Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
ive seen this thread hundreds of times, but when i first started out sweeping, i could only do 5 string sweeps instead of three. it was odd. but work with just minor and major sweeps. you can find tabs on the internet to see what they look like.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
the easiest in my opinion is the 5 string a minor arpeggio. thats the first one i learned.

3 string sweeps are hard when done continuously because of the odd picking pattern. you have to "alternate" when you get to the first/last strings, lest you double pick the string.
^It's not odd if you learn how to do them correctly and play them slowly to a metronome.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Actually, there are two picking patterns that you can do when doing a three string sweep depending on what's more comfortable to you:

e-|10p-7-------7-10
B-|------7---7-----
G-|--------7-------
D-|----------------
A-|----------------
E-|----------------
    U    U D D D U
    U    U U D D U

The top is outside sweeping, and the bottom is inside sweeping.
Yeah, sorry about my previous post. I generally tend to think anything outside picking to be 'correct', as that is the way I play those types of sweeps. Sorry for making such an ignorant statement!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Never ever start with three string sweeps. Always go with 5 string sweeps when you start out. That way you can work down to 3 string sweeps and easily move up to 6 string sweeps. Hammer on or pick the e string part.

e------------------8-12-8-----------------------------12-15-12---------------
B--------------10---------10----------------------13-------------13-----------
G-----------9-----------------9----------------14----------------------14------
D-------10---------------------10---------14------------------------------14--
A----12----------------------------12/15-------------------------------------15
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never ever tell someone to never ever do something. Just because you didn't/had trouble doing something some way doesn't mean they will encounter difficulty from it/have problems. I see no problem with 3 string sweeps and gradually increasing the number to 4, 5, and 6 string.
Quote by TheShred201
I was referring to the post above yours....You said nothing about outside or inside sweeping, only that if you practice it's not odd....

Oh, well I was implying that outside picking is the 'correct way', although there really is no such thing.

^^And no, I don't think that you should begin with 5 string sweeps. Personally, I'd say start with two string sweeps, so you can develope your outside picking. But, again, this is coming from strict outside picker.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR