Already modified my old Squier Strat - got V7 and V8 humbuckers in there from my Ibanez, and I actually attached them to the body by making screw holes in the cavity, so they're no longer attatched to the pickguard, so it's less "noisy" than before, and sounds a little fuller.

But what else can I do? I've got some blocks of good oak wood lying around, can I use that to fill out cavity space? Or, can anything be put between the pickguard and strings to alter the resonance of the strings, and therefore the tone? The pickups are well below the pickguard so there's no chance they'd push anything up and mute the strings...
Last edited by StiltonCheese at Jul 23, 2008,
But moving them away from the strings produces a warmer sound, and it's less noisy. If they're closer to the strings, they sound terrible. They're about 1cm away from the strings, so I think height wise they're fine.
If you're willing to spend a little, drop one of these in:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html

I put this in my Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster and it beefed up the sound tenfold. It's especially noticeable when you play it unamplified - you'd never know how much tone and sustain gets robbed out of those thin zinc blocks used in import Strats.
They're meant to be only a few mm away from the strings...

I believe there's a mod you can do to the V7/V8 humbuckers to improve them, if you're interested get in contact with CorduroyEW.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Modify the tone controls so that one acts on the bridge pickup. That means your pickup can be at a more better height and you can roll off the treble.