Here you can discuss about how you practise and ask others how they practise.

Ermm... Just to start us of. How do you practice?

Heres what i do.

Sit down and play a bunch of songs, scales or excersizes and find out what i am doing wrong and all the stuff i need to improve on.
Is my timing a little of? I sit down with a drum machine until i can get perfect timing.
Do i keep missing a certain note in the middle of a solo? Heres how i fix that.

First i play through the solo slowly. About half time. do this a few times.
Then play through normal speed all the way through. Dont stop for that one note and imagine yourself in a gig situation.

If i still mess up i just repeat that a few times until i get it (Remember to take breaks and play something else or you will get bored of it)

Also i have a list of songs i want to learn and i commit myself to learn on of them a week and then tape the list to my amp.

PS: What is the correct way to spell practise (In this situation)

Practise or practice?
Quote by Final !mpact
Here you can discuss about how you practise and ask others how they practise.

Ermm... Just to start us of. How do you practice?

Heres what i do.

Sit down and play a bunch of songs, scales or excersizes and find out what i am doing wrong and all the stuff i need to improve on.
Is my timing a little of? I sit down with a drum machine until i can get perfect timing.
Do i keep missing a certain note in the middle of a solo? Heres how i fix that.

First i play through the solo slowly. About half time. do this a few times.
Then play through normal speed all the way through. Dont stop for that one note and imagine yourself in a gig situation.

If i still mess up i just repeat that a few times until i get it (Remember to take breaks and play something else or you will get bored of it)

Also i have a list of songs i want to learn and i commit myself to learn on of them a week and then tape the list to my amp.

PS: What is the correct way to spell practise (In this situation)

Practise or practice?

It doesn't matter what situation you're in, the word is always spelled "practice".
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Practice.

lol +1
but seriously TS, im just busting your balls here
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Sound Mind
It doesn't matter what situation you're in, the word is always spelled "practice".

I wasnt sure because my sepll checker says both practise and practice were still correct.
I've gotten into a few bad habits.

For starters my computer/bedroom is upstairs and all the amp gear is downstairs, so i'm pretty much playing unplugged for the most part. Sometimes i'd think that i have a part down, then i plug in and it's alot messier than i thought.

I neglect the standing up part of playing. Probably because i'm too used to running all my exercises sitting down in front of the computer. Trying to rectify this problem at the moment.

Asides from that i'm only starting to get back into guitar these holidays due to all this free time. When uni semester begins i could sometimes go for weeks at a time without playing

edit: practice is the noun, practise is the verb...at least that's how it is in UK/Aussie english

e.g. "I'm going to practise playing guitar"
vs
"I'm going to have a guitar practice session"
Last edited by goony at Jul 23, 2008,
Yea, he brings a good tip. Practice plugged in whenever possible, and what ever you do NEVER practice sweeps unplugged, it only will kill your technique. Similarly, I do not look forward to the upcoming school year, not only because of time constraints, but I cant really play loud in a dorm.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Sound Mind

Wrong

Practice is a noun, practise is a verb.

It's spelt with the S in this case
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by sacamano79
Yea, he brings a good tip. Practice plugged in whenever possible, and what ever you do NEVER practice sweeps unplugged, it only will kill your technique. Similarly, I do not look forward to the upcoming school year, not only because of time constraints, but I cant really play loud in a dorm.

I feel your pain. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a Mesa Express so I can have that 5w option.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by sacamano79
Practice plugged in whenever possible, and what ever you do NEVER practice sweeps unplugged, it only will kill your technique.

what? and why? I do practise sweeps unplugged cause that way I think I have to do it perfectly to get some sound, I do my practice sessions unplugged or with 0 distortion and I use distortion when I play "for fun".
Quote by Gacel
what? and why? I do practise sweeps unplugged cause that way I think I have to do it perfectly to get some sound, I do my practice sessions unplugged or with 0 distortion and I use distortion when I play "for fun".

Playing unplugged doesn't give you the opportunity to hear the little mistakes you make. Practicing unplugged =/= practicing clean.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by Gacel

When practicing sweeping, the idea is to not let the notes ring together. You'll be able to hear them ringing together better if you have distortion on, so you know when you need to correct something. You don't have to always practice with distortion on though, but you do need to listen properly to what you're practicing.
I just started trying to learn sweep picking, I'm glad I read this thread early on. Cheers for the tip guys!

Right now, my "practice" consists of going through all the scales I know with a metronome, slowly increasing the speed until I hit my peak and get frustrated. Then I'll feel warmed up enough to attempt a hard track - fail miserably at it - then I'll go back to my scales or give up.
Quote by MeltedMetal
I just started trying to learn sweep picking, I'm glad I read this thread early on. Cheers for the tip guys!

Right now, my "practice" consists of going through all the scales I know with a metronome, slowly increasing the speed until I hit my peak and get frustrated. Then I'll feel warmed up enough to attempt a hard track - fail miserably at it - then I'll go back to my scales or give up.

hehe, i think you shouldnt practice ONLY scales with the metronome, try to practice some legato or tapping licks with it aswell.

me for example, Ive recently discovered that I had no idea about how to do a pull-off properly and I'm practising some pull-off licks at ridiculously slow speed atm

here you'll find tons of licks to practise with a metronome

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/Licks/Licks.htm

by the way, someone knows of any good video to watch someone playing something like "A: -7p0-"??? im not sure about how to do it, I hit the D string many times trying to make the open note ring.
Here's my practice advice: If you're practicing scales or technique and using a
metronome, set the metronome for a moderate pace (~80 BPM) and just leave it
there. Work on making your notes count. If you want to change speeds vary
your beat subdivisions 8th notes, triplets, 16ths, .... Get out of the habit of
trying to "beat the metronome".

As far as never sweeping practice unplugged... That's silly. It certainly can never
hurt to do that, and not everyone drenches thier tone in overdriven distortion...
I just found out an old keyboard I have will play chords with the drum loops. I can put it in a key and it will play indefinitely... great for soloing practice. I guess its just playing the chord of the key I put it in the whole time? Not really sure. Either way it makes learning scales easy because your actually playing them in time and in key.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I really only practice with the band, if i'm just playing its just working on writting new songs, or making the old ones better.
I just decided on this today but here is my schedule

Warmups-mostly speed mechanics 1-5 from Troy Stetina's speed mechanics for lead gtr
(warmup times vary depending on how good everything sounds on the given day)
then...
I practice alternate picking for 30 mins
legato for 30 mins
finger independance combined with slow sweeps for 15-20 mins
(cause my 3rd and 4th independance isnt so great)
then 3 string sweeps for 30 mins
(major and minor shapes and diminished shapes)

Im thinking of varying my alternate picking to everyother day I do string skipping instead of straight up and down scales and such

anyone think I should do anythingelse,all criticism and advice is welcome,I think its a pretty good plan ,but what do you al think?