Page 1 of 2
hey i'm new on the forums and i need a new guitar. i have been playing for about 2 1/2 years and i am upgrading from my fender MIM strat. i play alternative rock, blues, latin, metal, punk, shred, basically A LOT of stuff. so i need an extremely versatile guitar. I play through a peavey vavleking and i'm happy with the amp.

another thing is that i change to drop D tunings from standard and then back often so i think a locking tremolo is a no. same goes for other tremolos since they dont hold tune very well.

Budget: $900-1000USD give or take a few
Last edited by Epiphany521 at Aug 1, 2008,
How about a custom warmoth build?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
*cough*

Ibanez?

*waits to be flamed*

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by oneblackened
How about a custom warmoth build?

you mean like a diy youself project? if you do, i dont think i have the time/skills to put together a guitar

Quote by Chrisiphone
*cough*

Ibanez?

*waits to be flamed*

which model?
I'd go for an SG probably.

Its versatile in terms of genre cause it's not like, you know, a razorback where its specifically for one type of music.

It has a fixed bridge too so that solves locking trems.

Nice tone too, neck pickup very deep and warm, for your blues and that, and bridge nice crisp, sharp tone for shred, metal and anything else.
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
Quote by Chrisiphone
*cough*

Ibanez?

*waits to be flamed*

Whats wrong with Ibanez...?
Gear.

Ibanez Iceman IC400.

And Daron Malakians custom triangle pick.

Thats all you need to know.
Quote by Psycho4SOAD
I'd go for an SG probably.

Its versatile in terms of genre cause it's not like, you know, a razorback where its specifically for one type of music.

It has a fixed bridge too so that solves locking trems.

Nice tone too, neck pickup very deep and warm, for your blues and that, and bridge nice crisp, sharp tone for shred, metal and anything else.

well i'm not a big fan of the body size and the weight balance.

btw, i'm not a fan of gibson les pauls
Quote by Epiphany521
you mean like a diy youself project? if you do, i dont think i have the time/skills to put together a guitar

which model?

Dude, you can get the parts prefinished, they're already routed when you get them , all you need to do is put some screws together and wire stuff up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Dude, you can get the parts prefinished, they're already routed when you get them , all you need to do is put some screws together and wire stuff up.

yea i know but i dont want to mess up or get involved with that stuff. it might be easy but i'd feel a lot safer if i had a professionally made guitar
Erm how bout an eastwood, check them out very versatile. Jack white uses similar guitars and hes an amzing versatile guitarist and so does the live guy from feeder among others.

Yer llok up eastwood i did a lot of research on the only to find you had to pay about double for them in the UK
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by Psycho4SOAD
Whats wrong with Ibanez...?

Nothing
Just everyone suggests them!

E-Married to Funny_Page
ok i'm looking up eastwood guitars right now...

and guys if you could suggest specific models or at least product lines instead of just brands that would be really great. thanks
Try the air line town and country i think its called epic guitar with so many different sounds
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Quote by Epiphany521
yea i know but i dont want to mess up or get involved with that stuff. it might be easy but i'd feel a lot safer if i had a professionally made guitar

if you buy one that is front routed (namely a strat) you could buy a wired pickguard. then you'd only need to do three solder joints. 2 grounds and a hot. that's it. and Putting a hardtail bridge on isn't hard at all-it's mostly either putting the ferrules or the anchors in, then setting the intonation.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
but i'd much rather have a factory made guitar.

anyway i play mostly modern rock, but i also need it for a little of everything else. but mostly modern rock
Some form Of schecter, ESP, or Ibanez, maybe a Michael Kelly?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Some form Of schecter, ESP, or Ibanez, maybe a Michael Kelly?

well i checked out the hardtail schecter hellraiser and it was a fine guitar, but i'm looking a little more of an upgrade because i want this to be a guitar that will be worth for a while.

thats the highest model they sell i think (other than the FRs)

any specific models of ESP, ibanez, or michael kelly?
Michael kelly Patriot Custom? although its only like, 600 dolars so you could upgrade the pickups to your fancy....
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
sorry guys keeping this on the 1st page.

i still havent gotten any specific model suggestions
do they make a hardtail version of the prestige? because i change tunings occasionally and i heard its a pain
Quote by Epiphany521
well i checked out the hardtail schecter hellraiser and it was a fine guitar, but i'm looking a little more of an upgrade because i want this to be a guitar that will be worth for a while.

thats the highest model they sell i think (other than the FRs)

any specific models of ESP, ibanez, or michael kelly?

Just because a guitar don't cost a lot doesn't mean its not good.
Quote by schecter ftw
Just because a guitar don't cost a lot doesn't mean its not good.

still its a good guitar but its not the kind of jump i want off my strat. i played it in guitar center and it didnt have that big of a sound improvement.

but generally cost ROUGHLY determines quality. so i'm also basing it off price as well as general advice
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGT42FXQM

Throw some seymour duncan blackouts in

edit

also have another look at these if you like it
http://www.ibanez.com/EG/series.aspx?s=sv_prestige
because it has a weird spring system in the vibrato where you can lock it in place to become a hardtail, so you can choose to play hardtail as you wanted, but if you want a vibrato too then you can just turn something and it becomes a whammy

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Jul 24, 2008,
Maybe a schecter C-1 BlackJack ATX?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
They're quite good. in between EMG's and passive pickups in sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
bumped for more suggestions

($1000 to spend on a guitar. suited for alternative rock, modern rock, some metal, shred, and lower gain stuff like jazz and latino. must also be able to do cleans)
Quote by Epiphany521
tonewise whats the difference between actives and passives?

Actives are powered by a battery, and sound cleaner, bordering on sterile. Passives require no battery but are influenced by the wood.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
If you can get over the fact it's a les paul body, Michael Kelly Patriot Customs are really nice guitars for the money! look them up on musiciansfriend.com
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
i have nothing against les paul bodies is just that my bandmate has one and i dont want to seem like i'm "copying" him. i know its minor.

i'll check it out
why are all the guitars suggested around the 600-700 range or lower? are there no good guitars for me in my 1000 USD price range?

also what do you guys think of the ESP Deluxe EC-1000
Page 1 of 2