I wanted to buy some from MusiciansFriend, but from some ebay stores they have them new for a bit less.

I am looking at a Seymour Duncan SH-8n Invader, and either a George Lynch SH-12, or a TB-12. havent decided on that last one.

Just wondering if anybody thinks it's a good/bad idea.
If you're stupid it's a bad idea. If not, go for it.
Signatures are overrated.
I'm just afraid they might give me some several year old pickups or something
and that would matter how?
I got one of my dimarzio pickups for $20 because the metal plate underneath the pup was dirty compared to the $75 they normally are.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Hm? I just checked ebay, and they're the same price new than on MF. Booo. Oh well, mf it is.

Quote by MrCarrot
...What amp d'you have?

Hm? At the moment, a Line 6 15w amp. I hate it. Right now my guitar is being repainted though and I have to wait weeks for the clearcoat to cure. By then, I'll have the new pups and hopefully I can score a deal on craigslist or something locally for a nice tube combo or something!
buy them used.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I would do it, actually I have done it, twice. Got a 498T and 490R as a pair, then just a few weeks ago got a 500T. They all work great.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
It's not pickups that's the issue. You want a new amp before new pickups. You'd be spending £100 to make next to no difference to your sound when used with that amp. Clichee advice? Maybe, but it's accurate. Trust me on this one.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^Agree'd.

If you use that money to get the best possible amp for what you play, your tone will benefit much more. Then eventually replace pickups.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by MrCarrot
It's not pickups that's the issue. You want a new amp before new pickups. You'd be spending £100 to make next to no difference to your sound when used with that amp. Clichee advice? Maybe, but it's accurate. Trust me on this one.

I have enough money to upgrade pickups AND enough for a new amp. After the pickups, I'm looking at $400 left to spend. If I had a choice though, yes, the amp would come first. I'm just waiting for a sweet deal, preferably locally. A friend of mine got a Mesa Boogie combo amp 112 for $350, i'm hoping I can swipe something nice soon.
^Still, I'd hold off on the pickups till you have your amp in hand. It leaves you more money to be more flexible about what amps you can buy. Plus, you may get the new amp in and decide you don't even need new pickups.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Still, I'd hold off on the pickups till you have your amp in hand. It leaves you more money to be more flexible about what amps you can buy. Plus, you may get the new amp in and decide you don't even need new pickups.

Well it doesn't really matter right now, because my only electric guitar is about to be repainted and i wont be able to play it for a month
Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1 to this.

You can't know what kind of pickups you need, until you get a good amp, and have your "ideal tone". Swapping pickups is for tweaking your tone. And you can't tweak your tone until you've gotten close to your ideal sound, and know what's lacking.

Plus....the Invader is pretty horrible.
+1 to the amp then pups idea.

I am stuck on a SS practice amp right now and I can hardly tell the difference between my pups.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by injected
I have enough money to upgrade pickups AND enough for a new amp. After the pickups, I'm looking at $400 left to spend. If I had a choice though, yes, the amp would come first. I'm just waiting for a sweet deal, preferably locally. A friend of mine got a Mesa Boogie combo amp 112 for $350, i'm hoping I can swipe something nice soon.

What do you mean by "If I had a choice"? You HAVE a choice. Pickups won't be an issue til you get another amp & play around with it for a while. New pickups don't magically alter your sound, but just makes it respond slightly differently. Do the right thing, man. Spend the whole wad on an amp!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I tested this guitar on both an ENGL Powerball halfstack, and a Peavey JSX halfstack. I didn't like either. the amp made it sound OK, but it was lacking so much.. I havent' tried the invader, only the George lynch pickup. It was on an RG guitar like mine, but a few series up. It sounded so much different and fuller.

I'm not buying the pickups on impulse.. ive actually done research and experimented a couple times at guitar center mainly. That's why i wanted to get them :S

I'm getting the Invader though because Anchang uses them.
Quote by injected
I tested this guitar on both an ENGL Powerball halfstack, and a Peavey JSX halfstack. I didn't like either. the amp made it sound OK, but it was lacking so much.. I havent' tried the invader, only the George lynch pickup. It was on an RG guitar like mine, but a few series up. It sounded so much different and fuller.

I'm not buying the pickups on impulse.. ive actually done research and experimented a couple times at guitar center mainly. That's why i wanted to get them :S

I'm getting the Invader though because Anchang uses them.

That's not really "research"...arguably that's the exact opposite of research.

I bought some Duncans from an ebay shop called banjomikez...nice and cheap and great service.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you have an RG, now I understand why you really want new pickups. I'd personally get a good amp first still, but that's just me. One of my guitars is an RG, & while it plays well, the pickups are a bit on the weak side, just meh. It sounds OK through any of my amps, but could be better. I'm very surprised it didn't sound decent enough for you through the Engl!
If you buy on ebay, just buy from sellers with lots of positive feedback. You should be able to find something you like for pretty cheap if you have a month to wait & can be patient. I bought 3 expensive amps on ebay with no problems at all. Just check the seller's feedback!! Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

The Invader pickups are included in ESP Japan's anchang signature model.. i wouldn't think they were bad. I posted another thread on another forum and ~2 people told me they loved the invader.. one person owned one.

Here's the link if you're curious.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/anchang/index.html

I'm very surprised it didn't sound decent enough for you through the Engl!

Oh yeah definitely the Engl brought out some crazy tone. I tried it in regular E but I brought it down to Drop A# and it was just a beast. It did sound a little muddy and unshapely though, like it was lacking something. Don't know what.

So you guys can get an idea of the crapfest pickups I have:

WTS ibanez Inf 3 and 4 price reduced, Taken out from a Ibanez RG350dx. Selling for $25 for both. Its still new!
Last edited by injected at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Lots of guitar makes ship sub-par pickups in their models.

Just because they're stock in there doesn't mean they're good.

I dunno, make your own decisions, I guess. I think they're muddy, and would prefer to hear all the notes my guitar makes.

Hmm. I guess I will find out soon enough then

I think it would be weird if a top tier, reputable company like ESP would include subpar components in their guitars .. But then again it was custom tailored to Koji Ando's specs he wanted..
^Buying gear because it's what you consider a good brand or because it's endorsed by your favorite guitarist is dangerous business.

EDIT: What I'm getting at is it needs to pass the ear test before you jump on it for those reasons.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Well I know for a fact he uses it exclusively and it sounds completely amazing..

But then again, he has a $5000+ Hughes and Kettner setup, plus all his rack effects >___>
^Now you're onto something. They won't sound the same with whatever amp you end up with. Which is why it's smart to buy the amp first.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Believe me though, I am looking for an amp, just haven't found the right one. I keep scanning craigslist daily hoping to find a good deal.. but my town sucks
Quote by injected
Believe me though, I am looking for an amp, just haven't found the right one. I keep scanning craigslist daily hoping to find a good deal.. but my town sucks

Don't be afraid to buy amps on ebay. There's lots of music stores all over the US that sell new & used amps on ebay, & they won't risk their reputations selling shoddy gear (again-CHECK FEEDBACK!). I've bought 3 amps on ebay, & 2 of them were around $2500 each, but I bought confidently knowing they were actual stores with tons of positive feedback. I also called them on the phone to speak to them before bidding to ask other questions about the amps. No problems at all if you're careful who you deal with. You'll find a lot better selection to choose from on ebay than craigslist.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard