Page 1 of 3
DEAN ZELINSKY: I Can No Longer Attach My Name To Quality And Direction Of DEAN GUITARS - July 22, 2008

Dean Zelinsky, founder of Dean Guitars, officially announced today that he has parted ways with the company that he founded in 1976, which still bears his name. (As first reported by BLABBERMOUTH.NET on May 8.)

Having sold Dean Guitars in 1991, Zelinsky played an integral part in the brand's recent resurgence in popularity, effectively putting Dean Guitars back in the limelight after becoming re-affiliated with the company in 2000, during the tenure of its recent owners.

Zelinsky, discussing his not yet announced new venture, stated today, "I wanted to get back to what put Dean on the map originally — building high-quality instruments that shape both the image and tone of guitar players, from the beginner to world-class professionals." Regarding Dean Guitars, Zelinsky says, "I can no longer attach my name to the reputation, quality and direction of Dean Guitars or its current objectives."

Zelinsky stated the announcement with details of his new venture will be released on Tuesday, August 26, 2008.

Ohio.com reported in early May that the University of Arkansas had gained licensing control over Dean's Razorback electric guitars, commemorating late PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott who was killed during a show in Columbus, Ohio.

Dean Guitars created the line and began selling the guitars after the 2004 death of Abbott. He was known for performing with a razor blade around his neck.

In 2007, the university sued, claiming the Razorback guitar brand infringed on the school's copyright. The Arkansas athletic teams bear the Razorback name.

A settlement filed on May 6, 2008 gave the university licensing control over the guitars, but Dean gets to keep selling them.

-Blabbermouth http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=101415
-------

That is pretty telling imo. He didn't like the instruments or the company's mindset, so he didn't want to be affiliated. Can you blame him?
I personally don't like the shapes of Deans but sorta odd that he's leaving cuz he doesn't like em.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
The thing is, a few companies - Dean, BC Rich and Schecter - made really great guitars at one time and now they make low end guitars which end up making quick profits but killing the brand name.

There was a time when BC Rich guitars were expensive and Townsend and Knopfler played guitars built from Schecter parts. Can you see Mark Knopfler with a Schecter these days?

Same thing with Dean. I had the Cadillac back in the day and it was a great guitar - nothing like what they make now.

Tokai is the same as well. I had a used Tokai back in 87. It was really nice. They have a good rep now but anyone who had an old one will tell you they ain't what they used to be.

To the folks that never played the older models from these companies, I don't expect you to understand.
deans have always been badly made guitars. it was also a bit untasteful how they coined it off Dimebags death.
Quote by tuwyci
deans have always been badly made guitars. it was also a bit untasteful how they coined it off Dimebags death.

Not true. The 70's/80's models were very good.

All of the recent stuff has been mass marketed imported crap
Quote by SenorSmiley
The thing is, a few companies - Dean, BC Rich and Schecter - made really great guitars at one time and now they make low end guitars which end up making quick profits but killing the brand name.

There was a time when BC Rich guitars were expensive and Townsend and Knopfler played guitars built from Schecter parts. Can you see Mark Knopfler with a Schecter these days?

Same thing with Dean. I had the Cadillac back in the day and it was a great guitar - nothing like what they make now.

Tokai is the same as well. I had a used Tokai back in 87. It was really nice. They have a good rep now but anyone who had an old one will tell you they ain't what they used to be.

To the folks that never played the older models from these companies, I don't expect you to understand.

Not to mention Squier - they were brilliant in the 1980s. I played an old J-bass at college and it was almost comparable to my '78 Ric 4001 in terms of quality. I was also impressed with the '83 strat i played while i was in stourport. Now squiers, as much as i like the newer models for the rough feel of the neck, are absolutely awful compared to the older models.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Dean guitars definately lost my respect when they started shelling out 40 different Dimebag models right after he died. They could've done a reissue or whatever and let that be that, there really was no need for all these different variations on the same guitar, models that Dime himself never used, it was just all for milking the cash cow. I mean, their other artists have one or two models, it's ridiculous in comparison.

Never liked the looks of their guitars but for the above reason i'd never support them.

And @ Schecter: The Diamond Series Schecters aren't meant to be high-grade custom instruments, and are priced accordingly. Higher end models like the Hellraisers and Blackjacks are extremely good and blow off most of the competition in that price range. But the Custom Schecters, made in the US, are still top-shelf. Played one recently and it was right up there with PRS, both in quality and price unfortunately.
Quote by Aziraphale
Dean guitars definately lost my respect when they started shelling out 40 different Dimebag models right after he died. They could've done a reissue or whatever and let that be that, there really was no need for all these different variations on the same guitar, models that Dime himself never used, it was just all for milking the cash cow. I mean, their other artists have one or two models, it's ridiculous in comparison.

can you imagine if kurt cobain had used deans... geez... fender only released 1 signature model (well, 2 colours) then it got discontinued, then reissued, only to be discontinued again because a signature model that the guitarist himself didn't like = fail.

I thought dimebag used washburns anyway? or are they somewhat linked to dean? my knowledge of metal guitars is kinda fuzzy.
Rig Winter 2017:

I think Diamond used a Dean and Washburn made a copy of it.

I hate Pantera so I am not sure.

Dean made the guitar that was shaped like that for years. There is a Cars album where one of them has one on the back.
Bah, I never liked the direction Dean guitars was going in either. +1 to Zelinsky for realizing his company's guitars were 90% crap.
wait a sec - does this mean dean are gonna have to change their name?

i bet if they do have to change it it changes to "dime" since most of their guitars say "dime" on the headstock anyway...
Rig Winter 2017:

No dean may have founded the company but he sold it to a corporate entity. So if he leaves nothing will really change. Its just the way things are. They take something and run with it until its wore out then they find something new. And its always about money. Put somebody famous on the box and sell it for more.
/\ Very true

Am I the only one that thinks this is funny - the company still bears his name but he left because he doesn't want his name attached to a company that will still bear his name.

DEAN ZELINSKY: I Can No Longer Attach My Name To Quality And Direction Of DEAN GUITARS - July 22, 2008

Dean Zelinsky, founder of Dean Guitars, officially announced today that he has parted ways with the company that he founded in 1976, which still bears his name.
It would have been cooler if he was like

'I can no longer associate my name with the down right money raping of another mans death'

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Hmm, thats cool. I have played many Deans, and some of them are really good, and some of them are complete ****. I do like my Dime model, it was the original tribute guitar right after he died, and its one of the best I have played. But all the new ones are starting to go to hell. So does anyone have ideas on Zelinsky's new project? I would be happy if he started a custom shop or something like that, that made great guitars at decent prices.
Quote by SenorSmiley

couldn't have said it better
Sad part for dean is if he does another company his ideas arent his ideas to use anymore. Somebody else owns his ideas now.
It wasn't his since the 90s so who gives a ****.

it is some guy name Elliot something.

If you don't like Dean guitars than thats great for you.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jul 23, 2008,
wow.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why now? This would have made a lot more sense around 2 years ago, but now? I was under the impression the whole Dime thing had levelled off and they were more concentrating on their other lines...
Funny words.
Quote by herman ri2
It wasn't his since the 90s so who gives a ****.

it is some guy name Elliot something.

If you don't like Dean guitars than thats great for you.

Elliott Rubinson

------------------------------------------

So dean has jumped ship from dean again .... wonder if he'll go back to making furniture ... or weather he's just going to wait untill dean get themselves back to a decent level then come back .... and watch his company go into a creative decline for a 3rd time.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Hopefully he'll do something cool again.

Leo Fender formed G&L

Gary Kramer formed Gary Kramer Guitars (although he had more to do with the Travis Bean style Kramers)

Grover Jackson makes the necks for Quicksilver

etc....

I'm sure he has a lot of cool ideas and I'm sure he made a bundle by selling the name.

Good for him
Quote by herman ri2
It wasn't even his since the 90s

Thank god he is leaving because this guy jumps ship more than a ****ing sailer.IMO, he is a quitter and should of never came back on with the Dean team and should of kepted on selling chairs to The Brick.

and to the people saying "deans are rapingz teh dImes names" so is Jackson on Rhoads, and so is Gibson on Les paul.

You guys are hypocrites.

I hate nothing more than jackasses just jumping on the Dean sucks bandwagon when most of them never even tried one.

Am sorry but that is pathetic.

More than a little defensive, I see.

It makes sense though, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Rhoads designed the RR with Grover Jackson. Les Paul designed his guitar with Gibson. Dime did nothing of the sort with "Dean". The Razorback was created after his death, before which he used an ALREADY EXISTING guitar from Dean, and not a signature or unique guitar at all. And unlike the Razorback, the RR and LP are actually good (to say the least).

And I find it hilarious that Dean's corporate management is so disgusting that even the founder can't bring himself to stick around anymore.

Guess what? I have played a Dean. Several. They all sucked, except for one. And you know when it was made? The 80's.

Oh, and by the way, you rape the english language.
Last edited by Delanoir at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by Delanoir

Rhoads designed the RR with Grover Jackson. Les Paul designed his guitar with Gibson. Dime did nothing of the sort with "Dean". The Razorback was created after his death, before which he used an ALREADY EXISTING guitar from Dean, and not a signature or unique guitar at all. And unlike the Razorback, the RR and LP are actually good (to say the least).

And I find it hilarious that Dean's corporate management is so disgusting that even the founder can't bring himself to stick around anymore.

Guess what? I have played a Dean. Several. They all sucked, except for one. And you know when it was made? The 80's.

This. Although I do like the Razorback shape, I don't think I'd ever buy one that wasn't a USA. And if I was going to spend that much on a guitar, I'd just get a custom one by like RAN, where I could get the same shape and everything else I want for about the same price.
Quote by Delanoir

Rhoads designed the RR with Grover Jackson. Les Paul designed his guitar with Gibson. Dime did nothing of the sort with "Dean". The Razorback was created after his death
, before which he used an ALREADY EXISTING guitar from Dean, and not a signature or unique guitar at all. And unlike the Razorback, the RR and LP are actually good (to say the least).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Razorback

Your theory is flawed.

Oh, and by the way, you need to get laid.

*coughAlexiLaihowannabecough*
Quote by Martin Scott
Yeah I lost respect for Dean, ever since they started profiteering from a dead man.

So does Jackson.
Quote by herman ri2
So does Gibson and Jackson.

you do know les paul isn't dead dont you? ....

edit:ah late haha,

anyway what jackson have done with the RRv and what dean have done is hardly the same thing

a few models based on a design randy rhoads created, is totally different from loads of versions with dimes name stamped all over them, with the main difference usually being a paint job or a name that references an album.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by herman ri2
Is he? lol

Then Jackson it is.

It's ok, at 93 your practically dead.
Quote by tommyt
you do know les paul isn't dead dont you? ....

Just search it.

and yes, I feel flawed.
Page 1 of 3