Poll: Can you understand screams?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you understand screams?
Yes, no problem.
30 7%
Mostly.
150 35%
Only sometimes.
173 41%
No, Never.
72 17%
Voters: 425.
Page 1 of 4
I was reading that article with Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy and this part caught my eye.

"You talk about developing this style and yet without a lyric sheet, it’s almost impossible to understand the lyric."

Now i was listening to dead eyes see no future while I was reading it and really, I don't have any trouble understanding her lyrics, or the lryics of most "screamers" really without having a lyrics book infront of me, so pit, do you?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Nope

not in the slightest

Bezerker esque screaming is the worst. there are a few that i can understand, and thats usually because i've quickread the lyric book...so therefore no!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I start to understand after listening to a particular vocalist for a while, like I can understand 8 foot sativa's early vocalist pretty well, and Chuck.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Can't understand. Don't need to either.

I think the screaming/growling style of vocals serves more as an instrumental element that is incorporated with all the other instruments to create a "wall of sound". To me, the actual lyrics are strictly ornamental.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I can understand most peoples screaming. But bands like deicide and burzum. I have no idea wtf they say
They only unclean vocals i can't hear are those of Gorgoroth (wich they don't print anyway) and mayhem, other screams,grunts,squeeks i can hear, though COF gets hard too:P
i cant understand screaming :/
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Lamb of god screaming is extremely easy to understand

but stuff like Job for a Cowboy i cant understand half of what hes saying
For the last time, it's not called fucking screaming.

It depends on the vocalist. Chuck Schuldiner of Death was pretty much perfectly understandable, as is Frank Mullen of Suffocation. However, Jason Mendonca of Akercocke is not, as is Lord Worm of Cryptopsy.

The more used you are to listening to growling, the more you understand stuff which you otherwise probably wouldn't.
Quote by webbtje

It depends on the vocalist. Chuck Schuldiner of Death was pretty much perfectly understandable, as is Frank Mullen of Suffocation. However, Jason Mendonca of Akercocke is not, as is Lord Worm of Cryptopsy.

The more used you are to listening to growling, the more you understand stuff which you otherwise probably wouldn't.

Yeah Chuck is pretty easy.

I also can't understand grindcore type pig vocals and whatnot, although I can pick up a bit from Regurgitate here and there.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by webbtje

Oh i am terribly sorry for using a generally well understood term so that the majority of people coming into this thread would know what I meant ... Please forgive me for using a term that doesn't sit right with you because you've told us so many times before .... despite the fact I've never seen you post before.

Now wouldn't it have just been easier to post the majority of your post without the opening line making you look like a total tool?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
I can hear Chuck clearly like you said, and I can hear Angela very clearly too.

Most screaming isn't that hard to hear clearly, but I don't listen to much br00tal metal.

Also, the poster above me is right, the way we use "screaming" is an idiom, so no need for tl;dr quasi-intellectual crap.
Quote by tommyt
Oh i am terribly sorry for using a generally well understood term so that the majority of people coming into this thread would know what i meant ... Please forgive me for using a term that doesn't sit right with you because you've told us so many times before .... despite the fact I've never seen you post before.

Now wouldn't it have just been easier to post the majority of your post without the opening line making you look like a total tool?

Never seen me post before? Oh I'm sorry, I'm guessing other people might have seen one of my 7,147 posts. Look, does this sound like 'screaming'?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOQuX7pCiPo

You scream like that when you're in pain? I'm not having a go, it's just not called screaming, and it's not called screaming for a very good reason: it's not screaming.
Quote by webbtje
Never seen me post before? Oh I'm sorry, I'm guessing other people might have seen one of my 7,147 posts. Look, does this sound like 'screaming'?

You scream like that when you're in pain? I'm not having a go, it's just not called screaming, and it's not called screaming for a very good reason: it's not screaming.

Look ... i don't care how many post's you have, I used a general term that most people will understand, you obviously did as you managed to actually answer the question.

It really doesnt matter if you don't like the term screaming, boo hoo, get over it.

oh, and no, I havent seen you post before.

I understand that a lot of vocalists have a growl, a squeal, etc etc etc forever and to eternity, not all singers have the same vocal style, but they all sing.

sing, it's another one of those general terms the majority, casual listeners will understand.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
It depends on the band, and how much you listen to the band. For some bands, I can't understand what they're screaming/growling/harsh-vocalling/whatever, but when I check the lyric book it just sort of clicks.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
Quote by webbtje

You haven't even told them what it's really called yet !
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
i can only understand cradle of filth and 36 crazyfists. i dont know how the hell i can understand them but nothing else.
Quote by webbtje
OK, that's settled. Now tea and crumpets all around.

My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Yeah, no problem.

Admittedly a couple are ridiculous, but it's just the same as any other music. If you don't listen properly you can't expect to tell what they say.
Quote by Metal_Rich
You haven't even told them what it's really called yet !

Quiet you
screaming makes very little sense in music
save it for when your getting stabbed
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)

(sorry, I said I'd stop)

Play some death metal. I don't think you can sing over that. Growling makes a hell of a lot more sense than conventional vocals in some contexts.
After listening to so much Trivium, I can generally understand Matt's screaming, but when listening to a band I haven't know/haven't listened to in a long time, I find it difficult. Still doesn't stop me from enjoying it though.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)

+9999
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by webbtje
(sorry, I said I'd stop)

Play some death metal. I don't think you can sing over that. Growling makes a hell of a lot more sense than conventional vocals in some contexts.

Also, most metal is played in a lower register, which is hard to sing to in a conventional way, without sounding cheesy.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
In Flames are one of the few bands with abrasive vocals that are understandable.
After hearing the songs a few times, yes.
But with Arch enemy's new album it was more difficult, there was something strange with her voice.. it was like more powerfull
Still awsome though!
Quote by FuZzY(aus)

Who said music needs sense?
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by SuperswedeR
After hearing the songs a few times, yes.
But with Arch enemy's new album it was more difficult, there was something strange with her voice.. it was like more powerfull
Still awsome though!

Less studio trickery and double tracking. I agree, it suits her.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)

How so?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Depends on the vocalist. Like, I can understand what Gossow is singing, or Schuldiner, but I'd have no clue what Chris Barnes would be singing about unless I had a lyric book.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Xiaoxi
How so?

cause music has structure
screaming is just AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHAAAAA NAAAAAAAAHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
hmmmmmmmm i like the story he's telling there
screaming has no structure and music is built on structure
otherwise music would sound rather shocking
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
I can easily understand Mikael Akerfeldt, Chuck Schuldiner, Tommy Rogers (on occasion) and the guys from SikTh.
i can make out what they say its only bands like nile when hey do the really low growls that i can't understand, i just use common sense and instincts really.
Page 1 of 4