So I'm in a relatively new band and we have had a few practises together. One thing I realised in my latest practise is that our drummer seems to do some really wierd stuff.

When playing a song his whole body goes really stiff and rigid and he kind of only drums with his forearms. He also tilts his head to the side and like really stares at his drums.

The thing I don't understand here is that is this just bad posture? is it that he's not actually enjoying it? or is it that it is a struggle for him to play the songs we play?

I'm not trying to be mean here but I would just like some opinions because then I can maybe help him to either have better posture/enjoy playing/play easier songs.

By the way I don't want any "chuck him out of the band" type stuff because he actually is a very good drummer. Cheers!
ahahahahaaha I jammed with a drummer like that, when he had to do little blast gallops he looked like a 'tard, even held his tongue under his lip and was completely spazing out, sounded like **** too lol.
it's bad technique man.
every drummer plays differently just in the same way that every guitarist plays slightly differently
if thats the best way he finds to play drums then it must just be something he is comfortable with i guess
Maybe he's just getting used to playing in a band. When I started in my band, none of us really moved much but once you get into it you loosen up a bit.
No He is actually playing very well its just it looks very strange to watch lol. I think it must be bad technique like Gainjinfoot said.
Don't worry about it, my drummer is often slouched against he back wall while playing but plays fine
It's better as well if your drummer looks totally deranged, or people will think 'hey he looks kinda sane, he can't be a real drummer'
ohai little sig.
So... He's playing well, but you think it's bad technique... Bad technique that makes him play well... Like Hendrix... So, just don't look at him?
REM's drummer looks like that, the stiff, only using forearms look, and with a MEAN unibrow to boot, and they are one of my fav bands. it's all about if he can play the stuff and if you like the guy as a person. eventually he may loosen up, especially on the really fun songs, but maybe not. its just his style. and its ok to rib him about it. make sure he knows you arent making fun of him, but you can definitely joke him and he may loosen up a bit. maybe not. then it could turn into a running joke.

and to be honest, that stiff posture is actually very CORRECT, in the classical sense, as it is what they would teach at a proffessional drum school i assume. like the old jazz and swing drummers. check out max weinberg (e street band, conan obrien show) sometime.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by doubleG
Maybe he's just getting used to playing in a band. When I started in my band, none of us really moved much but once you get into it you loosen up a bit.

+1
as long as you think he plays fine, and he's a nice guy the rest of the band can get along with, it should be ok. maybe he's just a bit tense and trying hard not to let the band down or something, it happens. just crack jokes with him, encourage him, help him to loosen up a bit.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

My drummer usually gets very in to his drumming, only looking up every 20-30 seconds. It's fun to get real close to him and stare really awkwardly so when he looks up he freaks out. Got myself hit with a stick one time though, not fun.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
The forearms thing is actualy good technique, he'll be playing from the wrist instead of the shoulder, which gets you just as much volume out of a drum but with less effort, think of it as him being efficient with his energy.
The head tilting is something that is shared with many drummers and I've played with a few drummers that do it. I think it's something to do with listening to the bass beat, you tilt your head sideways so your ear is pointing down directly at the bass drum's foot pedal.
it aint a bad thing, but people might think he's retarded. better tell him what he looks like, so if he doesnt know and doesnt like it, he can clear it up.
It's better as well if your drummer looks totally deranged, or people will think 'hey he looks kinda sane, he can't be a real drummer'

i loled at that one
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan