So, I've been in this band for about a year and a half now, and we've all been together from the start since we're all friends. Now, this band IMO, is not that great. I honestly feel (without trying to sound like a dick) that I am by far a better musician than the other guys in this band, and the music that we play has just gotten stale to me. Recently, I started a second band with far better musicians who I feel that I have a lot more in common with in terms of personality, skill, and taste in music. The guys in the first band are now being total dicks to me because they feel betrayed because I started a second band. As time progresses, I feel more and more inclined to quit my first band, and really work at this second band.

My problem is that all of the other guys in my first band are really good friends of mine, and they feel that if I quit, then they couldn't replace me and they would have to break up. I really don't want to screw my friends over. I have tried dividing my time between both bands, and because it's summer, I can manage it. When school starts back up, there is no way in hell that I will be able to play in two bands, have a job, have a girlfriend, and still manage to stay on top of my schoolwork. I desperately need advice.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
surround yourself with better musicians, it makes no sense for you to be playing in a band with people nowhere near your skill level. If the music is more interesting maybe you're more naturally inclined musically than your friends.. don't let them drag you down if you might be playing with your right fit

are you plying shows with the other band? making any money? explain to them you dont think its going anywhere, still hang out and jam with them
Simple. Pick the band that you feel could work better together. A band is like a Business, and you should pick the peers who you feel you could accomplish the most with (whether they be friends or not). Also, I don't know how old you or your friends are, but a deciding factor for you could be your friends work ethic (how much they practice, if theyre really committed).
yeah im stuck playing in about 5 bands its really hard but you gotta be hard on(not get a stiffy) them as it is a business, and gott be with the best really.
wow, thats a bad position to be in... I would say that if I were you I would go with the second band, if the people in the first band are acctually your friends they would understand. Do whats best for you!

Good Luck

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
surround yourself with better musicians, it makes no sense for you to be playing in a band with people nowhere near your skill level. If the music is more interesting maybe you're more naturally inclined musically than your friends.. don't let them drag you down if you might be playing with your right fit

are you plying shows with the other band? making any money? explain to them you dont think its going anywhere, still hang out and jam with them

I am currently gigging and making money with both bands.

here's the first band's myspace www.myspace.com/penanceva

I play lead guitar.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Sounds like they're being b*tchy in the first band. My very best friend left my band and joined these really awesome musicians but I understood and I didn't act like a baby to get my way. I doubt it but do you think it's possible to convey to your friends that they are being unfair? If they were being dragged down wouldn't they want to move on?
This is the problem with making bands with your close friends. If it doesn't work out then emotions tend to get in the way and tempers can flare. I've experienced the same thing. I had a jam band with friends who weren't at the same musical proficiency as me (and they knew it too). It was hard enough getting them to learn songs let alone make them sound good. Constructive criticism was taken as an insult. Good friends only make good bandmates if you're on the same wavelength. Go with the better musicians as you won't progress with the other band and you'll just get more and more frustrated.

Also, if these guys are as good friends as you say they are then surely they'll eventually get over you leaving the band? If not then they aren't good friends.
Tell them you're honestly not enjoying the music you play with them, and they might understand. If they hold a grudge against you for it, then they aren't very good friends.