Im thinking of upgrading my valveking for a more metal sound. So thinking of a speaker replacement and valve swap to replace them crappy sovtek ones that come as stock.

I just looked around the back and I actually have Ruby 6L6s and JJ 12ax7s! These are good brands right? So do I not need a tube swap in that case?

As speaker im thinking celestion v30, but i've heard some bad things about using them for metal. Other popular opinions seem to be eminence swamp thang/texas heat, any opinions? We're talking early metallica, slayer, megadeth, and pantera type tone, although I know the vk probably won't get close to the latter.

EDIT: Why valvekings comes with all sorts of different tubes?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Last edited by fretblaze at Jul 23, 2008,
With speaker swap, OD and EQ pedal Metallica and other 80's thrash bands are possible to get rather close tone wise.

Most run V30's or the Clones... People talk about eminence but i havent heard any clips of them in VK's.

As for the tubes your are fine no need to change them out yet... JJ's are good and Rubys are ok to run until they go out..
lets it put it this way....you wont get a searing metal sound from that amp. changing the speaker will be like upgrading car speakers without changing the head unit. It may be a little better, but without the main component of the sound (the amp itself) changing, you probably wont get what you're looking for........i would either a) upgrade to a 6505 or 5150 combo for real metal tone; or b) get an OD pedal that can crank out some more gain.
Im thinking about buying a bad monkey instead/too. I've heard from many people though that the speaker swap is the best thing to do to better your tone from this amp.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass