So, after months of playing chords and a few scales, I decided I should learn to play solos.

How did you go with this? Did you jump right to playing songs, or did you exercise your fingers?
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
Get some songs with some easy solos, and learn them. Take the techniques from them and use them into your solos/improvisations.

That's why I sound like Rory Gallagher mixed with Brian Robertson.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Any recommendable songs?
Keeping in mind I'm really bad.
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
Try and slow the solos down as well. Play with a metronome and gradually build up the speed. Also try and jam the scales you have learned in different ways and in different positions. The scales are the backbone of lead playing and if you have that, you are well on your way to becoming an adept soloist.
californication by red hot chili peppers
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
dude, i would get out a metronome and go over minor pentatonic and diatonic scales up and down the neckboard over and over. thats how I got better and faster fingers. I'm not as good as i could be because I have slacked in the last little while from practicing it but I am able to play a lot of solos, so I'd start on the scales slow and work them out and get faster and faster. that's how you learn to solo.
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
also, Metallica's Nothing Else Matters solo is done by James Hetfield (NOT their lead guitar player) which makes it a little easier to tackle than any of Hammet's solos
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Emergency by Paramores pretty good for learning solo
its a really bad solo,but its good for learning
its pretty slow as well
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
Great, thanks for the advice.
One question, though.
Should I be alternate picking the scales? I've never really been doing that.
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
Quote by MrMicrowave
One question, though.

Oh yes.
Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
Quote by MrMicrowave
One question, though.

yeah
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc/speed_exercise_tab.htm

this helped me as a good picking practice .... i should probably start using it again to be honest.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
my first solo was the iron man solo.
It wasnt too hard, try that.

Im sure there are easier though.
Iron was actually a pretty easy song in general to learn, its just a lot of power chords.
Quote by CrackerJack465
my first solo was the iron man solo.
It wasnt too hard, try that.

Im sure there are easier though.
Iron was actually a pretty easy song in general to learn, its just a lot of power chords.

My first solo too. I'd definitely recommend it.
Get some backing tracks (www.guitarbt.com), and improvise in scales over the music.

It's helped me heaps, but make sure you practice on a variety of genres (jazz, metal, rock etc).

EDIT: Oooh, I see what you mean.

www.shredacademy.com is a good site. It has very advanced lessons, however you don't need to play them anywhere near as fast as they do; it will improve your speed tremendously over a period of time.
Quote by riffer_raffer
also, Metallica's Nothing Else Matters solo is done by James Hetfield (NOT their lead guitar player) which makes it a little easier to tackle than any of Hammet's solos

Yeah, Hetfields solo's are easier than Kirk's because Kirk is the lead guitarist.
Signatures are overrated.
Californication.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
zephyr song solo is very easy, the first one I learned ..
RHCP solos are not to hard. Thats prob a good place to start.

Deff try the ironman solo though. Its a little fast at first but a metrenome helps.
The first solo I learned was Bohemian Rhapsody solo, that was a good one to start of with. Then I did Texas Flood.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
My first was Sweet Child O mine. I think its good for beginners for 2 reasons.

1. There are 2 interludes before the solos. These are very easy to play and are recognizable, so you will be motivated.

2. The interludes obviously use the pentatonic scale, so going from scale to the interludes isnt all that hard.