i know so far all the

major chords (open shapes and barre chords)
minor chords(open shapes and barre chords)
dominanth 7th chords i dont know how to make progressions out of this ones they sound like shet

what are some of the other essential chords i need to know?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Dominanth barre chords are also quite handy.
also you really should have to learn power chords if you're gonna play rock

oops forgot to mention i know power chords as well

im not beginnerish beginnerish im just looking to expand my chord knowledge
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Open Voicings of C C7, Cmaj7, A, A7, Amaj7, Am, Am7, G, G7, E, E7, Em, Em7, D, D7, Dmaj7, Dm, Dm7

Major, Minor, Maj7, m7, and dom7 Barre Chords with the root on the E and A strings (E and A shapes). Once you can do this, you can play any major, minor, Maj7, m7, or dom7 chord.

Those are the important ones. While it seems like a lot, it's not that much. The chords with the same root are similar and easy to remember, and the barre chords are just the E and A chords with a barre behind them.
Open Voicings of C C7, Cmaj7, A, A7, Amaj7, Am, Am7, G, G7, E, E7, Em, Em7, D, D7, Dmaj7, Dm, Dm7

im kind of confused what open voicing means does it mean doing the chord with open strings instead of doing the barre version of it? like a C major chord instead of doing the barre version

i got most of those chords down i need to get the maj7,m7and the dom7
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I'll TAB out a few open voicings to show you what I mean:

C
e-0-
B-1-
G-0-
D-2-
A-3-
E--

Cmaj7
e-0-
B-0-
G-0-
D-2-
A-3-
E--

D
e-2-
B-3-
G-2-
D-0-
A--
E--

Em
e-0-
B-0-
G-0-
D-2-
A-2-
E-0-
Quote by stefan1988

dominanth 7th chords i dont know how to make progressions out of this ones they sound like shet

Minor 7ths and Major 7th chords will helpyou with this. The 7#9 is an important shap. Besides that, it really depends on what music you like. If you like bluesy and jazzy tension you cad add a ton of tensions to make your progressions sound more interesting. 6 chords are nice for anyone so are 6/9 chords.
I'll TAB out a few open voicings to show you what I mean:

yeah that's what i though they were open strings instead of barring them

Minor 7ths and Major 7th chords will helpyou with this. The 7#9 is an important shap. Besides that, it really depends on what music you like. If you like bluesy and jazzy tension you cad add a ton of tensions to make your progressions sound more interesting. 6 chords are nice for anyone so are 6/9 chords.

if you guys could write down a chord progression for me it be awesome so i can analyze ii how to plug them in

try keeping it simple

i learned all the dominanth 7th im trying to learn the major 7th in open voicings but i know most of them with the barring shapes
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
You should learn what makes the chords instead of learning a bunch of them. Know the notes of the chords and how to find 'em anywhere on the fretboard.
You should learn what makes the chords instead of learning a bunch of them. Know the notes of the chords and how to find 'em anywhere on the fretboard.

i wish i could but im a noob at theory at the moment im trying understand scales first but if you could explain to me or point to some links i appreciate it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I believe this site is full of lessons and tips here so you can start browsing 'em.

Learning a bunch of chords without rhyme nor reason for them are not going to help you on the guitar. Time to learn some theory.

It's not too hard but you'd be better off about learning one key and stuff that worked with that key. That would include chords, scales, pentatonics, triads, and modes that works with that key. Once you understand that key then you'll know how to deal with other keys.

When I learned my guitar (ages ago ) I started in the middle of the neck and started working with A minor which is in the key of C. I learned what I can with A minor and span the whole fretboard under that key. I used the CAGED system to link 'em up.

If the theory's not your bag then get a good songbook.
Quote by stefan1988
i wish i could but im a noob at theory at the moment im trying understand scales first but if you could explain to me or point to some links i appreciate it
You don't need to know a lot of theory to play the chords I described. However, a strong background in theory is helpful, so I suggest reading the link in my sig.

You are not supposed to be able to read through it once and understand everything!