Page 1 of 2
Who reads 'em?

What's your favourite graphic novel?

What really is the difference between a graphic novel and a comic?

Discuss.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by CoreysMonster
people call their comics "graphic novels" to make them sound more sophisticated. that's it.

Thats what I've always though tbh. A graphic novel is just a gory comic book IMO.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Frank Miller is the only artist I buy. His Sin City series and Dark Knight Returns are brilliant. I was thinking of getting more Batman ones though, like The long Halloween and The Killing Joker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
I do it for teh lulz. srlsly

i crack up when I see those "BAM!" thingies
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Svennz
I do it for teh lulz. srlsly

i crack up when I see those "BAM!" thingies

Like THIS?

Quote by craggis19
Frank Miller is the only artist I buy. His Sin City series and Dark Knight Returns are brilliant. I was thinking of getting more Batman ones though, like The long Halloween and The Killing Joker.

I just bought two of those last night! Dark Knight Returns and Batman: The Killing Joke [Deluxe Edition] together for £11.95 from Amazon.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

yeah, those

especially the batman ones
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Like THIS?

I just bought two of those last night! Dark Knight Returns and Batman: The Killing Joke [Deluxe Edition] together for £11.95 from Amazon.

wank xD?

Quote by Fi-Fi
wank xD?

Yes.

WANK
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by [x]Huffy[x] at Jul 23, 2008,
man I hate all things DC. the only good character DC ever produced was Batman, but batman stuff ranges from ABSOLUTE HORRIBLE CRAP to ABSOLUTE AWESOME SEX. so its kind of a win/lose thing with batman

MARVEL, on the other hand, has ALL the awesome characters, a much better way of drawing and story telling, and of course, Stann Lee.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Thats what I've always though tbh. A graphic novel is just a gory comic book IMO.Read "Maus" and say that.
This made me lol.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by CoreysMonster
people call their comics "graphic novels" to make them sound more sophisticated. that's it.

They're called that because they are a lot longer than single issue comics, and also because they tend to have a novel-like structure.

That being said, heres my top 3:
1. V for Vendetta
2. the Crow
3. Batman: the Long Halloween

Quote by freedoms_stain
Read "Maus" and say that.

Meh, Maus is overrated, I mean I appreciate the significance of the subject matter, and thought it was a cool concept, but it just left something ti be desired, especially after hearing so many people rave about it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
They're called that because they are a lot longer than single issue comics, and also because they tend to have a novel-like structure.

That being said, heres my top 3:
1. V for Vendetta
2. the Crow
3. Batman: the Long Halloween

The Long Halloween? Really?

I'm shocked, I thought The Dark Knight Returns was better.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

I like to read the Ultimate X-Men Comics. After watching The Dark Knight though, I'll probably buy the comics it was based on.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Read Watchmen and try to say that there is no difference between a graphic novel and a comic. It is like comparing any of those Young Adult Tom Clancy books that were huge in the late nineties to Without Remorse.
Constantine.

Trust me.

The Denise Mina arc was cool, as is the Stations Of The Cross/Reasons To Be Cheerful/The Gift trilogy.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']The Long Halloween? Really?

I'm shocked, I thought The Dark Knight Returns was better.

Oh I really like that one, but I'm a really big fan of film noir type stuff, and film noir plotline+Batman= absolutely amazing, I really liked Dark Victory too.

Quote by akimbros
Read Watchmen and try to say that there is no difference between a graphic novel and a comic. It is like comparing any of those Young Adult Tom Clancy books that were huge in the late nineties to Without Remorse.

the Watchmen was originally put out as a normal sized comic, actually most graphic novels are originally published like that and then collected in graphic novel format. I think many people underestimate the quality of the writing and complexity of the plotlines in comics in general

Last.fm
Quote by metacarpi
Constantine.

Trust me.

The Denise Mina arc was cool, as is the Stations Of The Cross/Reasons To Be Cheerful/The Gift trilogy.

Cool, I'll check 'em out.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Oh I really like that one, but I'm a really big fan of film noir type stuff, and film noir plotline+Batman= absolutely amazing, I really liked Dark Victory too.

Have you read Batman: The killing Joke?

If not, you should.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

oo
i thought you ment graphic as in really descriptive
this one book a girl mate of mine had had these incredibly graphic sex scenes with a man called jondalar
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
oo
i thought you ment graphic as in really descriptive
this one book a girl mate of mine had had these incredibly graphic sex scenes with a man called jondalar

LOL WUT o_0
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Cool, I'll check 'em out.

Have you read Batman: The killing Joke?

If not, you should.

Yeah I'm a huge Alan Moore (From Hell, V for Vendetta, the Watchmen) fan, so of course I read it, good stuff, that's one of my favorite interpretations of the jokers character as well.

Last.fm
I always thought a graphic novel was like a really long comic, like one of those 2 inch thick ones that's like 12"x6" kinda things..
Feed your mind.
o i have to give a shout out about tin tin
ftw!
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
As far as I can tell, the main difference between comics and graphic novels are:

Comics:
  • Typically short.
  • Involve some form of comedy
  • Do not usually contribute to an overall story or theme

Graphic Novels:
  • Usually long (hence "novel")
  • May contain some form of comedy, but generally contains no more than an average novel.
  • Contribute to an overall story. A good example of this would be the Watchmen graphic novels.

Or to sum up;
comics = comedy
graphic novels = a story.
Quote by t_man700
As far as I can tell, the main difference between comics and graphic novels are:

Comics:
  • Typically short.
  • Involve some form of comedy
  • Do not usually contribute to an overall story or theme

Graphic Novels:
  • Usually long (hence "novel")
  • May contain some form of comedy, but generally contains no more than an average novel.
  • Contribute to an overall story. A good example of this would be the Watchmen graphic novels.

Or to sum up;
comics = comedy
graphic novels = a story.

Umm how many comic books do you read? A lot of them are very dark and have overall story arcs that span for years. This is most of the mainstream superhero comics, plus a lot of underground comics.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
of course I read it, good stuff, that's one of my favorite interpretations of the jokers character as well.

The Killing Joke was the main inspiration for Ledger's version of Joker in The Dark Knight too. As soon as he signed for the film he was given a copy to get into the mindset of the character.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

a graphic novel is a full length story told in pictures

a comic is ... well its a comic strip
isnt it kinda the equivalent of a short story?
To all the villianous insects who preach their slanderous, dupliciticious loathing; to each beautiful walking laceration who made me weep and bleed ... I hope you choke

ROCK ON DUDES
did you guys all spend your child hood with comics?
here in australia there not that big so i dont really know much about them
except for tin tin
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Quote by WyldeRaven
a graphic novel is a full length story told in pictures

a comic is ... well its a comic strip
isnt it kinda the equivalent of a short story?

Comic books nowadays tend to be more like serialized novels from literary magazines. comic strips are usually just little vignettes so you're right there.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Umm how many comic books do you read? A lot of them are very dark and have overall story arcs that span for years. This is most of the mainstream superhero comics, plus a lot of underground comics.

I've read TONS of comics. What I meant was, comics like Archie, Foxtrot, Calvin and Hobbes... those kinds of comics.

Comics like Batman, Spiderman, [insert noun here]man, etc... are better to be described as graphic novels.
The best graphic novels IMO are Hellsing and Kamikaze..the Hellsing OVA is much more graphic though
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
A friend of mine wrote/drew a graphic novel ... it was awful.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
I haven't ever REALLY been able to get into them, since I've never really had the money.

But, at the moment, I'm reading "The Watchmen" (yeah, so I'm reading it because of the movie. so what? at least I'm reading it), and that's the only "real" experience I have with them.

I used to read mangas a lot, but never bought/read enough to consider myself an "avid reader".

But, since I have a job now, and I'll have more money to spend, I'll more than likely look into buying/reading more. I know I can find a lot of graphic novels at Borders and Barnes and Noble, but I'll REALLY need to find a local comic shop fast, I think.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I used to read the DOnald Duck back when i found girls icky.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
I've always thought of a "comic" as just one little issue, but a "graphic novel" can be like an entire comic series in one book, or just a book on its own.

V For Vendetta and The Watchmen. Alan Moore FTW.
GEAR:
Crate V50 combo
Bad Monkey OD
Boss DS-1
Squier 20th Ann. Bullet (black on black, Gibson 500T pickup, Ping tuners)

Quote by crackereast
i'm going to call charmin and see if they will endorse me.
i use the **** out of there paper.
I'm gonna start working on my graphic novel sometime soon...
Its more like an anime/manga kinda thing though. But has got a pretty dark theme...
Quote by af_the_fragile
I'm gonna start working on my graphic novel sometime soon...
Its more like an anime/manga kinda thing though. But has got a pretty dark theme...

You mean like most popular graphic novels these days?

I have no problems with dark themes and whatnot, and they tend to make for better stories, but you have to admit they are EVERYWHERE. Literally.

Just once I want to see a comic/graphic novel be ENTIRELY about happy things, and only positives.

Guy 1: "I JUST WON THE LOTTERY!!!!"
Girl 1: "I'M HAVING A BABY!!!!"
Guy 2: "LIFE IS FANTASTIC! LET'S ALL GET ICE CREAM AND CUDDLE!!!!"
All: "YEAH!!!!!" *everyone jumps into the air excitedly*
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by CoreysMonster

A graphic novel is actually several comic books put together or in a series that is not a running comic book title.its like a mini series instead of a tv show.

My first graphic novel was "Coming Home" from the Amazing Spiderman,but my favorite is easily The Watchmen with V for Vendetta in a close second.
Last edited by DaysoftheBlue at Jul 23, 2008,
Page 1 of 2