I have a Peavy Valve King

My Budget I have 100 bucks

I typically play more Punk stuff: Older Green Day , Paramore ( when I am jamming with my family) Blink 182, The Spill Canvas ( not typicall punk but well they are just catchy) . i cant really put myself into a category because Ill play anything from blues to metal. I just usually dip into this genre I guess.

I was looking at the Ibanez Tube Screamer , What do you guys think ???
yeah the tubescreamer is an ace pedal if you know what your doing with it
Lukey..... like to control the settings on it??

I know there are three versions of the tubescreamer. which one should i get/??
Quote by mselamaj
Lukey..... like to control the settings on it??

I know there are three versions of the tubescreamer. which one should i get/??

Well you cant rely on a Tubescreamer for masses of overdrive, however, if you use your amp for gain and your pedal to add a bit of gain and some nice tone, it will make your sound a lot tighter, and IMO a lot nicer.

Also, id recommend the Maxon OD-9 pedal instead of the Ibanez as they used to make the pedals for Ibanez to sell and they use the classic circuitry which gave the Tubescremer such a good name, and the Ibanez TS now uses less quality circuitry.

Also look at the Maxon OD-808 alongside the Ibanez TS-808 for a comparisson there
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Jul 23, 2008,
so I have the Digitech Bad Monkey, Maxon Od 9, and Ibanez Tube Screamer

I just want a good od sound so I can keep switching from clean to distortion/overdrive at the stomp of my foot. Instead of pressing the button on my peavy to change. soo Thats why I keep asking, because u guys would know best.
well my 2 cents is only that the Tubescreamer versions are better but also more costly. The Bad Mondey is 'good' copy of the Tubescreamer, and is only $50. With that savings, you could invest in a EQ pedal - which I hear will also drastically improve the sound of the VK. It is in my GAS fund now.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Well you cant rely on a Tubescreamer for masses of overdrive, however, if you use your amp for gain and your pedal to add a bit of gain and some nice tone, it will make your sound a lot tighter, and IMO a lot nicer.

Also, id recommend the Maxon OD-9 pedal instead of the Ibanez as they used to make the pedals for Ibanez to sell and they use the classic circuitry which gave the Tubescremer such a good name, and the Ibanez TS now uses less quality circuitry.

Also look at the Maxon OD-808 alongside the Ibanez TS-808 for a comparisson there

what he said lol
Quote by mselamaj
an eq pedal?? hmmm like a noise supressor ? ?

no, an EQ pedal is like an extension of the treble, middle and bass controls on your amp (your basic 3-band EQ basically), except it has more parameters to allow more precise tone-shaping. most EQ pedals will be 7 or 10 band graphic EQs (basically they have all the faders for the different frequencies in line so you can see the frequency curve you've set it to)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
sso it just extends the amp's mids, treble, bass, I never really messed with an equalizer pedal before. so i am kind of lost?? I am just use to the amp eq's and thats it. would it help the bad monkey out with the eq. can someone explain that more
Quote by mselamaj
sso it just extends the amp's mids, treble, bass, I never really messed with an equalizer pedal before. so i am kind of lost?? I am just use to the amp eq's and thats it. would it help the bad monkey out with the eq. can someone explain that more

Bad monkey is just going to be a gain/level boost to push the amp a little harder. Then you would stick the EQ pedal in the effects loop for tone shaping. It can add or even remove unwanted freq's. So example if there is a harsh fizzy tone at 2k you can lower it down but if you need more low end you can raise that up. An on board eq on the amp can only cut not add.....
An EQ is not going to help an Overdrive pedal just like an Overdrive pedal is not going to help an EQ. They work completely seperate but each helps the amp in different ways.

There is enough tweakability on the Valveking as it is and takes time to get everything adjusted right. So my vote is get the OD now because it really helps clean up the muddiness of this amp. Then get an EQ and tweak from there.

To further that and help answer your question, the Valveking struggles in certain sound frequencies due to poor speaker probably so an EQ can help dial some of those poor frequencies out.

You can also read thru The Only Valveking thread which I think is on Page 2 or join the VK users group and ask there as well. See my bottom of my sig.

Ha Ha - what Psycho said^
Quote by mselamaj

well yeah basically, its the same sorta thing as the amp eq just a little more in depth , its hard to explain lol. Wikipedia says

An equalizer adjusts the frequency response in a number of different frequency bands. A graphic equalizer (or "graphic EQ") provides slider controls for a number of frequency region. Each of these bands has a fixed width (Q) and a fixed center-frequency, and as such, the slider changes only the level of the frequency band. The tone controls on guitars, guitar amps, and most pedals are similarly fixed-Q and fixed-frequency, but unlike a graphic EQ, rotary controls are used rather than sliders.

hope that helps
thanks guys, I am going to get the bad monkey save money and then work on a eq pedal
Quote by mselamaj
so the maxon over the ibanez??/

Definately. Nothing wrong with an Ibanez but the Maxon really has the edge.

Also, if possible, id really recommend you try a tubescreamer alongside the Bad Monkey. With the bad monkey you get your moneys worth, but i found it never sounded as great as the Tubescreamer. Try them all out and see what you think works for you best.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe