Is the future of the guitar on the computer?

Will amps be replaced with PC Speakers and will effects be created with PC programs and will recording be done only on the PC??
I'm gonna say no.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by pluckypigeon

Will amps be replaced with PC Speakers and will effects be created with PC programs and will recording be done only on the PC??

I think computers will be use for effects and looping more and more... but no, PC speaker will never replace guitar amps, guitar amps are designed to handle the frequencies a guitar puts out, and to make them sound good, PC speakers (and general speakers) are designed for a range of sounds, emphasising none.

Also, it'll be a long time before we can replicated the warmth of a valve overdrive digitally
It's a good question really. I use amplitube Metal hosted by looping software and really I don't need an amp. but the difference between guitar music and rap or snyth based music is that guitarist will always want to tour, and as long as there is touring there is real music.
Im not sure this is the right section for a question in that context.

Although I dont think valves will ever be replaced by a computer, computers may come close, but elitists will always choose the real thing.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
no way. guitar is all about analog for me. the subtle changes in tone and feel when you rotate the amp knobs, turn on a pedal, or strum a chord. the digital world will support the guitar, but not replace the real guitarist. we have digital drummers, but a digital guitarist in a band will be a sad day for us all
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Actually you can use PC speakers as an amp. For fun one day I tried it out on an old pair of speakers. It had a very clean sound. haha
They said tubes were dead when SS came out. They said analog was dead when digital effects came out. Lets see bill gates did real well with the red ring of death on Xboxes, hate to see the guitar amps he would make. Hmmm bill gates and marshall together oh wait they already did that its called the MG series.
Quote by GaijinFoot
but the difference between guitar music and rap or snyth based music is that guitarist will always want to tour, and as long as there is touring there is real music.

1) There is no "real" music. Music is noise, plain and simple. Some types of music are more noisy than others, but when it comes to the nitty gritty it's all just noise.

ii) Many, many rappers and hiphop acts take an actual band touring with them. And let's not forget the Anthrax/Public Enemy collaboration.

C) Live performance isn't made obsolete by computers... a lot of electronic groups and artists tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTutlX4Mzw Venetian Snares
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLVKDH5SmQ Blaerg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP0frfl7Fe4 Aphex Twin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFOioskN3pI Skinny Puppy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jPeG1LlaQ Shpongle

Computers and digital technology aren't there to replace anything, they're there to be another tool to help you get the sounds in your head out. Plus, think of how much easier it is now to record music thanks to digital sound technology.
The answer is to a certain degree, but guitarists will most likely stick to the real thing because of the fact that they are professional equipment designed for guitars, thus creating better sound. Plus it will be very hard to emulate the sound of tubes on a computer.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Tackleberry
They said tubes were dead when SS came out. They said analog was dead when digital effects came out. Lets see bill gates did real well with the red ring of death on Xboxes, hate to see the guitar amps he would make. Hmmm bill gates and marshall together oh wait they already did that its called the MG series.

Wow someone apparently fails to see beyond what they are told by other people. I do believe that computers will replace amps when it comes to recording with new waves of bands. It will eventually become cheaper to buy the software with amp models than go out any buy the actual amp. Peaveys ReValver MKIII is pretty good software, and I've only tried the demo. Computers will be able to replace tubes, because we will be able to program something to overload tubes in the way that they do. It can be modeled by a mathematical formula, and as such can be programmed. Amps will probably still be used on stage, and certain amps will most likely be a bit more difficult to model because of their interesting circuit designs.
Can someone explain to me why this is in the GEAR BUILDING AND CUSTOMIZING FORUM?

Who posted this? You need a warning.

*reported*.

No that this isn't a good discussion, but put it where it belongs.

Could a kind admin please move this?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^
chill, dude. it's a misplaced thread. a warning would be overkill.

but it does need to be moved to GG&A.

Quote by pluckypigeon
not really.

Quote by pluckypigeon
Will amps be replaced with PC Speakers
lol, no.

Quote by pluckypigeon
and will effects be created with PC programs
there's plenty of that happening right now.

Quote by pluckypigeon
and will recording be done only on the PC??
there will never be anything only done one way.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 27, 2008,
Ok yeah not a warning I was wrong, but it shouldbe moved. Not sure how to ask an admin to do that so I reported it. I over reacted sorry
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.