I am looking for a new bedroom amp. My friend has a Roland Cube and is very satisfied with it. It caught my eye because it has lots of effects and metal settings. I will mainly be using it for metal and Guns N' Roses kind of stuff. This is the one I checked out:

Roland Cube 20X

I am curious as to anyone's past experiences with this amp, pros and cons, if it would work for me, or if I should get something else. Also, can anyone tell me more about the Power Squeezer (how it works, what it does to the sound). Any input helps.
It's a really good small and versatile amp, that's all I can tell you.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
The power squeezer function helps to get a fuller sound when your playing at low volumes. Basically it makes your tone sound just as good as it does when its at a louder volume i.e it gives you the same sustain and gain.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
get the 30, or if you can't stretch to it, get the microcube. the 15x and 20x don't have the amp models, which is pretty much the sole reason why the cube is so recommended.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
The power squeezer function helps to get a fuller sound when your playing at low volumes. Basically it makes your tone sound just as good as it does when its at a louder volume i.e it gives you the same sustain and gain.

That's awesome. Hows the Vox AD30VT (since you have the 50)?
Yeah, listen to Dave_MC, the 15 and 20 aren't good. If you can't get enough money for the 30, just get the microcube, because the 15 and 20 don't have the COSM modelling in them, which makes it a good amp. So, for the cube's reputation.... the 15 and 20 watters just don't live up to it. Just save up for a 30, or just get the microcube.
O O

___
^ i guess you might as well try the vox too, but i preferred the cube for metal. There's a new high gain vox valvetronix modeller out too (XL, i think), would be worth a try, but i haven't tried it.

Quote by TheBax
Yeah, listen to Dave_MC, the 15 and 20 aren't good. If you can't get enough money for the 30, just get the microcube, because the 15 and 20 don't have the COSM modelling in them, which makes it a good amp. So, for the cube's reputation.... the 15 and 20 watters just don't live up to it. Just save up for a 30, or just get the microcube.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would say the micro cube, the 30x and the 60 are the better cubes. I liked the 60 best of all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i guess you might as well try the vox too, but i preferred the cube for metal. There's a new high gain vox valvetronix modeller out too (XL, i think), would be worth a try, but i haven't tried it.

i heard the XL's were terrible. i think he would be better off with the Vox, it's more suitable for the stuff he wants to play.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
The Microcube is excellent as a bedroom amp and for recording stuff. The only downside is the one channel it only has, so switching from clean to lead in a middle of a song, can be very uncomfortable.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by ugmung
i heard the XL's were terrible. i think he would be better off with the Vox, it's more suitable for the stuff he wants to play.

i've heard a variety of things... i'd need to try one to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ht ecube 15x and 20x are good amps the power squeezer reduces the power to 2 watts so you can crank up the volume,20x does have cosm and the amp is good for matal blues etc read the reviews section for more info
it doesn't have anywhere near the number of amp models as the 30.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yesterday I ordered the 20x and it's currently sat behind me at work.
So I can't wait to get home and give it a blast.

I read reviews of the amp before I took the plunge and it was a toss up between the Roland and the Vox. There wasn't much between them but decided on the Roland.

I also heard the 20x was better than the 30x with regards to the sound being less muddy and a bit more defined.

And the 20x does have the in-built COSM
Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
Cube 20x

Frome that link: "TYPE Switch (ACOUSTIC, OVERDRIVE, DISTORTION, METAL, METAL STACK, TUBE DRIVE), "

cube 30x

From that link: TYPE Switch (ACOUSTIC, BLACK PANEL, BRIT COMBO, TWEED, CLASSIC STACK, METAL STACK, R-FIER STACK, DYNA AMP)

i couldn't give a rat's ass if the 20x claims to have COSM. It doesn't have the vast majority of those amp models, which are what makes it a nice amp in the first place. R-Fier stack is the one which most modern metalheads will want for heavier music. Jeez.

P.S. This is not a dig at your amp, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm just sick of people saying that the 20x has amp models when it has, like, one (metal stack). the 30 is clearly superior. overdrive, distortion and metal are stompbox models, as far as i'm aware, and i've tried them on the 15, and they just plain aren't very good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mudfrog
And the 20x does have the in-built COSM

hmm... my bad.

Did they just start doing this, or did i just never know?

EDIT: ^ Woot! Go Dave! lol.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Jul 24, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Cube 20x

Frome that link: "TYPE Switch (ACOUSTIC, OVERDRIVE, DISTORTION, METAL, METAL STACK, TUBE DRIVE), "

cube 30x

From that link: TYPE Switch (ACOUSTIC, BLACK PANEL, BRIT COMBO, TWEED, CLASSIC STACK, METAL STACK, R-FIER STACK, DYNA AMP)

i couldn't give a rat's ass if the 20x claims to have COSM. It doesn't have the vast majority of those amp models, which are what makes it a nice amp in the first place. R-Fier stack is the one which most modern metalheads will want for heavier music. Jeez.

P.S. This is not a dig at your amp, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm just sick of people saying that the 20x has amp models when it has, like, one (metal stack). the 30 is clearly superior. overdrive, distortion and metal are stompbox models, as far as i'm aware, and i've tried them on the 15, and they just plain aren't very good.

Ok, listen to this man

I couldn't give a rats ass that you don't give a rats that it has the COSM or not. It wasn't for your information anyway

But yeah I see what your saying it has all the amp models and everything so yeah if you really want them all then go for it. Why not stop at the 30x and get the 60x.
But then why stop there. Go and get an all tube amp and get a pedal board with loads of effects.

Pay your money and take your choice.
Gear:
- Schecter C1 in white
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
stop being facetious, it's not becoming. i'm not suggesting he blow a large amount of extra cash, i'm suggesting he spend a small amount more to get something which is much better. the cube 30 is only slightly more expensive than the 20. and if you can't afford the 20, you could get the micro which also has the amp models.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
stop being facetious, it's not becoming. i'm not suggesting he blow a large amount of extra cash, i'm suggesting he spend a small amount more to get something which is much better. the cube 30 is only slightly more expensive than the 20. and if you can't afford the 20, you could get the micro which also has the amp models.

Yeah it's a habbit of mine

I was just going from reviews I've heard when people have compared the sound/tone of the cube 20 to the 30. Not just the amount of amp models they both have.

I was in the same situation and after reading lots about each model decided on the cube 20.
Gear:
- Schecter C1 in white
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've tried all the cubes at various times and the 60 was the one I bought.