Hello there , Ive recently been applying for jobs , and have a year off from college. Ive also just finished writing my first solo album and my main band are well on our way to completing our first album also.

So the first thing I want to buy is amp (have got a Roland Cube 60 atm ) for progressive rock and metal , I need a very creamy thick but clear distorted rythym sound , definately rectifier sounding , something similar to John Petrucci's tone back in the early 90's or Michael Romeo from Symphony X.

The lead tone needs to be crystal clear and not get muddy or gritty when playing technical passages or solos , I also need shimmering but soft cleans.

I was thinking of either the ENGL Powerball (100w head , and a seperate half cab) , or the Line 6 Vetta 2 combo (would save me £400 from not having to buy a cabinet).

Are there any other amps that fit my description? My budget is around £1000 but I can stretch to £1,500.

My 2 main guitars are an Ibanez RG (H/S/H) with Swineshead pickups , and an 1982 Fender strat with kahler trem (S/S/S config)

Thanks Alot, Alexander.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
You could get a mesa 2:90 and a Mesa Triaxis. That's what JP was using on the LTE albums.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Oh yeah also sorry , but with high wattage amps , do they generally sound like **** at low volumes? Because even with my Cube I can get a nice tone out of it at band practise at at gigs , but at home practising I often find myself very frustrated with the sound (very gritty sounding , especially while playing in the upper register).
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

If you save up for a Bogner, it's well worth it. I have one, and in my opinion, it's the best amp I've ever played. Check out my review on the Bogner Ubershall, it's well worth it.

EDIT: Also, it's a master volume amp, so it sounds great at any volume.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
ENGL is a good choice, the one you've got there.
Peavey Valveking stack or the 6505 combo also works.
High watt tube amps don't really have a "low" volume like the 6505 combo. Attenuators let you play it at low volumes but I think they burn out the tubes quicker.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by Cynoxx
You could get a mesa 2:90 and a Mesa Triaxis. That's what JP was using on the LTE albums.

I had always wanted a boogie for a long time , but then I heard alot about how theyre incredibly overrated compared to some of the other amps of theyre kind on the market.
But regardless I will look into the Triaxis now , Thanks Cynoxx.
- Socrates

EVH 5150 III anyone? superb cleans, and SERIOUSLY nice gain channels?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by SideshowRaven24
If you save up for a Bogner, it's well worth it. I have one, and in my opinion, it's the best amp I've ever played. Check out my review on the Bogner Ubershall, it's well worth it.

EDIT: Also, it's a master volume amp, so it sounds great at any volume.

Yeah I remember a website that had lots of Bogner amp samples on it , and do remember them being very nice , but its been well over a year since i last looked into them. The fact that it sounds good at low volumes is very appealing tho , Thanks .
- Socrates

Thanks everyone for your recomendations , all of them are going onto my research list. Looks like im going to have a nice selection to try out and choose from .

BTW: I was wonder what kind of an impact different speaker cabinets would have on the sound. (of course the different speakers would sound different, but do some cabs respond better with different heads?)

Is it best to stick with cabs from the same manufacturer or is it alright (perhaps even optimal?) to use other makes speaker cabs?
- Socrates

Last edited by ChillofWinter at Jul 23, 2008,
^ different cabs will sound different, yeah. if you buy the matching cab, it's normally meant to be voiced for the head, but that's not to say you couldn't find a better-sounding one from another company.

haven't tried a vetta; they're meant to be nice, though.

engl: i'd take a look at a savage and blackmore as well.

i really liked the brunetti xlr-evo when i tried it. the head's about £1000 i think.

genz benz el diablo might be worth a try too, but they do seem to polarise opinion.

koch powertone would be worth a try too (i've tried the multitone and studiotone and they're nice).

try a cornford mk50 head too. not sure if they get just modern enough (or versatile enough), but the cornfords i have tried (i haven't tried that exact one) are great.

regarding low volume: they'll sound better up full, but most high gainers will sound decent at low volumes. engl especially are pretty good at that- brunetti too, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You dont want a Powerball. Theyre not the tone youre looking for. I'd say get a used Mark IV head and a Mesa Cab. JP's amp.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
i'm not sure, but i'd have thought you'd struggle to get a mark IV for his budget here, even used... they're like £2000 here new.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?