http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/does-the-world-need-another-indie-band-870520.html

Probably the best article I've read in a long time, complaining of how the UK market is far too heavily saturated with ****-indie bands.

Everyone else fed up with it?
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
After reading the first paragraph I shall be reading on, only Scouting for Girls irritate me more than the Fratellis. Absolute garbage.

"Scouting for Girls are like the sound of Satan's scrotum emptying. They're abysmal."

Ha ha.
Last edited by Novacane... at Jul 23, 2008,
*Independent.

And they can hardly talk. It's not like they're not part of the media buying into the whole fucking thing.

Good article though.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Novacane...
After reading the first paragraph I shall be reading on, only Scouting for Girls irritate me more than the Fratellis. Absolute garbage.

whenever i think it can't get any worse, a band like that appears and pioneers a whole new level of crumminess. i mean, at least the feeling have more than ONE SONG.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Indie music is bland and unoriginal
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I can't be arsed reading that. From glancing at it, I'm assuming they know feck all about Indie music anyway.
good article

current indie is so bland, it's unreal

TS, nice avatar, reuben rock.. saw em live a few weeks before they split, which was lucky
Quote by blynd_snyper
The independent newspaper insults independent music. Hmm, funny.

The entire point of the article was to show how a well respected category of bands (as opposed to a definite genre) has transformed into the very thing it opposed years ago. Instead of innovators hiding in the underground, we now have cookie cutter chord strummers in the limelight.

Read the whole damned article before you come in here spewing your pathetic sarcasm.
there are now two types of indie in my opinion. the real indie and the mainstream piece of **** they try and call indie just to sound cool and hip. I used to think that listening to indie meant none of your friends had heard of the band names before and it was a different sound. something away from the ordinary. but now it's just gotten way too much hype and is loosing it's meaning.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
From what I see now, "Indie" is a genre, and "Independent" is a mindset. You can instantly say, "Hey, this is indie music." It's impossible to say "Hey, this is an independent band," without researching who they're signed to.
Quote by smb
"If we end up with 20 years of Tory government, it'll be The Pigeon Detectives' fault."

This article is gold
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I can't be arsed reading that. From glancing at it, I'm assuming they know feck all about Indie music anyway.

Glance again
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Novacane...
only Scouting for Girls irritate me more than the Fratellis. Absolute garbage.

"Scouting for Girls are like the sound of Satan's scrotum emptying. They're abysmal."

I liked that aspect of it too. I made the mistake of listening to the radio the other day, and after a while I just wanted to kill them, or myself. Scouting for Girls would be the first to die, if I had my way.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
"2008: Scouting For Girls' debut album reaches Number One. Indie eats itself "

that last line in the article just tops it off so nicely

and some of the other quotes are class too
I prefer The Fratellis to Kings of Leon.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I read this the other day, completly right. I especially laughed at the part where he couldn't distinguish a complation from a bands LP. Its also not that theres good indie music out there, theres just a lot of this sketchy pop stuff which is bollocks.
"It's such a ball-less, soulless"

Bill Hicks quote anyone? The truth, though.

He's right, though, but indie is a trend, and it is making millions of pounds recently, but by next year, it will have almost completely died. That's the problem when something becomes fashionable, it's days are then numbered. That is what I find so great about metal, it never goes hugely into fashion, but because of that, it never goes out of fashion.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Good article. Makes me feel better about hating that insipid crap.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by Badreligionrock
Glance again

well, I just read it. Indie isn't dead. There are plenty of decent, "true" indie bands about. That article just focuses on mainstream bands.

Also, the evil edge is right - US indie is where it's at.
I play indie music and I think this whole indie thing is complete and utter crap.

The term indie used to represent an undercurrent of music which went against the usual chart music, The music was often full of cultural and literary references, often very intelligent in writing and playing.

The playing was often very heartfelt and the musicians actuallyknew how to play.

Now it's a stupid title for any teenage garage band with long hair. Few of them can actually play.

As an indie keyboardist and bassist, it makes me want to cry
Genius

I don't know **** about indie bands anyway, but it was a genius article.

Magicedit: And yes, compared to you wacky Brits, American indie is where it's at. Although hipsters are starting to make everything that was once cool about indie uncool.
Last edited by stringmagician at Jul 23, 2008,
The term "landfill Indie" sums it up nicely.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by stringmagician
Genius

I don't know **** about indie bands anyway, but it was a genius article.

Magicedit: And yes, compared to you wacky Brits, American indie is where it's at. Although hipsters are starting to make everything that was once cool about indie uncool.

too true.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Also, the evil edge is right

I think that's the best I'm ever going to get

*reluctant sig*
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx

What is there to know about Indie?

Personally I despise indie and agree with that article.
We don't need anymore indie "bands".
Irony FTW.

Quote by The Dance Hat
Technology is completely unnecessary and complicates life.

The Gear

Ibanez XPT 700
Laney Hardcore MXD 30