Why do all my chord progs sound flat

I can come up a bunch of chords that go well together - I strum them but nothing from doing this sounds like the foundations of a song - instead it sounds like Im strumming and that these chords have been used millions of times by millions of people before..How do I get something fresh sounding from it. I normally ended up picking/ or picking some of the chords but lately all those riffs sound samey too. This may have something to do with my metronome actually though
Try to use less used chords. I know 7 chords are not very exotic, but they are less common than the standard minor/major. sus chords are also really cool sounding, at least I think so, they give an interesting feel to a progression.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
Try to use less used chords. I know 7 chords are not very exotic, but they are less common than the standard minor/major. sus chords are also really cool sounding, at least I think so, they give an interesting feel to a progression.

Cool Advice - Thanks - anyone else?
1) Different rhythms to the strumming.
2) Use different cadences- Eg. Don't just go from the I to the 5 or vice versa all the time.
3) Use 7ths, 9ths and so on occasionally. Don't use them all the time as it will become repetative.
4) It's not the chords that make a song different but the other instrumentation aswell - what's your melody like? or your bassline?
Quote by EdawMail
1) Different rhythms to the strumming.
2) Use different cadences- Eg. Don't just go from the I to the 5 or vice versa all the time.
3) Use 7ths, 9ths and so on occasionally. Don't use them all the time as it will become repetative.
4) It's not the chords that make a song different but the other instrumentation aswell - what's your melody like? or your bassline?

Thanks - I struggle with rhythm really and think that may be the main problem. As for melody, historically, I generally just sing over my chord progression which is usually arpeggiated and find a melody within the progression that way. What other ways can I do this perhaps?
Read the rules, this thread either belongs in techniques or MT. This part of the forum is specifically for posting your own lyrics.

My guess is that you're better off reposting in MT because that's where the theory goes and they'll be able to give you some good answers in there.

*reported*