Blarghuh Highum Doogin

Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.
Well some like bastard were already existing words, which people found offense to being called I suppose.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

well its all cultural if you ask me, i actually believe that britains cuss words are different from ours, its just really a language difference, also how you use the word in context
bitch is not a bad wrod it is a femal dog
ass is a donkey
alot of the words not being used is based on religous referance as well if im not mistaken, because alot of words in the bible that are used to represent evil (dont know which ones so i dont want to guess and be wrong someone with a religous enlightenment might be able to say what words) or evil doings are labeled as bad ajnd thus frownd upon in our heavily christian culture (which is what the american society is sad to say to those of us who dont think that right to other religons) other than that i have no clue
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
the word biatch is not a derogatory term in its original language and context. when it is translated to english it is taken as a curse word and concluded derogatory...thats the case with most bad words ro curse words
Quote by Punkrocker94
Well then, I got no fuckin' idea.

Watch your fucking language. God damn.
Quote by Flying Couch
Watch your fucking language. God damn.

in the words of bart simpson if its in the bible its not a swear so shut the hell up you damn ass monkey
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I blame the government!!

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by martinez952000
Who the hell made up bad words?
ask questions like a five year old.
do you actually think there's one person or group of people
who sit around thinking up words intended to be "bad"?

Quote by martinez952000
I mean, I'm really curious. And who said it's bad?
when words are unacceptable for common usage in society,
they are often labeled as "bad words".

Quote by martinez952000
As a Christian, I don't see a rule that says, "When you say a bad word, you'll go to hell."
at some point you'll be able to comprehend a difference
between fitting in with societal norms
and religious doctrine.

Quote by martinez952000
I mean, it's just all weird, why most people (old ones) in society are so mad at bad words.
no, that's only your perception.
just because most people are polite enough to avoid words that offend people's sensibilities, especially in mixed company,
that does not mean they are "mad" at bad words.

Quote by martinez952000
Who ever started using them?
offensive words and phrases continue to be coined to this day.

Quote by martinez952000
Who said that you can't use them?
no one has to "say" you can't use them.
if they offend, we avoid them on most occasions.

Quote by martinez952000
When did they start bad words? (Egyptian times/Roman/etc)
who cares? what does it matter?
there is little doubt words that offend have been around for centuries,
perhaps millenniums.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i duno...google it
------------------------------------------------------------------

im a girl, dont call me 'he'

Quote by aznmetalhead93
I used to think Eddie Van Halen was a vampire.
Quote by samox95
hello wats up anybody heard of ben folds five

what do you mean with your post?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
There's a bad side to everything.
It pisses me off sometimes.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I like you and you are special

Quote by perry589
I don't wank. I auto fellatio.

It's against Christian morals because with those you are not supposed to do or say something that could cause another person to fall. So, basically words that are considered generally offensive by society, i.e. bad words, can cause another person to falter in what they do. Aside from that, it's just considered impolite to use those words accepted as dirty.
Quote by Dillona
Well some like bastard were already existing words, which people found offense to being called I suppose.

A lot of people do but its not because of the word i don't think. It's only as offensive as the thing it implies. Its actual sound kind of intensifies it like any other curse word.
Well I just made up ghecknutter.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by Punkrocker94
Everything's got rules.

I'm Brian Fellow!
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Quote by martinez952000
I mean, I'm really curious. And who said it's bad? As a Christian, I don't see a rule that says, "When you say a bad word, you'll go to hell."

I mean, it's just all weird, why most people (old ones) in society are so mad at bad words. And now, words like STUPID/DARN are also considered BAD.

Who ever started using them? Who said that you can't use them? When did they start bad words? (Egyptian times/Roman/etc)

Damn is a bad word in a Christian context, so is hell, how Christian are you man?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
*SuperKoolKid opens up Bible*

James 3.1-12
1. Let not many of you become teachers, my bretheren, knowing as such we shall incur a stricter judgement.
2. For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well.
3. Now if we put the bits into the horses' mouths so that they may obey us, we direct their entire body as well.
4. Behold, the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder, wherever the inclination of the pilot desites.
5. So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!
6. And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among out members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
7. For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by the human race.
8. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
9. With it we bless our Lord and Father; and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;
10. from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My bretheren, these things ought not to be this way.
11. Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water?
12. Can a fig tree, my bretheren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Neither can salt water produce fresh.

Simply put, cussing is abhored because, religiously, it IS a sin. And that's the root of why even some athiests are offended by cussing.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
use logic. bad words are just normal words that have vulgar meaning (damn, hell, pussy, faggot, ****) and have been used vulgarly or words made up for a vulgar term (shlt, f*ck, etc)

they have probably been around as long as language has been around.
Certain words became bad because of repeated "connotations" or implications that began to surface as the words caught on... As a Christian as well, the Bible still says not to swear but never says that if you do, you are automatically going to hell. Otherwise that would defeat the point of Christianity which is admitting we as humans are imperfect and thus can't do it on our own to save ourselves...

...am I right?

Bad words, though. Come on. Sorry excuse for a lack of vocabulary. Immature for the most part. Only know how to communicate anger or rash feelings in a manner that is disrespectful and contrary to what is appropriate.
Quote by samox95
hello wats up anybody heard of ben folds five

Why? Why would you even ask that! THIS IS THE PIT! YOU ****ING MONKEY FAPPER!!!
I'm guessing most of the words come from Latin. Dastardly Latinstanis.

Although it could be us just taking their meanings too far. I bet the word 'F.uck' started out as meaning "a sexual push" and a bunch of conservatives decided they didn't like being f.ucked.
Quote by burrit0
They sound vulgar right? Maybe that's why.

Anything sounds vulgar if used the right way like if you screamed fuck when you hit your toe sounds vulgar, but really you could yell anything after hitting your toe and it will sound vulgar.

CORNBREAD if yelled loud scares the **** outta me.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by fortysix&2
Damn is a bad word in a Christian context, so is hell, how Christian are you man?

All I know is damn is used in the Bible as punishment or something. They said that if you go to hell, you'll be in eternal DAMNATION.

And if you disect (if that's how you spell it) the cuss G*d d*mn *t. It's just telling God to send that thing to eternal damnation.

This is what I know, please correct me if I'm wrong.
it always baffles me, why we have more than one word for things that dont even have that many ways of doing it. and some of those words for the same action are acceptable, while others are frowned upon...if i was gonna go to the bathroom, i could say, dropping a D, dumping, pooping, deficating(sp?), ****ting....
Page 1 of 2