alright guys ive got it...what does every great rock and roll band have?

whatever your thinking no your wrong.....they all have a great 5/7 rock riff....yes a riff on the 5th and 7th fret, usually on the e,a and d strings. for example here are some great 5/7 rock riffs...

deep purple - black night
chilis - readymade
muse - knights of cydonia
wolfmother - woman
rolling stones - bitch
the doors - break on through
audioslave - cochise
black sabbath - iron man
led zeppelin - black dog

theres a few i can think of, maybe not all the notes are on the 5 or 7 but you get the jist....

laugh if you want, but if ya wanna create a great rock riff just follow the recipe!

just thort i would share that with ya all the best

jordan from new zealand
and that is helpfull because......?
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
add joker and the thief by wolfmother too

but erm... your little theory doesn't apply to the greatest rock riff of all time - SMOKE UNDER WAAATER ! TAM TAM TEEEM ! TAM TAM TEM-TAAAAM ! TAM TAM TEEEM, TEEEM TE-DAAAM !

(yes i know it's smoke on the water)
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jul 23, 2008,
sorry, you have helped the entire UG community by showing us that some famous songs have a powerchord in them? oh, usually an A powerchord? really?

i think i speak on behalf of everyone when i say thanks for your help, but maybe don't post it next time.
riffs contain A,B,D,E or G...?

MAYBE, im not sure but MAYBE its coz most riffs are in Am, Bm, Em etc. (or their relative majors...) where all of A,B,D,E and G are natural?

Quote by megadethdefying
sorry, you have helped the entire UG community by showing us that some famous songs have a powerchord in them? oh, usually an A powerchord? really?

i think i speak on behalf of everyone when i say thanks for your help, but maybe don't post it next time.

^ enough said.
hey its constructive you ****ing noobs!maybe if you spent a little more time PLAYING your guitar instead of trying to be the smartest guitar guy on the net you could make a decent riff or too....but then again maybe not liking bands like megadeth