I posted a personal ad on a free website for musicians searching for jobs and a person already responded. Our first band practice is this Sunday at the Rock Center in downtown. Everything is professional.

The thing is I don't feel like I am good enough to be in a band yet, as I have only been playing guitar for 2 month now. Plus they want us to bring our own equipment to practice and all I got is my guitar and a cheap Marshall practice amp. I've been going over the music they provided (CD's were given so we learn the parts before practice) and it's fairly simple alternative rock stuff. I can play it all on power chords and it sounds fine. The lead parts are pretty slow and simple too. But I'm afraid they will be like, don't play power chords then I will be screwed because I'm not very good at switching regular chords or whatever you call them. Also, the other band members have a lot more experience and have been playing music a lot longer than myself. I'm afraid they will think I am complete crap and humilate me.

Am I jumping into this too fast?

Plus I kind of feel like a sell out, because none of this is my music and it feels meaningless.
Last edited by Derk4397 at Jul 23, 2008,
perhaps. just don't get raped if it ends up to be a hoax to lure you somewhere
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I would say that what they're looking for is confidence, as well as skill. If you can show them that you can have fun while you're playing, and play well, they might like you. Also, see if you can improv a lick for them.

^ don't be a pussy. This guy seems legit.
Tbh, if your gonna be playing lead, I would not go for it.

Rhythym, maybe.

Two months is something, but not alot to be going professional, unless you were like actually amazing.
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
have they heard your playing before? if not then it sounds like you just have an audition. if you're not good enough they'll probably just not invite you back. it'll probably be good experience though.
Yeah dude.....

Sounds like your not that good yet, I've been playing for over 2 1/2 years, and I've never had a gig or anything.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Well I already met the band leader at Starbucks two days ago to get the CDs and lyric sheet with the chord progressions....so it's not a hoax lol. Like he already has all of the songs finished, he just needs people to play the music with him live.
Last edited by Derk4397 at Jul 23, 2008,
Just go and try out. If you aren't feeling the music I wouldn't follow through with it.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
What was the website?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
sowhat360 +1

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
IDK man. Only two months? That not that long. What are you going to do if you play live and all you got is that small Marshall? But if you can get a dec rig and it's just power chords, it should be alright. Seriously, punk is fairly easy to play.
Quote by JagStang5246
What are you going to do if you play live and all you got is that small Marshall?

Same thing he'd do if he had a monster stack. Keep a sane stage volume so the sound man doesn't hate him forever for making his job bloody impossible, throw a mic in front of it, and run it through the PA.

I played a large outdoor festival when I was 17. I was using a 10W Peavey Decade. PLENTY loud enough.

Robbie Robertson (solo artist who started with The Band) did an arena tour where his main amp was a little practice amp under the stage. Can't remember what it was, though.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

/Facepalm.

2 months... wait about 1 or 2 years then try to join an alternative rock band.

Sorry to be the asshole of the thread but yes you are going to be humiliated.
Hey, Sid Vicious sucked, but he got somewhere, kinda...

You might wanna wait a lil' or like some people said it could be a good experience.
Quote by JagStang5246
Seriously, punk is fairly easy to play.

Black Flag

and to answer the original question if you don't like the music don't play it man
Quote by TheDaftestPunk
and to answer the original question if you don't like the music don't play it man

I have to disagree. Yes - everyone wants to be true to the art and true to their soul. However, making a compromise with your art is SO worth avoiding having a job in an office sitting in a cubicle under florescent lights!

Of course Derk's opportunity is probably only part time and he still has to have a job or whatever. However, even if he plays stuff that isn't his main interest, he gets the experience that will help him down the line...
When I was a teenager, I was a total metal head. I occasionally had opportunity to jam with some people my dad knew from work (yes, my DAD!! hehe) who would play stuff like Tom Petty, Pretenders, Spencer Davis Group, etc. I learned SO much from those experiences, and they really broadened both my tastes, and my playing.

CT

Ya it will be a good experience so I'll go with it if it happens. But I won't take it too seriously
Quote by axemanchris
Same thing he'd do if he had a monster stack. Keep a sane stage volume so the sound man doesn't hate him forever for making his job bloody impossible, throw a mic in front of it, and run it through the PA.

I played a large outdoor festival when I was 17. I was using a 10W Peavey Decade. PLENTY loud enough.

Robbie Robertson (solo artist who started with The Band) did an arena tour where his main amp was a little practice amp under the stage. Can't remember what it was, though.

CT

+1

The fact that everyone thinks you need 100W+ full stacks to play large venues (or even medium venues) these days is a testament to the skill of amp manufacturers' marketing departments.