Hi everyone, I am not on frequently due to RL, but as one of my side jobs i give guitar lessons. Now my students are still basic-intermediate, so teaching them how to shred is still out of the question. So basically, if you have any questions about licks or techniques just post in the forum and i will do my best to answer your question

I don't have a webcam or anything so i can't post a video of me playing, but I can do anything involving sweeps, legato, or speed picking consummately and accurately. I can alternate pick 16 notes per second. If you don't believe me, fine lol.

I will try to tab out examples for you depending on you question.
Last edited by sjceran at Jul 23, 2008,
My rhythm playing is clean but solo-ing is sloppy and unwanted strings are being buzzed/played.
How do I stop it?
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Ok, say you are ascending and just like shredding out a scale, how do yoou build up finger strength/speed for hammerons which is pretty much in this case what shredding is
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Always play clean when you practice, and go slowly. Make sure you play with your fingertips and that you finger is not touching any other strings except for the required notes. A cliche answer but it is the only way to stop it. Watch your pick hand too. Make sure you are picking the correct strings, and that you right and left hands are synchronized, so that they both pick and fret at the same time.
Quote by Polystant
Ok, say you are ascending and just like shredding out a scale, how do yoou build up finger strength/speed for hammerons which is pretty much in this case what shredding is

simple, 1-2-3, 1-2-4, 1-3-4, up and down the neck. Then go 1-2-3-4 up and down the neck. I usually go from the first fret to the twelth fret. in and ascending descending fashion. If you warm up with this then you will build up your finger strength in no time. MAKE SURE YOU FOCUS ON YOUR PINKY!!! The most important finger btw. try the eaxample i gave you, I used to do this all the time. Use the 1-2-4 and 1-3-4 finger positions for this. ALWAYS USE YOUR PINKY LOL. It will really help you in legato and picking. (And for everything else for that matter)

--8-10-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" "
-------------8-10-12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------" "
-----------------------9-10-12----------------------------------------------------------------------" "
----------------------------------9-10-12-----------------------------------------7-9-10-9-10-12
---------------------------------------------8-10-12---------------------7-8-10
--------------------------------------------------------8-10-12-7-8-10

Do it in legato and alternate picking (picking first to get the finger position memorized) I put it in the position for Hammer-ons btw!!
Last edited by sjceran at Jul 23, 2008,
i want to gallop better than i do something at the speed of iced earth,i do it fairly well but it seems like my notes dont sound strong enough but i pick pretty hard so how do i make them stand out more besides palm muting i know thats a must lol also can u offer any cool rhythm exercises please?
Quote by Metal Society
i want to gallop better than i do something at the speed of iced earth,i do it fairly well but it seems like my notes dont sound strong enough but i pick pretty hard so how do i make them stand out more besides palm muting i know thats a must lol also can u offer any cool rhythm exercises please?

Make sure you accent the first note in the triplets, otherwise they will not be separated. i wil give you an example, lol i tried answering you with three different posts, but each time i submitted i got a board error or some other crap like that some im a bit aggrevated lol.

e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-12---------13----------12---------10---------12----------13-------------8-10-7-12
E-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10--6--8--5-10
^Accent this type of note

palm mute the pedal tones, aka (10)
If you learn to accent notes, which you have to if you want to play fast, then your rythems should be fast and articulate. I hope i answered your question, if you still have more questions just pm me.
Last edited by sjceran at Jul 24, 2008,
any tips for not plucking the open string when pulling of quickly in a shred lick?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I just started playing and am having trouble with my fingers hitting other strings when forming chords. When I form chords I strum each string to see if another finger is touching that string and is muting it. Any thing I could do to improve my fingers not touching other strings. In addition, sometimes my palm hits the first string which will mute it.
Quote by DCH-guitar noob

lol... stfu.. i hope u mean tremo?

wait. there's no difference between tremolo picking and alt picking really fast right? you're confusing the hell out of me.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
this should probably be in the advanced techniques forum. shredding isn't really appropriate for the Guitar & Bass Basics forum.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by DCH-guitar noob

lol... stfu.. i hope u mean tremo?

that would require you to downstroke 8 times in one second....
and would be in between 64th and 128th notes in a standard 4/4, average BPM
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
okay, i have a question... how can I improve my legato playin? I just don't understand how people play entire solos legato... I pick nearly everything.. I can do little short legato licks, I just switch strings while playing legato because my pull-offs are a little sloppy. I can do hammer on stuff like this pretty fast:

e-----------------------
B-----------------------
G--7-h-9---------------
D--7-h-9-h-10--------
A--7-h-9-h-10--------
E--7-h-8-h-10--------

But I can't do the same simple lick using pull offs.... Changing strings and pull-offs don't mix good with me lol... Hammer ons seem way easier... with pull offs it's like you have to have your fingers already set up behind ready to pull off to... changing strings makes it even harder.... also, I can do pull offs on the high e string pretty easy, but when i I do them on the other strings I accidently hit unwanted strings... umm example: I'm doing pull offs on the b string, so when I pull off (you know when you do a pull off you pull down and out and flick the string sort of) I accidently hit the high e string.... anyways, any tips on perfecting pull offs and playing legato in general? what are some good exercises to practice?
I can not find a song to play. I looked through radiohead's songs and only learned a few rifts. So I have really held off learning a full song. So far I have learned only 1 Full song. Anything songs you could hint at? ( Already look through atleast 30 something threads)
Quote by Knowing
I can not find a song to play. I looked through radiohead's songs and only learned a few rifts. So I have really held off learning a full song. So far I have learned only 1 Full song. Anything songs you could hint at? ( Already look through atleast 30 something threads)

Don't worry about learning full songs man. I maybe learned 1 full song when i was practicing. The way I did it was i would search through songs and tabs and find a song that had a cool solo. I would pick it apart and learn the parts i liked. Then once i finished doing that i moved to another song. Some good songs to learn though are Satirway to Heaven, Hey Joe, Gun's and Roses' songs, or anything else you think sounds good.

*Alternate and tremolo picking are the same thing.

Yes i seriously can pick 16 notes per second. If you want to know how fast you play do this simple calculation (XY)/60. X=the beats per note. 16th note =4 Y= the metronome speed.
You divide by 60 to individualize seconds. BPM=now equal Notes per Second.

I can play 16th note triplets clearly and articulately at 160 BPM. Whe you divide by 60 you get 16NPS.

6(160)/60=16 nps
Last edited by sjceran at Aug 21, 2008,