Hi all...i'm not really that new to the forums but i'm new to the guitar. I have an Aria TA-50 (i think that's the model) with 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers. The amp i have is a Marshall MG30 DFX (yes, i know people don't like them...but don't bother replying if you're here to flame)

Basically...what i'm after is a pedal for a sound similar to The Strokes and other similar "indie" *cringe* bands.

I was thinking of using the clean channel on my amp (which in my opinion is pretty nice) and using an overdrive pedal. Would i be right in thinking that it is an overdrive pedal i am looking for? The OD channel on my amp is ok for things i like to play such as Queens of the Stone Age and Weezer...but it just doesn't cut it for a sound similar to The Strokes. I know i may be way out of my depth trying to get this sound with this amp, but i'd like to get as close as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Buy a multi-effects pedal. Find what effects make up the sound you want and then take the multi back and trade it for the effect pedals you like.
Quote by Toker420
Buy a multi-effects pedal. Find what effects make up the sound you want and then take the multi back and trade it for the effect pedals you like.

Or he could just go to a guitar store, choose a similar bodied guitar with duncans and try out different pedals on the sotres MG30DFX's.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by Leper_Messiah_
Or he could just go to a guitar store, choose a similar bodied guitar with duncans and try out different pedals on the sotres MG30DFX's.

I actually never thought of that. The guitar shop near to me isn't a huge named store and the guy who owns it is pretty awesome. I was thinking of ordering from the internet...but i guess going there would be a good idea because you can try all the stuff (i spent hours in there trying guitars and amps )

I also like the multi effects idea. I think i'll just have to try them out, then.

Thanks to the both of you
Quote by Leper_Messiah_

or take his own guitar there.

Don't take this as flaming, because i'm not, i'm offering a genuine suggestion:

the fact you are asking for an overdrive pedal tells me that you are not happy with the "overdrive" on your amp. Normally, the way i'd look at it would be, if i wasn't happy with a major feature of the amp, i'd come to the conclusion that i needed a new amp. Because, to be fair, if you're running a solid state overdrive pedal through the clean channel of a solid state amp it'll probably sound more or less the same as the amp's overdrive because the overdrive in a solid state amp is normally wired up like an effect on top of the cleans anyway. Its really not going to be a lot better.

That was just a suggestion - you don't have to take my advice, after all, its just my opinion. I could also give you some pointers of pedals to take a look at which is probably what you really wanted to hear:

Proco Rat
Boss SD-1 or BD-2
Digitech Bad Monkey or Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Tubescreamer (theres a whole range)
A few others, more than i can think of at the moment.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
you want a distortion pedal not an overdrive. you use an overdrive pedal on a tube amp. it wont sound as good with a solid state amp, and definitely not good through an MG (based on experience).

Pro Co Rat 2
EHX Metal Muff
EXH Big Muff Pi
MXR Dist +
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic or Mayhem
Seymour Duncan Lava Box
Boss DS-1
Digitech DF-7
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC